It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

luvthemountains HB User
Does constant arthritis mean constant swelling?

My uncle has constant arthritis and I feel bad for him because he just doesn't seem to feel good all that often. Does anyone know what causes arthritis? I don't know much about it myself and at what age does arthritis start? Is it hereditary? Does constant arthritis mean constant swelling/edema of something? Thanks for the info. I guess I could do a search on it, but I would really like to hear from people who actually deal with it.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Does constant arthritis mean constant swelling?

Some forms of arthritis are genetic such as Rhuematoid. Others like Osteoarthritis are generally caused by wear and tear of the joints. Indvididuals can be predisposed to OA if they have disorders like Ehlers Danlos or soft tissue diseases. There are well over 100 different forms of arthritis, each one has it's own set of symptoms. There's really no one thing that may cause arthritis unless you are talking about Osteoarthritis.

There is not really a term "constant arthritis". Once you have arthritis you have it forever, it never goes away, it is a permanent disease or condition.

Arthritis can strike at any age. Children can be born with arthritis, it is not an "old persons" disease. My arthritis started at age 10 in the form of OA as a result of having Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and having 3 major surgeries.

Arthritis can cause constant swelling, but again, this will be dependant on the type of arthritis you have. Some have OA or even RA and do not have swelling but only have pain.

Certain forms of arthritis can be diagnosed with a simple blood test while others like OA usually are diagnosed by an X-ray.

There is no cure for arthritis but there are medications that can control the swelling and help with pain.

Has your uncle been diagnosed with Arthritis? If not it is important that he does see a doctor for appropriate diagnosis. There are other conditions that can cause swelling and pain and are not arthritis.

For individuals with Gout, another form of arthritis, certain types of food actually cause severe flareups. Knowing the type of arthritis you have is the key to treating it.

I hope that helps some
Barbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #3

luvthemountains HB User

oh yes...he has been diagnosed with it but I'm not sure which form of arthritis it is. Well, this brings me to another question. I was told from an MRI that I have some arthritis is my left foot along with bursitis and a small cyst and my foot and ankle are swollen a little bit and some days more than others. Do you feel that with everything going on with the foot, that could be the cause of my swelling? If you will read on general health and the foot boards, I have seen many doctors and have had many tests and no one can figure out why I have this swelling. On a scale of 1-10 my foot can be a 4 and other days it can be up to a 6-7. Just thought I would get an opinion on that from you since you seem pretty insightful on this. As afr as my uncle, he had a double bypass surgery and they took him off off his arthritis meds which really allowed him to function but now since he can't take the meds because it interferes with the other meds, he's having to be in a Nursing home to rehab on how to walk now. I feel for him and all he is going through.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

Grana HB User

I thought I would let you know that I am still undergoing testing to find out what kind of arthiritis I have. My left foot has been swollen (a whole size different from other foot) since February. Bone scan shows activity in both ankles and feet. Celebrex did nothing for me and the naproxen is not doing much either and it also seems the swelling is worse when I am taking it. It is so frustrating! Swelling is present all the time but less in the mornings. My feet ache (like I have been walking all day at Six Flags) all the time. Really messing my active life up!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #5

luvthemountains HB User

Are they sure it's arthritis related?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

Grana HB User

Still undergoing testing. All bloodwork has come back showing nothing but inflammation. All markers are clear. I truly do not think they know what they are dealing with and it truly scares me to death.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 AM   #7

luvthemountains HB User

Also, have you seen a Cardiologist? I know that swollen feet can be heart related. Have you had dopplers done to see if the blood flow is going smoothly?

Old 10-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
(female)

Grana HB User

Supposedly they checked me for heart problems through the blood. I really just wish they would find out WHAT IT IS........the waiting is horrible on ones nerves. I have been ill since 2001 with clostridium difficile (caused by antibiotics) and have been unable to come off meds related to that with success. I deal with constant fatigue, nausea and bowel problems most of the time and NOW THIS...........I have been asking questions to find out if the vancocin which I have been on long term could pose this kind of problem and they are telling me NO however, the drug was never intended for extended use. But, without it I would die. It is just always something and I am tired of living in doctors offices with all of them "guessing" and yet "not knowing" anything.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
(female)

Grana HB User

forgot to say also that they did an ultrasound of my veins from my feet all the way to my heart and everything was normal.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #10

luvthemountains HB User

I would say that the meds very well could be the cause as some medications absolutely cause swelling! Have you thought about going to the Mayo Clinic? I hear they are EXCELLENT! Also, maybe the way you sit can press on a nerve and cause the swelling or maybe the way you lay in bed. So many things that it could be and yet doctors can't figure it out....or want to take the time to figure it out! They just want to treat the symptom and not the cause although some doctors don't even treat the symptom correctly. They may as well be weather men...it's all about guessing!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
(female)

DixieDoodle HB User

I'll second that about the Mayo Clinic. I too, tried for 2.5 years to find the cause of swelling in the fingers of my right hand (I'm right handed). After 2.5 years and countless Dr. visits, blood tests (only platlets and WBC counts and inflammation markers high, but not RH factor), MRI's, X-rays, physical therapy (3x week for 12 weeks at 3 hours per day) NOTHING brought the swelling down, not even Naproxin or OTC Pain relivers. During this 2.5 year timespan, my ankles, elbow and toes also swelled up.

I finely got fed up after I went for a shot of cortizone and the Doc did blood work again (but would not give me the shot because he did not know what was wrong with my hand). He wanted to send me to another hemotologist again and like I said I got fed up and told him NO MORE DOCTORS GUESSING WHAT IS WRONG! I asked him to refer me to Mayo. Long story short, I went to Mayo and they tested me for 5 days and finely told me I have a form of Seronegative Arthritis. Had I not gone to Mayo, I still would not know what was wrong. There is not enough words to express my sincere gratitude to Mayo for finding what alies me! I encourage you to go to Mayo and too!

Good luck!

Dixie

Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
(female)

Grana HB User

If I do not get some answers this week I am definitely going to ask for referral SOMEWHERE. I also am dealing with another rare type condition (brought on by antibiotics) which the doctors are unable to get rid of. I am taking vancocin (the last resort antibiotic) and have been now for 5 years to keep me alive. I am worried sick that this drug could be the problem since it was never meant to be taken long term. But the alternative would be death.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
(female)

Grana HB User

Went to rheumatologist today and the formal diagnosis is Reactive Arthiritis caused by the bacterial infection within my body that was brought about by antibiotics. He has tried me on celebrex, naproxen and I can not tolerate either. He is now wanting to start me on M__________(some big long word) and spoke of adding Remicade. I don't know enough to ask questions nor whether I should agree or not. I just know that something has got to be done as it is getting worse and quality of living is being affected. Any info would be appreciated. I have to go back to him next week with decision if I want to pursue this or "merely deal with my problems" which he says can escalate at any time to the point of crippling me.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #14

luvthemountains HB User

Dixie,

So now that you have an answer (am I'm glad you do) what are you doing for it and what is that exactly anyway?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
(female)

DixieDoodle HB User
Unhappy Re: Does constant arthritis mean constant swelling?

Hi Luvthemountians,

The Doc put me on Prednisone temporarily until the other medication Hydroxychloroquine (Plaqunil) he prescribed kicks in. If that don't work, or if I have problems with the medication (was told it could cause blindness if not monitored properly), he suggested that I make an appointment ASAP with a local Rheumatologist and have her prescribe something a little stronger. I was able to get an appointment with a local Doctor today (usually there is a 4month waiting list to see this Doctor, but I guess the Mayo connection helped me get an appointment faster). I'm very courious as to what she has to say about this condition. Seronegative Arthritis is a group of Arthritis's that do not raise the RH factor in your blood.

Oh dear, I just looked at the clock, I have to go to the appointment now, but I will write later and explain Seronegative Arthritis. Sorry!

Dixie

Closed Thread