It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
(male)

mmusilli HB User
Glucosamine and Condroitin for Arthritis

Hi... I have OA (actually, it is degenerative disc disease, but is OA of the disc) and have done alot of reading about the natural supplement Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM.. I read a book called THE ARTHRITIS CURE, which says that it can help OA and RA as well.. Long story short, I asked my Dr and physical Therapist about it, and they said that they are hearing more and more good things about it. This sounded promising, because usually, doctors snuff alternative or natural supplements. But I also have a friend with RA and her son is also a Dr, and part of her regimen includes Glucosamine... She swears by it and after a year of misery, she says that she found the right mix...... Not saying it was ONLY the G, but she says it is part of it... Does anyone have any comments on this? Any success stories?

Thanks,

Maurice

Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kops2da HB User
Re: Glucosamine and Condroitin for Arthritis

I have arthritis of my knees and have taken glucosamine/chondroitin for about 5 years and certainly think it helps a lot and has postponed a knee replacement. I feel it is a good supplement. Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
(male)

mmusilli HB User

Wow... that's encouraging.. Do you know anyone with spinal OA (degenerative disc desease, or arthritis of the discs) that has success with glucosamine?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I read "The Arthritis Cure" in 1999. (Have a note on a paper in my book with the date on it)
In '99 I was having problems with OA in both knees.
I faithfully began taking Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM.
After a year or so I decided it was just trendy nonsense and stopped taking the stuff. They are really not cheap suppliments and I was tired of paying for them.

OPPS. Stopping that was mistake. Knee pain got much worse.
I began once again taking Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM faithfully.
Knee pain sensations got better a couple months after restarting.

Since then I have worse knee OA and have developed rather painful OA up my entire spine. During that time I've also developed OsteoPorosis on top of the OsteoArthritis all up my spine. Those combine to create a 10% scolosis (curvature) in my Lumbar spine already.

So from my personal experience I can tell you it definately lessens my OA knee pain and I continue taking it, even, today for that very reason.

..but does NOT stop the OA from becoming physically worse and it defiantly doesn't do a darn thing for my spine.
Does not even lessen pain sensation in my spine.
It HAS made my hair wave oddly and weakened my fingernails (Those are known possible side effects)

Saw a TV news segment this year concerning this. Some medical scientists did a study with a "test group" over a lengthy period. The results were that basically...no, Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM has no real physical effect on OA at all, though many of the test group did report less knee pain sensation.

Then I saw a new release condeming the study because it did not take into account the amount of Glucosamine with Condroitin plus MSM needed per the weight of each individual, but rather used standard dosages. Heavier people apparently need more in order to obtain a benifit.

So if it helps lessen your pain, take it.
Be AWARE Condroitin is a big natural BLOOD THINNER.
AVOID Condroitin if you are taking any form of blood thinning medication or an aspirin treatment.
You can get Glucosamine without Condroitin.
The MSM is basically a Sulfer that helps you absorb the other 2.

I can tell you how I lessen the sensations of both the spine and knee pain.
Begin sleeping on your side with a knee contour pillow between your legs just above the knees and a traditional pillow between the legs just below the knees (leaving the sore knees not touching anything).
These pillows have the effect of keeping your skeleton in a more natural less stressful position while you lay there. Less stress on the skeleton means less stress on all the muscles and nerves around the arthritic joints. Less skeletal stress = less pain.
This worked wonders for me in 3 short nights.
I have been useing them every night for over a year now and I am NEVER voluntarily sleeping without them again.
The pillow idea has been a miricle pain relief as far as my spine is concerned.

Last edited by snowmelts; 04-29-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
(male)

mmusilli HB User

Thanks for the info snowmelts.... Lots of good info there... Most of what I read about Glucosamine is about knees, and rarely about spine, so this is why I asked... I will keep taking though... Never know... ALso, the book Arthritis Cure clearly states that this is not the only step to the arthritis cure.. They have a 9-step process... Mainly, take the supplements, excercise the joints, use correct posture / biometrics and have a positive attitude.. Apparantly, without excercising the joints, you dont "lubricate" the joints, and that is why it is important.. SOrt of like spraying grease on a squeeky hinge.. If you spray it, you need to move it back and forth to get it to stop squeeking..

Thanks again for your info..

M

Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
(female)

geifer HB User

When I was in the hospital in Feb. a doctor came in to talk to us and he said his brother took it for three months before he noticed any differance. I also have DDD and I started it about two months ago but I did notice this winter my knees were starting to hurt and I haven't had the problem since. I have been taking it for my back also but if it helps it can't hurt. Godd luck take care and stay safe geif er

Old 04-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Oh yeah, I'm very intimately familiar with the "snap, Crackle, Pop".
I find a just ten minutes on a stationary bike ..set for NO resistance at all.. helps my knees feel a little more lubricated.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #8

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post Re: Glucosamine and Condroitin for Arthritis

Glucosamine Chrondrotin helps me, but it tears my GUT up. I just cannot take it.

MSM is on my daily regimen and I know I couldn't exist without it.

ALSO, another thing I will NEVER EVER BE WITHOUT is TRAUMEEL. If I were stranded on a island and could only have one med it would be TRAUMEEL.

Do a google on it if interested. It has healed soooooooo many things for me.....sciatica...and helped facet joint, ddd and arthritis of the spine and many other parts of the body. It's amazing stuff with no side affects....except maybe a little more energy. HEY.....what's not to LOVE !

TRY IT ...........you'll like it ..............if you feel led that is.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

Do you use Traumeel ointment, or the tablets? Glucosamine does nothing for me. I have bad arthritis in my knees. I currently take Mobic and it takes the edge off. I am willing to try anything, and i keep hearing Traumeel mentioned

Old 04-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #10

BlessingsGalore HB User

I take the sublingual tablets. They melt under your tongue. Be sure to get the HEEL brand they are the one's who made them.

AND PLEASE let me know how they do for you if you try them. They have been a miracle drug for me. Homepathic med I should say.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I just ordered them. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I had alot of hope with the glucosamine because it is supposed to be beneficial for moderate and severe arthritis.

Last edited by Ilovetocruise; 04-30-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #12

BlessingsGalore HB User

You can take up to two tabs a day. I take one in the AM and one after lunch to get me through the dinner hour. It has really enable me to be able to get dinner made most days.

PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED.

A ton of us took it on a fibro board I was on. The one's it helped, it helped immediately. Mine helped by the time the thing dissolved.........I'm really sensitive to meds. ONLY A VERY, VERY FEW felt like they did not help them at all.

They are using it in Florida with Children who have cancer with great results, for all sorts of stuff. Can't wait to hear.

By the way, Ilovetocruise...................I'm leaving on an Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks.

Last edited by BlessingsGalore; 05-01-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #13
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

Have a great time in Alaska....we are going the first week of August. I hope the Traumeel kicks in and helps soon, because i want to enjoy the trip. I have fMS also, so i really hope this works.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #14

BlessingsGalore HB User

You're going to Alaska ? Great ...........we can't wait.

Let me know how it works for you.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
(male)

mmusilli HB User

Never heard of TRAUMEEL, but will definately take a look and give it a try.. A friend told me to try coral calcium and that if he stops, his carpul tunnel acts up, and as soon as he starts again, it feels better.. So, I take Gluc, coral and why not... Traumeel..

Thanks for the info..

Closed Thread