It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
(male)

vtx HB User
Hip Arthritis, mysteriously goes away??

Hi all, I'm new here so be gentle.. (lol)

I sought out a BBS like this to describe something that recently happened to me, and wondering why.

About 5 years ago (age 48'ish?), I experienced a mild discomfort in my right hip while walking. It slowly but surely worsened with each passing year,, coming and going in intensity from week to week.

I'm not a "go to the Dr. with each new pain" type of guy, but this was getting out of hand. I went to a highly suggested orthopedic surgeon for an Xray, exam, and consultaion about 3 years ago.

He came into the room with Xrays in hand, and said; "Yep, you've got arthritis in your right hip Mr. Vtx, and all though it don't hurt too much now, it SHALL get worse as time passes.. AND, you've got it in the left hip too.."

"Arthritis!?" I laughed. That's something that Grandpappy Amos (Walter Brennan) had in the "Real McCoys"! NOT ME!

He offered me a double hip replacement now? Or later.. My choice. (you gota be kidding me! says I)

He said; "You'll know when it's time.. when you can't put your socks on anymore"

I walked out as white as the background of this message.

As time passed, the pain in my hip went from annoying to excruciating. A wrong leg angle felt like a dagger was stabbing into the joint, totally debilitating.

The general pain would radiate down my leg, sharing the fun with my knee and ankle, both shouting in pain. I'd walk with a little hobbly'd-hop gimp, looked just like Grandpappy AMOS!

Worst part was sleepless nights. Couldn't sleep on either side for more than a min, and the pain was withering. After short walks with my wife, a game of tennis, etc, I paid for it with screaming pain sensors laying in bed wide awake until the wee hours of the morning.

I was pretty much at my end, and the thought of hip replacement surgery (scares me to death) was becoming an acceptable option. At the current rate of decline, I would surely be wheelchair bound within the next 2 years.

One day, about 8 months ago, I came home from work, and helped my blushing bride clean the backyard. I stood and walked for over 2 hrs out there, and knew that I'd be up until sunrise with both hips in agony to pay for it. (standing in one place was the worst aggravant).

I awoke the next morning.. hm? No pain? Must've been a fluke.. but I'll TAKE IT!

Long story short.. Since that day (8 months ago), I have not had one slight bout of hip pain. I can sleep all night on either side, no problems whatsoever. I've climbed a nearby high mountain timberline with my pal (TWICE!) and as he was puffing and wheezing, I could've done again.

I've stretched my leg in positions that used to create dagger pains to pass out from, with no problems?

I've jogged, played tennis, and stuff that I'd long since given up upon just to press "my luck". Not a pinch of discomfort, not a click of joint noise, not the slightest sense of hip or joint malfunction??

I took no pills, no clucimine (sp?) or cod liver oil. I had no special diet and ate the same things I've eaten all my life. I did no special excercises, and actually went to church fewer times since then! (excluding holly absolution, lol)

I'm not a believer in miracles or an overly religious man. If indeed a miracle was to be given, I feel there are MANY other folks who deserve it more than me.. for sure! LOL.

But I'm here to tell you, in all honesty, that my hip issues are totally gone at this time. No surgery, no medicines.

Will they return? I fully expect so, but as of this writing I've enjoyed a full year's respite from the eye poping agony that is hip arthritis.

I'm affraid to go back to the ortho dude and tell him. It may break the spell.. LOL! Until then, I'm cured.

Has anyone ever heard of this?? Or can it be explained?
I really, REALLY wish I could share the comfort of having 20 year old hips again with those suffering as I did.

Very truly,

VTX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Hip Arthritis, mysteriously goes away??

First off I'd totally avoid the doctor. If your other hip was normal there's no way he would know if you will or will not have arthritis in it later on in life and he had no business offering you a surgery you didn't need. I'd fear him!

Arthritis can't be cured and it never goes away. I'm not sure what happened to you but I'd count my blessing and be greatful! (Miracles do happen)Try not to abuse the hip too much, just because you're feeling great today doesn't mean that tomorrow won't come and the pain will come back. Try to maintain that "remission" period for as long as you can by avoid high impact sports or exercises and excessive weight gain. Appreciate it for what it is, a pain free hip! I hope it continues for you for many years

Barbie

Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

Vtx I just saw your post, because I jumped onto this board because I just found out I have arthritis in my shoulder however, I have a story similar to yours regarding my hip.

Around 4-5 years ago, I had been having pain on and off in my right hip. Rather bad in fact and it was affecting my daily living and sleeping too.

One night, I awoke to go to the bathroom. Stepped off the bed and basically crumpled to the floor writhing in pain. My hip pretty much gave out on me completely. Why I didn't let my husband call an ambulance that night is beyond me. Sometimes we can be so stupid with our health.

Anyway, I spent several weeks in the most severe pain I ever can remember being in. In retrospect, if I had to rate the pain from 1-10, I definately would give it a 10. Possibly more. I don't even know how I made it to work every day. I commute from NJ to NY and remember walking so very slowly once I'd get off the train, to the bus which took me across town, like an old women (I was only 42ish at the time). I kept thinking my hip was going to crack apart.

Went to the doctor, had an MRI, and it didn't show much of anything! Nobody could explain what was going on. Attributed it all to back issues I was having, but I really felt it was something more that they just didn't catch. Nutty things went through my head, like bone cancer. The pain was that bad.

Anyway, suddenly one day, it just disappeared, just like yours did. It has been well over 4 years now and while I do still have minor aches on rare occassions, there is no comparison at all to what it was.

Pretty weird, huh? I'm counting my blessings too :-)

Old 06-16-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
(male)

vtx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah
Anyway, suddenly one day, it just disappeared, just like yours did. Pretty weird, huh?
Hiya sivyaleah..
I'm glad you dropped this note. Now I KNOW that I'm not crazy (probably not? LOL). Boy oh boy, if we could "bottle" this blessing we both share? Can you imagine the profit on sales? Ha.. (all kidding aside. if I could share it, I most certainly would, in a heartbeat)

Thanks again,, Vtx

Old 06-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #5
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

vtx - This is not a fluke - i also have experience this similar situation like u.

back in 1997 my hip was in excruitating pain for about 3 months. I thought i would had to limp forever.. i found this arthritis book in the library at that time that mention drinking cod-liver oil and mixing it up with orange juice. it is said to help "lubricate" the joint. so i actually believe in that book and drank it religiously. my mother also keep forcing me to see a massager... i hate going to the massager because he was so nosy and always commenting how skinny i was. i came home feeling depressed... i headed straight to bed and cover my head with the blanket crying... then all of the sudden my crazy brother jumped onto the bed and squash me... and I yelled out. my brother didn't know i was sleeping in the bed with the blanket covered.. we were sharing the same bed.

the following morning... it was a miracle... my hip pain was all gone. i believe in that the hip pain could have some connection to the nerves in their wrong place. rubbing your hips with spicy oils may help in relaxing the nerves.

don't be too happy yet... the hip pain strike back in 2005. i wish i have done some research on my hips... it's already too late now. i now found out that hip pain is telling you that you are doing things that are straining your hip joints, i.e carrying heavy objects, sprinting, walking fast etc. secondly, you hip lack nourishment.. i am currently taking glucosamine/msn in the hope to rejuvenate the loss cartilages.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Most likely you all have been experiencing "inflammation" of the hip or whatever. Inflammation can be debilitating and when it decides to go away you will have relief.

I currently suffer from inflammation in knees and hips. Some days are worse than others. Just waiting for the inflammation to decide to go away. I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds, causes stomach pain.

Do you ever hear of rheumatism anymore? Most likely what we have is the old fashion rheumatism like our grandparents suffered from in years past.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

Can rheumatism affect a 40 year old? I thought that was only an older person's ailment?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Rhuematism is an old generic term for RA, OA, Lupus, Psoratic Arthritis, Fibromyalgia etc etc... it is not a specific disease or illness but a term used instead for various illnessess or conditions. The term itself is rarely ever used the days because doctors opt to use the actual illness term instead.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
(female)

Donte HB User

I have had RA since early 2003. I too have had this happen to me not only in the hips, but also in the elbow and the shoulder. The pain would last for months. Even with high powered RA drugs, I could still feel the tender spot for a long, long time. And then one day, it's gone, but not for good. Several months will pass and I'll feel pain/discomfort again, but not as bad. I think this is what arthritis does. It comes and goes.

If your hip bones are eroding, you should be taking something to stop the erosions. I say go back to the doctor and get an mri to see if everything is the same. You don't have to have pain for your bones to erode.

Really, I would suggest going to a rheumatologist so you can be properly diagnosed.

Good Luck to you.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Do you have OA or RA or one of the other types of arthritis?
Is your pain from the groin area of your hip joint or from the outter side?
How about Bursitis of the hip?

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/bursitis/DS00032/DSECTION=all&METHOD=print[/url]

I have OA (Osteoarthritis) in my knees and entire spine.
My hip began to hurt too.. ooohhh so much sharp pain radiateing from the outer flank down to my knee.
But I was busy with a sick relative and so put off taking care of me.
WE are talking pain here.
finally froced by 24/7 hip pain to the DR.. sent for X rays.. no osteoarthritis there.. sent for an MRI.. the report from that said Greater Torcantic Bursitis.
Sent to a bone guy.
Bone Dr says no OA in the hip so there is nothing to do since it says Bursitis and your PCP can treat that.
I beggged him for the Steriod shot to get rid of the Bursites.
He ordered the med and I went back and got the shot.
The thing is with the shot they can only shoot it directly into one spot.
I had the Burisits is multiple areas of the hip so on top of the shot he ordered Physical Therapy.
3 days later the pain in the shot spot was gone (OH, the wonderful relief, how nice)
So I worked on the other painful areas through PT which, actually, did very little to help.
So for a couple years.. yep..couple years I have had this nagging, sometimes very bad,very sharp, hip pain but there is NO arthritis in the hip.

Now I am seeing a Chiropractor and he is working on my spine and neck.
He is FANTASTIC. My hip bursitis is almost completely gone. I mean almost no pain what so ever.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
(female)

emh1960 HB User

When I read the original post, I, too thought it might be bursitis, because it is inflammation, and can go away on it's own. I wouldn't have gone to an Ortho guy first, I would suggest going to Primary Care doctor. My PCP just told me I have bursitis just based on my symptoms...mild pain at night, moderate pain throughout the day. I had been walking 3.5 miles a day and lost 40 pounds, and then started to have the hip pain. She prescribed PT first, and if that dosen't help, cortisone shot. She also said to stop walking for a few weeks to let the inflammation go away, but I am afraid to regain the weight. However, I am going to stop walking for at least a month next month because I am having bunion surgery. If the rest dosen't help, I'll go for the PT and possible future cortisone shot.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx
Hiya sivyaleah..
I'm glad you dropped this note. Now I KNOW that I'm not crazy (probably not? LOL). Boy oh boy, if we could "bottle" this blessing we both share? Can you imagine the profit on sales? Ha.. (all kidding aside. if I could share it, I most certainly would, in a heartbeat)

Thanks again,, Vtx
Oh no, you're NOT crazy. I myself had an epsiode in January of intense hip pain that worsened to the point I could not walk without assistance. Several days after it was at it's worse, it suddenly disappeared.

Sal

Closed Thread