It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

LovelyLadySarah HB User
Question What is the best over the counter pain relief for arthritis??

My husband broke his ankle and now has a lot of pain in it due to arthritis.

What is the best over the counter pain relief medicine you have found? We've tried the Tylenol Arthritis but DOES NOT help him at all!

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Old 11-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: What is the best over the counter pain relief for arthritis??

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's ankle. Unfortunately, there really isnt a way to tell specifically what would be the best OTC med for him. It's basically trial and error, just as prescriptions can be. Everyone reacts to drugs differently & what helps one person may do nothing for the next. There are many to try, though..such as ibuprofen, aleve, orudis, aspirin, or tylenol. Then there also all kinds of sprays, rubs, and creams..but I think they work mainly on muscle pain. He could also try heat (heat patches or heating pads) or ice. Some people swear by glucosamine/chondroitin (but they take it for a long time) If nothing works and the pain is too much, he might want to consult with a doctor and try a prescription pain reliever/anti-inflammatory (there are many, many more choices to try this way....I know for myself, I have tried many)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

I think for the type of arthritis he would have ibuprofen Advil-Alive-or generic brand would be his best bet. But be carefull it can cause harm to the digestive system. But everyone i know says it works the best.

Last edited by adamace1; 11-28-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

Jesse88 HB User

I've had excellent results treating my RA with Aleve, although for long term use there could be stomach problems. I tried Extra Strength Tylenol and it did very little to help. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

CatieCupCake HB User

I have tried glucosamine condroiden (spelled wrong I am sure) and it helps. Also Naperxon works well too.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
(female)

superola HB User

I use Alleve on a regular basis but sometimes during flares I need an immediate heavy duty pain reliever. I take two Tylenol with codeine and that seems to help take the edge off.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

terras1mom HB User

[edited]
Please do not quote a message and then start a new message underneath it. Use quick reply instead or edit out the portion of the quote which is relevant to your response

Thank you
HBMod07

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-19-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

terras1mom HB User

Oh have I got some good news for you! Three things have helped me hugely with arthritus.

First of all, move, move, move - the less you move the worse it will get! It hurts so bad you do not ever want to move again, but force yourself to move and keep moving and it will ease up on you. Quit moving and like weeds in the yard, it tries to take you over.

Secondly is something called Joint Movement Glucosamine with Chondroitin + MSM made by Symtec. Liquid, I get it here at Walgreens Drug Store and it's $20 bucks for 16 ounces. Take two tablespoons a day in some kind of drink as it does not taste great, but oh it helps tons! Within an hour and a half I feel increased movement with less pain. I would drink this drink, walk down the block a while and then rest. You'll be amazed how well it will help you.

Third, my doctor has me on Naproxen sodium, 500 mg. tablets. I take them only when it's really bad and sometimes it helps. Mostly the Glucosamine drink does wonders. There are many pill formulas out there too for that but this liquid works faster and gives more than any of the bottled pills I found.

Best of luck to you both!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Terras1mom,

FYI, you can also buy the Symtec Joint Movement Glucosamine with Chondroitin with MSM at Costco - it's a bigger bottle (think 32 oz.) for about $17. It goes on sale sometimes too for $14. I agree this product helps and I also find taking liquid Calcium with Vit D (also sold at Costco) has helped me a lot too!

molly

Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
(female)

thinkerbell72 HB User

Glucosamine With Chondroitin + MSM - does anyone know if this can be taken during pregnancy?

thanks

thinkerbell72

Closed Thread