It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Lower Back - Crepitation (creaking joints)

Hello everyone,

I am 53 yo, post-menopausal, not overweight, do exercise regularly. I believe I have Ostearthritis (haven't been tested) but have been tested for RA (negative) in lower back/hips areas. When I complained to my dr. about it, dr. has said it is basically getting older, to exercise, take Advil when needed. Really don't want it to get worse, so I've been doing the following:

- no longer wake up stiff in the morning - getting a memory foam topper helped a lot.
- alternating between Tylendol Arthritis and Liquid Advil whenever needed seems to helps if I'm feeling achy.
- after too much movement, I find laying down/resting a few minutes helps.
- started taking glucosamine sulfate/chondroitin/MSM again and notice it helps alot too.
- just rented some yoga for the back and hips and found it helpful so will be purchasing some to do regularly.

My concern lately has been this creaking or clicking like noise I feel from my lower back area when I'm walking, bending and even laying on my side if I stretch my back out. No movement restrictions, am fairly flexible too. I've read that it is a result of "gases" between the joints. Does anyone know if I should be overly concerned (it's not painful) and if there's any treatment for this? (I have had this a couple of years ago too but seemed to have resurfaced recently).

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
(male)

sangston HB User
Re: Lower Back - Crepitation (creaking joints)

hi have you tried deconpreson traction it seemed to help me i also use whit flower balm its great hope this helps sorry about the spelling

Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

HI,

From what I have read and been told by doctors, the joint cracking is nothing to worry about & been told the same thing about gases being trapped in there. I think every joint in my body cracks, including my sternum (which is weird when it happens). My entire spine makes popping sounds, like when I twist, I can hear & feel each vertebrae pop as i twist going down my spine. As long as it causes you no pain, it shouldnt be anything to worry about. If you're still wondering about it, you might want to bring it up with your doctor.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Sangston -
Thanks for replying. No, I've never tried or even heard of decompression traction - sounds like some kind of equipment? Also, haven't used white flower balm in years - may give that a try since it not difficult to find.

Baybreeze,
Thanks for replying too. I too can hear and feel clicking and popping almost each vertebrae going down my spine sometimes too. I've read that it's nothing to worry but can't find anything as to how to treat it. There are days when it isn't all that bad. It just gets rather annoying, plus I'm probably just being a whiner! Just thought someone here might have a solution or something! I will mention it to my dr. when I see him but, of course, I'm sure I'll be feeling great that day and forget.

Thanks anyway...have a good day!
molly

Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I don't think there really is much one can do for joint popping. I would suggest maybe muscle strengthening, but I've doing that for my back and abs for almost a year now, including stretching, & it makes no difference in my joint popping in my spine or other joints. But definitely do ask your doctor about it. If he gives you any ideas, let me know!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
(female)

chellsbells HB User

hey all

My younger sister has this very problem but its slightly more serious as it causes her pain and she can have some vertabre slide out so shes having intensive physio and is on ponstan and difene(voltrol) both the doctor and physio have said its due to weak back muscles it generally leads to popping and clicking but not pain unless its very severe. so maybe some physio would benefit you .
Yoga is excellent and also pilates as it builds up your core muscles which in turn helps all types of arthritis. both my sister and I are using pilates to build up our core muscles as I have arthritis(PsA) in my lower back If your still worried get it checked out for piece of mind

Good luck
Let me know how you get on
xxx

Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Chellsbells,
Just curious as to what your sister's doctor diagnose her with? Also, does she have pain when her joints are creaking? Why is it consider serious?? I seem to feel pain/achy/stiffness after doing alot of activity. The creaking of the joints itself isn't painful - just the lower back/hip joints. Also, when sitting and laying down, I'm fine.

I have read and heard that yoga and pilates help so much in lower back problems. I am very flexible (esp. for someone my age LOL!) and seem to have no problems there but I guess I must need to build-up my back/abs/core muscles because since doing some yoga it has helped a lot. Do you have any recommendations for yoga and pilates for the lower back in DVD? Do you take all those supplements too? It seems to run in my family too (mom, brother and I have lower back issues and my sister has knee problems).

I have tried the White Flower Balm the other poster suggested and it seems to help some. Tend to use it at night only since it's smelly.

Thanks,
molly

Closed Thread