It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

Irishgal HB User
foot operation for arthritis

has anyone had a foot operation for arthritis. im getting one in a week but i dont know exactly what its called. i know that my doc is gonna remove some bone from my big toe so i can bend it. its not gonna fix it forever, hopefully for a few years. would like to know if anyone else has had it done and what the results were like?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: foot operation - arthritis

Well, first of all, you shouldn't have any surgery when you don't know what it's called or what all they are going to do. Sounds like it might be a cheilectomy (keye-lek-toe-me). Try looking that up and see if it's what they said. And then call the doctor back and ask for more info. All surgeries have risks and rehab that you must do. Have you asked about that? Will you be weight bearing or non-weight bearing? Crutches or walk out of hospital? Will you have physical therapy afterwards? How long before you can wear regular shoes? Are you very active - jog, work out, dance, etc? What level of activity will you be able to do afterwards? And why is it only good for a few years?
If only for a few years, what's the reason for doing it at all...and what's the next remedy if true? And what kind of doc are you going to and what was the diagnosis?

Simply put, you just don't have enough info to be having any kind of surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

Irishgal HB User

the doc i have is the same doc who did my hip replacement last year and he is an amazing surgeon. one doc suggested i get a metal plate put into my big toe to fuse it so i dont bend it ever again but cos im 26 my own surgeon thought it was a little bit drastic since i am so young so he said that if he removes some bone from my toe, i will be able to move it more and bend it and not have pain and be able to wear normal shoes until its time for a toe fusion. with the toe fusion my toe will stick about an a centimeter or two off the ground so i will be limited to the shoes i can wear which he understands so he doesnt want me to have to go through that right now
i should be in the hosp for about 4/5 days, not as long as the hip replacement which was a week. i will be doing physio while im at the hosp and i will be on crutches for about 4-6 weeks. i wont be able to put any weight on it for about 2 weeks at least. he told me that its going to be a lot more painful than the hip replacement, which im not looking forward to.
so i do know a lot about what is happening to me. i jsut wanted to see if anyone else on here has had it done and how successful it has been for them
x

Old 03-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

i'm still not sure exactly what procedure you are having done. Sounds like a cheilectomy but you walk on it and it's outpatient surgery. So if you're in the hospital
what you're having may be an osteotomy with screws as you can't walk on it. Would seem your DX is hallux rigidus - unless it's bunions with the arthritis.

Anyway, I had the cheilectomy and it was pretty simple. I'll need to have the other big toe done eventually - it just wasn't as bad. They cleaned out the bone chips and spurs and cut away some bone. I was told the next step is an implant and then fusion after that. So you might want to check into that when this procedure is no longer working. I jog, dance, wear heels...no 3" spikes but I can wear mid-heels.
Am very glad I had the procedure. Good luck to you....

Old 03-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

Irishgal HB User

thanks for the reply. i dont expect to be wearing huge heels. just anything at all would be great since all i can wear are trainers. i cant jog or anything cos of my hip. if i run i will wear out the replacement sooner than it needs to be so just being careful with it. hoping it lasts 25 years or so

Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

SoCalSharon HB User

Hi Irishgirl,
I had a procedure in 1/03 where a section of bone was removed from my big toe for arthritis, it was the same type of surgery they use for some bunions: a Keller bunionectomy. I was 43. It didn't go well. It was really short and despite attempting to bend it repeatedly after surgery I developed hallux rigidus aka. it was stuck up and painful . Then a pod put in an implant called the metal hemi-toe which might have been ok except it was "not seated properly" aka. crooked. In the process of figuring all this out I saw a few podiatrists and an orthopaedic surgeon - one of whom invented the hemi - toe. They all said they would never have done the first procedure on someone so young and that I should've had a silastic implant or the hemi toe in the first procedure. So in 7/05 I had a bone graft from my hip and a fusion. Now, in two weeks I'll be getting the plate and 5 screws from that surgery removed. I'm in pain almost every day in my toe and now in my hip too. The original problem wasn't going to get any better but I wish I had received more opinions before the first surgery. Many people have had worse and better than I, and I didn't know about this board then either. It has been a Godsend. I certainly hope you end up in the better category . Keep us posted.
Sharon

Last edited by SoCalSharon; 03-25-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

ugatah HB User

I had surgery for arthritis and hammer toes two years ago. It has been a disaster. I'm in more pain than I ever was then. You MUST do your homework before having any surgery. You need to know exactly what the doctor will do. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
(female)

Lindac61 HB User
Re: foot operation for arthritis

Hi - I have just got over having my foot done for the second time. I had the bone shaved and shaped in my big toe with a screw put in and the next 2 toes broken and reset and 'scewers' put in to keep them straight the 1st time - these catch on everything-be careful. It took about 12 weeks all in all. 6 weeks in plaster then 6 weeks in a splint. Painful for about a week then it doesn't ache. Mind you if they say keep your weight off it and sit with it up in the air - DO IT. Its mind numbingly boring and it will drive you crazy. You also get a very attractive velcro shoe which is adjustable!!!! If your lucky enough that someone comes and takes you out in the car don't walk anywhere too far. Its best in the long run. I had to have it done again last November- had to have the 2nd & 3rd toes bones removed completely. Had to go through it all over again. All I can really say is that now I can walk much better without that bone crunching tingling pain and my feet no longer 'go to sleep' for no reason - although it has taken about 2 months for my feet to feel right again they are much better and just to be pain free it is definately worth it. The best advice I can give you is Get yourself something to do. I got a home study course this time - last time I put on 2 stone so .....STAY AWAY FROM THE FRIDGE!!!!! Good luck!!

Old 03-31-2006, 04:35 AM   #9
(female)

janieab HB User
Re: foot operation for arthritis

Yes, I had foot surgery in November. I have RA. Big toe joint was removed and 2nd and 3rd toes were fused. I actually have to do it all over again in the next month or so because my surgeries "didn't work". This time my big toe will be fused. My other toes will be re-worked also.

I had a 2nd toe fusion 11 years ago because of my RA. That surgery was very sucessful. Pain relief is a great thing. My problem is that RA likes to attack other joints over time....hence the need for more surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and the first week or so will be challenge post op but the long term results are worth it. Main thing.........put your foot up and keep it iced. Make sure the foot is higher than your heart!

Closed Thread