It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Any osteo-arthritis and still working?

I suffer severe osteoarthritis mainly in my hips as well as other form of arthritis.

I like to know are you still working or did you have to quit your job because of lack of mobility. Doesn't osteoarthritis affects your working capacity?

Please reply to this thread as i like to revaluate what type of jobs I should apply for.

thanks for your help.

Last edited by jimmyhonda; 10-03-2006 at 05:01 AM.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

roses4evver HB User
Question Re: Any osteo-arthritis and still working?

Hi Jimmyhonda,

In order to help you in any way we need to know more information about yourself, such as your age, where have you worked before & doing what kind of work, are you taking any kind of meds for your Osteo, how long have you had it, have you had x-rays or tests done?

[removed] I've had Osteo & Connective Tissue Disease for 15 yrs now. The last 10 yrs have been very difficult as far as pain in neck, hips, low back, knee's & feet. I Have been on many meds & treatments too. Recently 6 mo ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid & Lupus (SLE). This has gotten me very bad in the last 3 mo.

Yes, I'm still working full time but feel like I'm hanging by a thread most days. Everything has changed in the last 4 mo. The Lupus & Osteo have torn me knee's to shreds & all the cartilidge is gone, & low back feels like I'm in labor all the time. I have a bloody fluid filled knee 24/7 & aspirations do no good anymore. I really don't know how long I will be able to work.

Yes, Osteo usually..... eventually..... will affect your physical capacity in which you work to some degree at some point in time. Everyone is affected differently, everyone has different severities of the disease, no 2 are the same.

By reading your post it appears as though you have not been working, is that correct?
Maybe by giving more info we could help you with your question better.

~roses~

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Last edited by HBMod07; 10-04-2006 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules very closely

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 AM   #3
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Re: Any osteo-arthritis and still working?

Hi Rose - sorry to hear about your condition. I must say that you are a very strong person.

I'm 31 yrs old. Last year I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips. That turn out to be a shock to me because i always thought that only older people gets osteoarthritis

anyway, I couldn't walk for about a year. The right side was badly affected that I couldn't lift my leg up or move it. If i tried to movie it, I would feel like bones grinding one another and secondly i would end up getting muscle spasms that made my brain into thinking that I am "falling" down.

Most of my days i spend lying in my bed the whole day and night. only exception is going to the toilet. Life was really miserable back then. I had tried accupunture and hydotheraphy but they didn't work for me. they only aggrivate my condition.

I tried glucosamine for a bout a 1 year now, as well as taking immune suppresant drug. Now, i can see some improvement and was wondering what type of work should i apply for.

the problem is, i can no long run . I limp, walk slowly and can't bend down to pick up things. sometimes get painful if i walk for a long distance.

I really wanted to return back to work again, but i feel that i am very limited to a particular type of work since i can no long do any invigorating job.

I don't have the expertise like you.

is it just me - I mean, I hear people with osteoarthritis,but i never hear people complaining about osteoarthritis and how this illness affect their working lives. I mean, there are plenty of painfiul life stories about rheumatoid arthritis etc but hardly oesteoarthritis...ummm

Last edited by jimmyhonda; 10-04-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

ncditchdr HB User

Hi Jimmy,

I'm 51 with OA in my knees (right much worse then left). I work as a Paramedic which requires the ability to move in ways we are probably not meant to move. I am still able to work but roses my days are numbered due to the OA. I think the next step will probably be to look at TKR and that will for sure end my career. I'm just not ready for that yet so will put up with the pain and swelling as long as I can. OA will limit what you can do but if you can get the pain managed you should be able to find something you find fulfilling. There is do doubt that it will be a struggle but in order to beat the depressing I have to be out there. I was out of work after a "simple" (doctors word not mine) surgery on my right knee and I fought with everything I had to get back. This was almost a year of PT as well as meds. I'm still on the meds (non narc for working days) and will continue until I can no longer.

I do wish you luck - this stuff hurts like hell. Deborah

Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

janeyrg HB User

Hi,
This is my very first day at this. I have RA and severe osteo. I had a total shoulder replacement in Philadelphia the end of July. I'm just completing Phase 1 rehab and I am pleased!!! It hurts from the surgery but all the arthritis pains are gone. I can't wait to get my knees done. If you research total knee replacement, you may be surprised at the successes. People get full range of motion in about 6 weeks, some sooner. Most get back to work in like 6-8 weeks and are some much better off. Replacement surgery techniques and implants are much better than even 5 yrs ago. I'd think of the replacemnt of your knees as "new" knees and that they may enable you to work many more years.
Best, Jane

Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

ferfyw HB User

Hi Jimmy,

I am a 37 yo full time mom to a 3 and 5 year old. I have osteo in my hands. I am planning on going back to work next year (I am an RN). I take relafen for pain and stiffness. I can function most of the time at a normal level unless I try to do too much with my hands or if I let my hands get too cold.

I am wondering if you have considered hip replacement surgery-if you find a good surgeon you might feel and function much better. Good Luck to you

Kathy

Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

painfree4me HB User

Hi Jimmyhonda,

I am a 35 year old with severe Osteoarthritis (I was born with it) I just underwent TKR. When I was 27, my hips were just like how you mentioned in your post. They hurt like hell and affected my back too. I was put on several anti-inflammatories from age 21. Eventually they stop working and you need to switch to a newer and better one. Well, when none of them worked for me and the pain killers didn't either, my right hip cracked on me. Anyone walking next to me could hear the bone on bone as I limped around. Even lying when down, the slightest movement would be excruciating. Not to mention putting a lot more weight on the other hip led to more pain on the left side.

Before the surgery, I worked part-time 3 days a week and occasionally on weekends at a doctor's office where I did office work (had to travel by train and stand a lot too though). I needed every other day off just to rest up so I could return to work the next day.

It looks as thought you may need surgery before considering a full time job. If you decided not to get surgery and you start working, it will probably only get worse and you will have to have it anyway if you want to remain in healthy spirits. The pains I had caused tremendous amounts of stress and depression.

However, after having both hips done 4 months apart, it took a lot of work at Physical Therapy and within a year and a half, started exercising to lose the weight I had gained and felt like a brand new person! I till this day don't have any hip pain at all.

Of course, then years later had to deal with the knee, but this time only one. My other knee is much better, thank goodness. It has been three months since my TKR and let me say, I am forever grateful to the new technology out there for people who suffer from this horrible debilitating disease! Please see an Orthopedist and find out exaxtly how advanced your OA is, it may save you a lot of pain in the long run.

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
(female)

roses4evver HB User

Hi Jimmy,

Life I think can be difficult for anyone with out medical problems yah know? Living with Osteo over many years really takes a toll on a person's life & it has had a profound effect on mine in the last 3-4 yrs. There are so many people living with diseases and it's real sad to me. I also have been taking 3000mg of only glucosamin/day .....vs ....1500mg of chondroitin & glucosamin 1500mg what I used to take.

I sure hope you are doing better!
Good Luck

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 10-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I have osteoarthritis in my spine (and lupus & fibromyalgia) but I am still working full time. (though at this moment i am on temp disability due to having surgery in my spine a couple weeks ago, due to a condition that is caused partly by osteo). Before surgery, though...it was a very hard struggle for me to go to work every day. Even though I mainly sat at a desk, I was always in severe pain. I could no longer walk more than about 100 feet and couldnt stand up straight. Also, if I had to sit for too long, my discs would cause me problems. For me, I dont know how I kept going but work was all I had left to get me out of the house every day and I'm just stubborn. Plus I need income, I cant just not work. I do know other people who had osteo in hips and knees..and ended up getting joint replacements. They are now fully functioning again without all the pain...

Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
(female)

gilsgirl1985 HB User

Hi Jimmyhonda. I have had scoleosis all my life but they didn't discover it until i was 18 and then they said it was too late to put braces on me to straighten me. I am now 47 and my scoleosis looks like a snake down my back it is very crooked. well recently had xrays because was having alot of pain starting a couple years ago and now i have OsteoArthritis in neck, big block of it in center and now in lumbar. i can really feel for you. I have been on a medical leave for 2 months now and have been going to Physical Therapy to see if that helps. It has helped my get stronger and more mobile as far as stretching the other parts of my body but i still get paiin mostly in the lumbar. I am actually afraid to go back to work because i am a secretary and sitting alot and i have to bend alot and that is where the pain is the most. I am waiting for my Pain Management appt the Dr. is suppose to be working on. my doctor said keep on the P.T. until that appt. we cannot live on one income, i have to work. you know walking and moving all the time I don't hurt at alll because its in my spine, but your a different case. I have degenerate disk disease on top of that so i don't know how long i will have t work. i guess when the pain meds don't work anymore the jig is up and we will have to figure out financial problems then. so i am just waiting to see what the Pain Mgmt people are going to do for me, probably shots directly in the spine where the blocks of OA are. later in life, maybe surgery. I wish I could figure out a new job for both of us. If i could have a job walking and moving all the time i would be good and you need something you can rest and sit more. I know this sucks but its nice to have someone to talk to about it, by the way i am gilsgirl and new as of today. good luck jimmy

Closed Thread