It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

mimi423 HB User
remicade, humira, embrel or orencia

Hello, I have decided to switch from methotrexate to one of the above meds and I need some help deciding. My doctor will only tell me that all are available, he will not recommend one over the other. I have mild RA, for 5 years now but my doctor tells me that the new meds are less toxic to the system that methotrexate so that's why I'm switching. I do know that I will still be taking methotrexate for a little bit in conjunction with whatever new med I pick. Cost is not a concern as I have GREAT insurance that will cover which ever I pick. Any comments? Thanks to all for your time. Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User
Re: remicade, humira, embrel or orencia

Dear Mary, I tried Humira first, but it did not help my hands (which are my main area of arthritis). Then I tried Enbrel, which DID help my hands. I have stuck with it for 2 years. I have not really had any side effects, except when I get a flu it can last longer than average. I do not seem to pick up more colds than anyone else. I had to stop Enbrel a couple times when I had the flu, but was able to go right back on it. I really do not want to try Remicade because the process seems so involved with going for infusions, but I know someone who is much improved on it. Either Enbrel or Humira are easy to use-a once a week injection. I am not familiar with orencia. Good luck! Kera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

rennah77 HB User

Hi Mary,
I am on Humira and it has done wonders for me. I have been on it for a couple of months now. I started with the Remicade, which I had to go to the doctors office for infusions (2-3 hrs process), but my Insurance company would not cover enough of the cost so I could not afford it. I then started Humira injections. My husband injects me every other week. What a difference it has made. I am not even taking anything for pain now. I have been able to get off of the Methotrexate and hopefully will not have to take the Arava after my next doctors visit.

My rheumy suggested the Remicade infusions first because he felt it would hit my RA the strongest. Then he suggested Humira as the next for self injecting, as it was probably the most potent among the self injecting and you only had to do it twice a month.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever treatment you choose.

Last edited by rennah77; 08-28-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi Mary,

I was on Humeria for 2 years with the first year this med did wonders than the 2nd year it stopped working so I switched to the new drug orencia, it is a 20-30 minute infusion once a month and it is helping me greatly with the only side effect is that I get alittle chilled right after the infusion. I love the once a month with not much time for the infusion. I have severe RA and this pain relief is heaven! There isn't a medication out there that will work for everyone, so give one a try and if it doesn't work than try another. I wish you
the best!
Debbie

Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

CTuit HB User

Hi Mary,

Hate to say this but there really isn't a correct answer. Some work great for some and others do better on others. I've been on Enbrel for three years. It did great to start but isn't working that well anymore and now the doctor is switching me to Humira. I've talked to others and they've done the reverse. I'd say look over the information on all of them and then try what you think might work best. Personally I'd try either Humira or Enbrel because they're easier to take than Remicade. Orencia I'm not really sure about.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Mary,
It's Debbie again, A bit of advice to you is if you decide on the Humeria ask your doc to give you either Emla cream or any cream that has some lidocane
in it to put on the skin before you inject the medication. That was the only thing that bothered me on the Humeria was that the medication is viscose so it burns when you inject it, it is fast so it doesn't last long but it still burns.
I am a chicken so anything that I can avoid anymore pain Is a gift. Again,
everyone is different so what works for one doesn't necessarily will work for another. Have a great week

Debbie

Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
(male)

kscott13 HB User

Hi Mary,
I'm not all that sure of the other medications you listed, but Humira and Enbrel I do know a little about. Most likely if your looking for something easy to use and that doesn't need to be taken with the methotrexate I'd say look into Humira. My Rheumatologist said Enbrel is not very effective unless taken with Methotrexate in people with RA. I would make sure that the same is not true of Humira first.
Kscott13

Old 09-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

Blancka HB User
Angry Re: remicade, humira, embrel or orencia

Hi, I have had RA for seven years and my Medication has helped.I recently had a MRI on my feet and it showed erosion,my Doctor wants me to take Remicade which is a two to three hour process, I do not want to sit there for that long.Maybe someone out there can give me some good advise on Enbrel or Humira, I have literature on both,I am afraid of the side effects,and I am not sure I can inject myself at home?Can one drive after a session if they have to go to the Doctors?I am afraid of the side effects.I am taking alot of Meds right now but my feet are sore
Thank you
Blancka

Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,

I was on Humeria for almost 2 years and it was very successful for the first 1 1/2 years but stopped working, I was not willing to try remicade because of the time you need to spend in the doctors office. I am thrilled that the new medication called Orencia is out there now because it only takes 20-25 minutes for the infusion without any side effects, it also is a monthly drug which is really great! I am seeing improvement
without the at home sticking myself with the other medications. With either
remicade, Humeria or orencia you can drive or do anything you want after you take it. If you decide on the Humeria I would suggest that you ask your Doctor for some lidicane cream to use before you inject it. Not everyone experiences it but for alot of people including me it burned when it was injected. Thank goodness there are alot of medications out there because everyone will respond differently. I hope that you feel well soon!
Debbie

Closed Thread