It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
(female)

starship HB User
Shin Pain

Hi To All,
Does anyone suffer from shin pain? Both of my front legs above the ankles is sore. Was wondering if OA would cause shin pain.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
(female)

blueflamingo HB User
Re: Shin Pain

Yes, my shins ache like when you're getting the flu. I also have pain on the the shin bones as well as upper arms if I press on them. I don't know what causes it, but I was recently diagnosed with osteo arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

Ember Lynn HB User

About 15 years ago I had this problem and the Dr's thought I was nuts. I found an article in an old medical book that described it as "shin splints". I'm sure that it was. I believe it was described as a tiny stress fracture. I used 2 inch paper tape and tightly taped the area on my leg, not completely around the leg. I put the tape on tightly several times a day for several weeks. The pain went away and has never returned. Be sure and use paper tape. You can find it a Medical Supply Company. I also have used this to help the pain from torn knee cartlidge. I don't know why but it works. Good luck. Seems the younger Dr's have never heard of this.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

Njoylife HB User

Hi to all,
I have a form of RA also and would get shine pain. I recently started working with a dietian and explained to her that after about 2 minutes on my stationary bike my shines would really hurt. She suggested drinking more milk(skim or 1%). She said low calcium can cause shine pain. So I now drink 4 glasses a day and yes, I can peddle longer without pain. Hope this helps. Best of life..

Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I get shin splints occassionally but I think mine is caused from my foot mechanics. My right ankle is collapsed & turned in, so I have to walk w/my foot turned out and it feels like my left leg is a little longer. So all this affects my muscles in there. I know shin splints can be caused by small stress fractures, but it also happens with tight muscles or imbalance, and doing alot of activity or overdoing it when you're not used to it. I usully get in my left shin, probably because I favor that leg and put more pressure on it. They say also that arch supports can help and making sure not to wear shoes that are worn out. So I guess alot comes down to good foot support and alot of stretching.

Closed Thread