It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
(male)

westy40 HB User
Has anyone ever had gout thats lasted over two months?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone on this board has had a long lasting gout attack. I have what I assume is gout.. I have had pain in my left foot off and on for about 6 years and the only way we determined probably gout was a blood test 6 years ago determined my uric acid was very high and the fact that my first gout attacks was the classic horrible pain in the bone next to the big toe. Now the pain is pretty much the entire foot.

In all my attacks the pain was intense but never lasted more than 3 weeks. This time my pain was super intense in feb and subsided "slightly" a bit earlier this month(March) but without ever going away..now the intense pain and swelling has come back full force which has really shocked and worried me a bit.

Stupid me hasnt ever taken anything for the gout. I was prescribed colchicine a month ago but didnt take it. I am definitely going to take it this weekend in the hopes it reduces the pain and sweeling.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced permanent damage from a long lasting gout attack. I have literally been hobbling for two months and why I let it go for so long without taking meds is beyond me. I just figured it would fade out like always. I am hoping I can recover from this and walk without limping.

If the colchicine doesnt work this weekend I will go back to the doc immediately. and maybe even the emergency room.

Also has anyone had any experience with colchicine.. I have heard horror stories of vomiting and nausea from the drug but that it tends to work fast in relieving the inflammation.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mike

Last edited by westy40; 03-29-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Has anyone ever had gout thats lasted over two months?

Try 20 canned tart pie cherries (not pie filling) a day. That should help the gout.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I have a great aunt who has a small bit of this on one of her toes, and says she's in extreme pain... but my aunt has to deal with this on a more extreme level. Her hands are deformed, her feet, knees, etc.. Honestly, I don't know how she functions. She has been a chef, and so the use of her hands is very important to her. She has gone in for surgery just to get some of the use of her fingers back, but this is something her doctor was very hesitant to do. And apparently it was not very successful. And she can't take medication for gout, because of kidney problems.

I hope you have much better luck, especially finding something for the pain. I don't know much about gout, or attacks. I just know that it's terrible to see somebody you love suffering like that.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Mike,

How are you doing?

Many people with gout have to follow a low-purine diet. Ask your doc to refer you to a nutritionist if you're not familiar with that particular diet.

Also, the tart cherry, as Titchou suggested, is very good for helping the body eliminate uric acid. You can use canned, fresh, dried, freeze-dried, or cherry fruit supplements.

Best wishes.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
(male)

westy40 HB User

Thanks for the responses,

Elmhar, I think I am going to have to go that route of a complete diet change. I took colchicine over the weekend and actually took too much and had horrible stomach cramping that is actually still going on 4 days later. It helped with the foot pain a bit but I might have to go on some of that medication that lowers the uric acid along with a diet change.

I really messed up with the colchicine. I took 2 tablets and then 1 every two hours ..which was 8 pills total last Saturday. On Sunday all day and through today wednesday I have had stomach distress along with severe diarrhea on Sun, Mon and into Tue. The doctor said I took to much and that a max of 6 in a 24 hour period is enough. I took 8 in a 9 hour period unfortunately and really got wrecked by it. The med bottle didnt give me a limit on how much to take which is really upsetting.

I am definitely going to go the diet route but I might have to take allopurinol just to get my uric acid level down.

Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
(female)

SusanBB HB User

I just returned minutes ago from a consultation with a rheumatologist about a severe attack of gout I had 3-4 weeks ago. I thought I was over it but he found a spot of tophus on the side of my big toe at the base. Tophus are the uric acid crystals that cause all the pain. During my attack, I was on colchicine, prednisone and Vicodin. The colchicine gave me horrific diarrhea so I couldn't take it for very long...try taking at night and it doesn't cause as much distress.

I got a list from the doctor of foods high in purine and was amazed to see how many of the healthy foods I usually eat that are on that list. The doctor is running tests because he thinks I probably run high uric acid levels most of the time. Continuos gout attacks can do damage to the joints.

I would suggest you see a rheumatologist if you don't already. They have the special knowledge to know how to deal with gout.

Good luck...I know how painful it can be but there is some help with a knowledgable doctor.

Closed Thread