It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Question about Limbrel??

Hi all: I was wondering if any of you have tried Limbrel, and how did it work or not work for you?

I tried it a couple of months ago, but the Dr that prescribed it wasn't familiar with it, and prescribed the wrong amount, and I didn't help much. Because he only prescribed 1- 250 mg a day, I didn't notice any help, plus I only took it for 2 weeks. I've talked to people who sware by it, but they say that:
  • You have to take it continuously for at least 4 weeks before it helps. Is this true?

Would any of you who are familiar with this med agree. Also, I know it comes in 500 mg. have any of you tried that strength.

I just started this med again after getting the dose straightened out, but guess what, the samples the Dr gave me to try were 3 mos expired, so he told me to toss them after I took them for 3 days.

I still don't know if this med works since the first try was the wrong strength, and now the second time the med was expired, and it didn't help. I'm not having much luck so far, and my insurance won't pay for it, so I didn't want to get it filled until I see if it works.

Any info or advice on this med would really help. I've read the web site explaining that it's a medicinal food??? but does it help with the pain of OA or not.

TIA

Last edited by DesertBloom; 04-03-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Question about Limbrel??

Hi,
I posted here last month sometime asking questions about Limbrel since it's being prescribed for me. I have yet to pick up the prescription at the local University Hospital pharmacy but will this Friday. I think I am only being prescribed 250 per day. I wonder if that's the starting dose. I am wondering if it bothered your stomach at all? Guess what? My insurance won't pay for it either so I wanted to try it for the first month. If this medication is FDA approved then I don't know how insurance companies can flat out refuse to pay for it when there is no alternative medication (due to many allergies) that I can take. I htink I'm going to contact the company direct and ask about this.

Last edited by taape; 04-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Taape: I'm going to try and get my insurance to pre-authorize this, but I don't know if it will work. Usually with new drugs, the insurance co's don't pay even if there isn't an alternative drug.

One of the posters on the osteo board is taking it and she is the one that told me about needing to take it twice a day for 4 weeks before you notice any help from the pain. Her insurance pays for it, but for now my won't and I wanted to try it before I pay for it. My Dr doesn't have anymore samples, so I guess I'll have to get the rx filled and pay cash.

No it didn't bother my stomach, but the ingredients in it aren't that different than celebrex, if you have trouble with that it's similar, but from a natural source.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Desertbloom,
All I can do is try it and see what happens. I am allergic to sulfa which is one reason I can't take celebrex, the stomach irritation is the second reason.

I think if it works then I'll ask my doctor to request pre authorization, that's a good idea and why the doctor wants to see if it works before going through all the hassle. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom,
Were you able to get the Limbrel prescription pre authorized by insurance? I just took my first pill (250mg) about an hour ago. I sure hate taking new medications. My main conern is the warning about stomach ulcers and I recovered from one so I"m being careful what medications I take.

Closed Thread