It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

Wenthia HB User
Elevated ASO Titer, no strep symptoms

Hi, I am 44 years old and had arthritis panel bloodwork done a month ago due to sore joints/fatigue. Everything came back normal except the ASO titer. It was at 651.2 UI/mL. The nurse called me and told me to take amoxicillan for 10 days and come back in 2 weeks for a repeat bloodtest. I did, and then the ASO titer came back at 600.5 IU/mL. I went to see my doc and she said she didn't know why I had sore joints and fatigue, that she would refer me to a Rheumatologist. She said she wouldn't worry about the ASO titer, that since I get strep throat at least once a year, that my level of antibodies is probably just high. I am concerned with this answer, and wonder if anyone knows anything about this? The funny thing is, I have not been sick nor have had strep throat this year at all thus far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wenthia For This Useful Post:
Sarahdecorah1 (12-12-2011)
Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: Elevated ASO Titer, no strep symptoms

Could you tell me what they checked? Then i could maybe help you out. And could you put a whole list of your symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
(female)

Wenthia HB User

Thank you for your response.

CBC, everything was within normal limits.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor RA Latex Turbid. 5.2 IU/mL
ANA w/Reflex if Positive Antinuclear antibodies Direct 28 U/mL
Sedimentation Rate-Westergren 4 mm/hr
Antistreptolysin O Ab 651.2H IU/mL
C-Reactive Protein, Quant 0.4 mg/L

All were listed within normal limits except the ASO titer.

I am extremely fatigued, pain in foot, ankle and hand joints. I can hardly move my feet when I wake up in the morning as well as after just sitting at work for any length of time.
I have excruiciating pain in the metatarsal area of one of my feet that cramps up on a regular basis.
My hands hurt (mainly in the thumb and index fingers of both hands and when I wake up they have red spots on the same areas.) There is pain and sometimes redness on the knuckles of the index fingers on the hand part (bottom knuckle).

I have other symptoms, but am also having trouble with a thyroid nodule that continues to grow. I am not Hyper or Hypo thyroid according to bloodwork, just have a multi-nodular goiter. I don't really know what symptoms are related to the goiter and what isn't. I am waiting for a biopsy of the problem nodule at this time. I do think there is something else going on with though. Especially with this strange high ASO titer. Thank you for any light you can shed on this for me!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

From what i see an high ASO titer could mean a bacteria infection or some other kind of infection, or could be just normal if you had fought off a flu or cold-even if you didn't know you were sick. I'm not sure what to say. If you feel tired and have other problems that start showing up, maybe it could be thryroid, but it seems to cause more problems with energy than joint pains. I see you wrote that your exextremely fatigued. Mayeb it could be your thyroid, there are people that have alot of problems before there labs are off. Maybe the biopsy will help.Or mybe you have been infected with something, There alot of things, Maybe you could see Infectous diease doctor? I have no thyroid function and Have a Bacteria infection, I give my self IV meds twice a day. If you think you might have something like Lyme dieases or like that try talking in the Lyme Thread. Good luck to you, Maybe someone else can help. How long has this been going on?

Last edited by adamace1; 09-21-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
(female)

Wenthia HB User

Thanks, I guess I'll have to wait and see what the biopsy of my thyroid says. Meanwhile, I am still supposed to see a Rheumatologist sometime in the next month. Thank you for your insight. Take care.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Just remember don't just write of things because you tested normal. Things like Lupus, Lyme, RA, the tests are poor at best. Thats all i wanted to add.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
(female)

Carol1104 HB User

I can not believe I have read your entry. I too am 44 and have EVERY symptom that you have. I see that you submitted this about a year ago. Are you still active on this message board? If so I need some advice on how to proceed with this very debilitating problem. Please respond.Carol1104 THANK-YOU

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
(female)

kjped1313 HB User

Performing research for almost the exact same symptoms as the other posters, I came across this post.
I am also going through a returning auto-immune situation, but 15 years since it's last occurance. My first time I went through it, I was very text book, but this time I have no other positive or problematic tests on my arthritis profile but my antistreptolysin O AB, which has come back with a score of over 450 or more, each six months, the last two years.
I thought it was strange that even though I have no symptoms of strep throat, they keep treating me for it. This last time, I refused the antibiotics after I did research and found out that it wasn't that they could diagnose the strep throat illness, but were able to test for the strep throat antibodies in my system and that made them *assume* I had strep throat.
Does anyone else find it curious that patients showing auto-immune symptoms, such as arthritis, joint pain/stiffness, nodules, low-grade fever, etc. also have a high titers for a peticular anti-body that is not being placed into the list with other auto-immune anti-bodies??
I am glad I came across this post, it tells me I'm not the only one that has these symptoms and I think it's time my doctors looked into this.
Kellyn

Closed Thread