It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Limbrel

Has anyone used "Limbrel" a new medication known as a health food by prescription only for inflammation?

I am having good results with Limbrel. I cannot take the other anti-inflammatory medicines due to stomach problems. So far I have no side effects from Limbel.

Would like to hear from others who have tried Limbrel.

Misty

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Re: Limbrel

Hi Misty,

I have Lupus & just recently added osteoarthritis to my list- my spine is in bad shape & knees are pretty awful too. Shoulders, thumbs, ahhhh so sick of the "list".
My rheumy just recently prescribed Limbrel for me- he takes it himself. I recently had gastritis & am on Nexium for that, so afraid to take the other NSAID's . I took the limbrel for a few days but I started to have a lot of nausea. Now I also had a few other meds added to the mix so I'm not sure what was causing what. I'm going to try it again.
Does it really help your pain ? What type of pain do you have ?

I sure do miss Vioxx- that was my miracle drug !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Hi anxiousinnj,
I was living in a lot of pain, especially when I tried to get up and down from a chair or walk. I have fibromyalgia since 1984, that is if it was a correct diagnosis since fibro is the dumping grounds for what doctors do not know. Little over a year ago I took Actonel for pre-osteoporosis and it was literally poison to my body. I believe Actonel is the base cause of all the inflammation I have now. Doctors do not call my problem arthritis, just call it inflammation.

Actonel caused plantar fasciitis in both feet, a sitting bone area, severe bone pain, ache, ill thru and thru for 6 months, many other symptoms. Some of those symptoms are better now, however I now have not only plantar fasciitis in both feet, my knees became swollen, inflammed, painful. Ankles ache/hurt, pain in hips, groins, thighs, lower back, upper back, rotator cuffs, arms, hands, wrists, fingers/thumbs. Felt like I was going to crack/break in groin area trying to get up from a chair. Walking was very painful in all areas of inflammation.

Had MRI both knees and hips, results were inflammation. Had cortisone shots in both knees that helped for a while and then left knee became worse and thought I would need another injection. However, I started Limbrel and in 2 weeks there was drastic change in the knee for the better. Knee swelling reduced, could bend the knee again, knee would straighten almost normal. Before starting Limbrel a thumb started locking, popping, too painful to even turn magazine page. Diagnosis on thumb was Trigger Thumb. Actually all fingers and both thumbs have the inflammation. Wrist and hands in general became involved too. Limbrel is helping inflammation in hands/fingers/thumbs.

Rotator cuffs are still a problem but not as painful. Weather change makes rotator cuffs hurt more.

I take Limbrel 250 mg. at 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. In the mornings I use a strong heavy duty vibrator on body to relieve pain. For a few mornings now I did not have to use vibrator. 30 minutes to 1 hr. after taking Limbrel I notice pain is gone. I take Limbrel and go back to bed for an hour.

Limbrel is steadily improving the inflammation, just wish it would hurry up and get rid of the rest. Limbrel works by blocking enzymes that cause inflammation.

I have been taking Limbrel since July 13, 2006. It is amazing how much better I am, even tho I still have problems. I can now walk like a normal person. Shocked me earlier this week when I realized I was crossing a busy street walking normal instead of the cautious careful little steps in pain.

I have not had any side effects from the Limbrel. I also take Diovan HCT for hypertension, Prevacid for stomach (caused by Actonel), Synthorid for hypothyroid and calcium, magnesium, Zyrtec for allergy when needed. I was taking a lot of extra strength Tylenol and now do not have to take Tylenol. Probably took Tylenol 3 times since starting Limbrel.

Give Limbrel a try again, maybe space meds so they are not taken at the same time.

What strength Limbrel were you taking. If it was stronger than 250 mg. it may have been to strong to start with.

Misty

Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Misty,

I'm sorry for all those posts above-- I don't know how the heck that happened...

Wow- I am glad to hear the Limbrel is helping you. I am definately going to give it another try. Going to take one right now in fact.
My rheumy prescribed 250 mgm 2 x day. My bottle says to take it on an empty stomach- is that what you do ?
It seems I am having to remember medications all day long, the list keeps getting longer. And I want to start on Glucosamine Choindrontin ( sp?) which will mean even more..... but if it helps as well as you say, I'll manage to fit it in.
My rheumy speaks very enthusiastically about the Limbrel. I just saw him on Monday & I asked about any other anti inflammatories. He said Limbrel is the only one worth me trying right now.
Another thing is if I remeber right-- it was quite expensive. I have insurance but it still was quite high. Probably because it's new & they kow they have a unique product there.

Thanks for your help--I will report back to you & let you know how I do with the Limbrel. YOu gave me encouragement tonight which I desperatley needed : )

anxiousinnj

The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousinnj For This Useful Post:
Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

anxiousinnj,

Yes, take Limbrel on an empty stomach, 1 hr. before a meal or 1 hr. after a meal. I set the alarm and take it at 7:00 a.m. and eat breakfast 1 hr. later. In the evening eat dinner 6:00 p.m. and take Limbrel at 7:00 p.m. If I get off schedule I juggle the time, but try to keep it as close to 12 hrs apart as possible. I can't live without small timers, set a timer for this and that then go about my day doing whatever without having to clock watch. In fact I keep the timer in my pocket or clipped to clothing. I use pill boxes (7 day week kind) for different combinations of meds, mark end of boxes with time or a.m., p.m, etc. so I can check and know whether I took the med or not. If I get pills out of prescription bottle and later wonder if I took it or not, I have no clue. It is a safety thing for me, I don't trust my memory.

Did your rheumy tell you to take Glucosamine Chondrotin as well as the Limbrel? If not, I would hold off on the Glucosomaine and not start taking two new things at same time. Take both only with rheumy's advice. After taking Limbrel you may not need to add Glucosamine. I cannot find good info on compatible meds with Limbrel, it is too new.

If you are diabetic Glucosomaine may raise blood sugar, it did mine and I had to stop it long time ago. I am type 2 diabetic, control diet/exercise only.

Yes, Limbrel is expensive. I pay $301.82 for 90 pills (3 months), my pharmacy gives 10% off to seniors and is not signed up with insurance companies, they are independent. I do have 80/20 insurance, so I only pay 20%. Like all new meds, there is no competition. I have too much trouble with meds and the pharmacy I use has great pharmacists I can double check with on meds. That is worth a lot to me. I tried to use Ekherds one time and the counsel person would not give me the time of day much less answer a question.

If you have a Costco Wholesale type store, check and see what they charge for Limbrel. I read in a magazine that Costco was cheaper than other pharmacies, but have no clue if that was on generic or the real thing. There is no generic for Limbrel. I cannot take generic drugs, they do not work, or have a reaction to them. They may have the same amount of real stuff in them but the carrier for the drug does not dispense right or dyes may be the problem.

Do not expect to notice a difference from taking Limbrel for at least 2 weeks, but I could tell a difference earlier than that. I read some place it takes 3 months to get full benefit. I believe it, as time goes by it helps me more.

Misty

The following user gives a hug of support to Misty800:
Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Old 09-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Yes, I am planning to wait on the glucosamine. Like you said I don't want to start 2 new things at once. If I feel better or feel sick I want to now what it's from.
I think I paid about $60 for a one month supply so I guess I shouldn't comllain. I can't take generics either & I have several other meds & because I won't take the generic on them some of the copays are very high.

Re: the glucosamine & chondrontin- my husband has been taking both for a few months & he sais he can't believe how much better he feels. He said his knees feel like trhey did when he was n his 20's-- he can't remember them feeling this good, also his hands were in a lot of pain-- gone now.
The ortho doc told me to go ahead with the G &C & he knew I was going to go back on the Limbrel-- in fact he wanted to give me a script for an anti- inflamatory like Naprosyn etc... I didn't want any of thos drugs because I have been dealing with gastritis. Don;t want to add more problems to the list !

I'll let you know how I do on the Limbrel-- I hope it helps my back pain -- I am so afraid os having to have surgery.....

thanks for all your kind info !

The following user gives a hug of support to anxiousinnj:
Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Misty800,
I'm going to check into being prescribed Limbrel. If it help decrease inflammation that's what Ineed. I need to also take a PPI on an empty stomach one hour before eating. I wonder how that would work to take 2 medications that should be taken on an empty stomach. How long before you noticed a difference in your inflammation pain?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Taape, I do believe it would be worth a try and see if Limbrel will help you.

I noticed a little help a few days after starting, but did not really know for sure for about a week or two. It was one of those things I thought it was helping but was not sure either. It proved to be helping more and more as time went on.

Limbrel has not been an instant cure, but has been a terrific relief and I can now walk and move more like a normal person. Some days are better than others.

I take Limbrel 1 hr. before breakfast.
I take Prevacid just before eating breakfast.

Ask your pharmacist about the compatability of two meds together on an empty stomach.

Barracuda65 (11-07-2010)
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for your reply. I hope I can get a prescription just to try it.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
(female)

Lois1931 HB User

Misty,
I wonder if you are still getting good results from Limbrel? I was put on 500mg twice a day and took it for about 2 weeks and had no noticeable relief. I went back on Aleve so I can play golf. I now am wondering if I should give it another try, since it cost me $112.00 for a months supply!

Closed Thread