It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

cal04 HB User
Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

I am scheduled for the thumb CMC repair surgery on July 13th and am also very nervous and trying to decide whether or not to have a block vs. anesthetia. What did you wind up doing, and how did it go? I was told the surgery takes about 90 minutes, so I'm afraid I might go stir crazy if I'm not out. I am pretty hyper. How are you doing post op? Did they insert the rolled up tendon for your operation and did they remove the trapezium? I'm hoping that this surgery has become routine to the point that the docs are pretty good at it.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who's been through this procedure and recovery. I am not getting pins, fusion or an artificial joint.
Lisa

Last edited by moderator2; 07-01-2006 at 08:28 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cal04 For This Useful Post:
salliekey (07-24-2012)
Old 07-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
(female)

dmraruba HB User
Thumbs up Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

I have had it done to both my thumbs. My right had to be redone. The first surgeon did not fill in the empty space and I develped major scar tissue with and problems. I blame the surgeon , but wont go into that. My 2nd Hand surgeon I went to is great!!! The right was done Nov 28, 2005 and the left was just done May 1 2006. Yes the 2nd surgeon removed the trapezium and rolled up tendon which he took from my forearm. He also place a temporay pin for stabliity. I was only cased for 10 days, then sent to OT to begin moving tip of thumb and fingers. 10 days later the temporay pin came out and to continue with OT. It is not a piece of cake by all means, but the out come is worth it. Make sure you have an extra hand around to tie shoes, and help get dressed, no zippers or buttons. Still some swelling from the one in May, but coming along. Good Luck

Last edited by dmraruba; 07-01-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

cal04 HB User
Re: I am scheduled for the thumb CMC repair surgery

I had the thumb excison arthroplasty 17 days ago. The first two days were pretty uncomfortable and I just rested and took the pain meds. I went back to work on the fourth day and felt fine. I didn't need the pain meds after day two.I had lots of swelling for about 5-6 days and my arm and hand were very bruised. I had a splint for the first week, and then after the stiches were out,a cast which left my other fingers and the thumb tip free. I go back on Wednesday for a waterproof cast, but I'm going to try and talk my doc into a splint instead. He said the cast is worn for 4 weeks, and I've already had it for 10 days. My hand doesn't hurt and I'm using my arms and other fingers without any problem. I'm ready to do the right hand as soon as I can. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the thumb joint operates when I get the cast off in two days.

The Following User Says Thank You to cal04 For This Useful Post:
salliekey (07-24-2012)
Closed Thread