It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
(male)

s'nick HB User
Difference between arthritis and psoriatic arthritis

How is psoriatic arthritis diagnosed? What is the difference between it and regular osteoarthritis? Thanks for any info.

A lifetime isn't nearly long enough to figure out what it is all about.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: Difference between arthritis and psoriatic arthritis

About 95% of those with psoriatic arthritis have swelling in joints outside the spine, and more than 80% of people with psoriatic arthritis have nail lesions. The course of psoriatic arthritis varies, with most doing reasonably well. Symptoms include:

Silver or grey scaly spots on the scalp, elbows, knees and/or lower end of the spine.
Pitting of fingernails/toenails
Pain and swelling in one or more joints
Swelling of fingers/toes that gives them a "sausage" appearance

osteoarthritis= wear and tear

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Talking Re: Difference between arthritis and psoriatic arthritis

Hi,

Had to put a note in after reading your posts. I have psoriatic arthritis and it varies in many ways from Rheumatoid and Osteo, but all have the same outcome. My joints in my fingers, knees, elbows, toes and my spine have all deteriorated in the past two years, since having psoriassis. I am now registered disabled and find the disease very frustrating and annoying. Osteo is simply wear and tear, whereby Rheumatoid and Psoriatic are inflammatory diseases. I take immunosuppressants, painkillers and have just had depro medrone steroid injection to make me feel better for christmas. Psoriatic arthritis is not to be taken lightly, some people get it midly others, much more seriously. It doesn't go, they just try hard to make it better for you. If you have any more questions please post, I will try to help.

Ronnie

Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

thinkerbell72 HB User

when you say

'simply' wear and tear you make it sound 'non painful' infact it is horrific! unless my doc has diagnosed me wrongly of course!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Osteo Arthritis is from wear and tear (rubbing, pressure) on the joints, it's not an immune disorder like RA and the other mentioned. Osteo arthritis can be very painful and disabling. The medications that work on immune disorder type arthritis don't usually work on arthritis from worn out joints but you can still try antiinflammatory meds and other pain killers.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
(female)

Joannies HB User

Hi, I'm Joannie. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I see you have the same. I have been in alot of pain and so sick, am not used to be laid up like this. Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-10-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Closed Thread