It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User
Osteoarthritis and Inflammation

I was diagnosed several years ago that I have Osteoarthritis. I currently do not take any medication or anti-inflammatory because I am Asthmatic and on so many other medications. I have had in inflammation in most of muscles for the past 2 1/2 years making it very difficult to sleep at night. I was given two cortisone shots two years ago and it did nothing. I have been on Prednisone, Prednisolone and nothing takes away the inflammation. Does anyone know if inflammation in the muscles could be caused by Arthritis?

Last edited by bestoldies04; 04-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User
Re: Osteoarthritis and Inflamation

Well I don't know which body joint you have the OA in but in general...

OA means the cartilidge (or in the spine it's the disc shrinking) is disentagrateing or gone.
This causes the joint in question to become out of place a bit and need additional help from the surrounding nerves and muscles to hold it properly for functioning. So those overworked nerves and muscles can become swollen, stretched, stressed and quit sore at times.

Does that answer your question?

I take no prescription drugs for my OA.

If its in your knees it helps prevent some pain if you will put on athletic knee supports before beginning the task that causes the pain.

When OA in my knees is painful I put my legs up taking pressure off the knees.

If swollen I first use cold packs for 20 min. (The cold shrinks the muscle swelling)
Then after that heating pads for half an hour. (The warmth relaxes the muscles)

Sometimes Aspercream rubbed on at night helps.

I have been known to even sleep in the athletic knee supports where it was really bad. The supports do just that.. they help your sore muscles in supporting the out of wack joint. Giving those muscles that help lessens the resulting pain.

I use the same basic methods on my spinal OA in my back.

If all else fails a Tylenol Arthritis before bed lets me sleep.
I rarely take 2. They do make me drowsey.

A Thermacare back wrap has helped relax my bad back during the night in the past.

It helps tremendously to keep your skeleton lined up properly while sleeping.
It is very important, yet often overlooked.

I place a knee countour pillow between my legs juat a hair above my arthritic knees and a reg pillow between my legs at my ankles and calves.
AMAZEINGLY just this has done away with my morning lower back aches!
Took only 3 nights for the improvement to show up.
REALLY.
Try it 3 nights and you'll be addicted to the pillows!

Also Watch your posture, do not slump! Keep your shoulders back where they belong.

My spine began bending from the combination of OA and osteoporosis so those stretching muscles smashed the Bursa on my right hip and I suffered very bad reoccuring Bursisits for a couple years! THAT is painful.
Got steriod shot.. that helped get rid of the bursitis pain but only in one place.. I went to therapy got some relief.
A couple years of this on going bursitis caused by the muscles being streesed cuased by my OsteoArthritis & osteoporisis back problem gets old.
You get so tired of the constant pain.

So I found a Chiropractor.
A chiropractor may be able to help you with controlling pain from OA in the spine and neck (but not the hip or knees)

I LOVE what the Chiro has done for me in the past year!!!
I've been going fatithfully since last May.
My bursitis is gone, I can bend and straighten oh yeah my back feels 3 years younger now.

So whatever joint you have the OA in, keep your skeleton as lined up properly as possible and you'll have less pain.

That sounds easy.
BUT IS NOT Easy.
kEEPING THE SKELETON PROPERLY LINED UP IS HUGE TASK WHEN YOU HAVE OA.
But THAT IS THE KEY TO LESS PAIN.

Last edited by snowmelts; 04-09-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Snowmelts just to thank you so much for your post, it really was very helpful to me in so many ways. You answered all the questions I have asked myself mentally for months. Many blessings and good health to you and your family. Wildflowers

Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Osteoarthritis and Inflammation

There's a product that a neighbor uses that she purchased at our local health store. It's Emu Oil Cream that has several other ingredients that has helped. Another product she uses is Arnica Salve.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 04-18-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Well, as far as using over the counter creams and or ingesting pills as natural remedies not every item will work for everyone. BUT some items have proved to work wonderfully for SOME people.

OF COURSE everyone should take Calcium & D suppliments unless there is medical reason for that specific person not to.

oh, and WATER. My chiropractor says that drinking more water helps the discs in my spine stay as hydrated as possible and thereby shrink slower. I don't know if he is right but I've started drinking more water.

FOR ME:
Glucosamine & Chondroitin plus MSN taken regularly without fail seriously helps make my knee joint pain, from OA, much less. I've taken it for months and then did a test by stopping it and oh yeah, there is big diff in the amount of daily knee joint pain for me by taking it. I've now been taking it since 1999.
It makes my knee joint pain less.
It has no effect at ll on my spine pain though.

There have been scientific studies done on this, and the results were sort of inconclusive. Some people reported less knee pain and others didn't. The flaw in the study was that everyone took the same amount.
In real life one must take an amount based upon personal body weight.
Instructions are generally on the bottle but those are based on average weight. "Most" say 3 caplets spaced out during the day, but a heavier peson would need 4. a person weighing only 100 pounds would only take 2. Think in terms of 1 caplet per 50 pounds of body weight.
It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get pain relief using this suppliment so don't give up if your pain level doesn't change in a week.
Side effects often noted are changes in your hair and finger nails. For me my hair gained some unruley wave!
WARNING DO NOT take Chondroitin if you are taking a blood thinner or on aspirn therapy becasue it is a natural blood thinner.

ALSO: Natural Alfalfa pills can help. Don't ask me why but it can help me on bad days when the "bone on bone" type pain is "achy". This is also a natural blood thinner and has lots of Vitamin K. For some it can give stomach upset but not me.

Those are the only natural things I ingest for my osteoarthritis.

Last edited by snowmelts; 04-18-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts View Post
So I found a Chiropractor.
A chiropractor may be able to help you with controlling pain from OA in the spine and neck (but not the hip or knees)

I LOVE what the Chiro has done for me in the past year!!!
I've been going fatithfully since last May.
Hi snowmelts, great answers!! I just found out I have OA in the neck and spine. What treatments does a chiropractor do for you? I was going to ask my GP this the next time I'm there if going to a chiropracter would help with the pain... also, I was wondering if a back massage would help or hurt me? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #7
(female)

Laura51 HB User
Re: Osteoarthritis and Inflammation

Yes, it can be. I was having alot of pain in my left arm and I couldn't figure out what it could be. I also had pain in my left shoulder. I had PT for a month and it helped my shoulder. However, the pain in my armwouldn't subside so I went to my orthopedic Dr. and I had inflammation due to my arthritis. He gave me a cortisone injection by my left collarbone and it really helped. I have to be careful with inflamatory meds due to other health issues. Excercising the area really helps. Hope you can find some relief.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Thanks Snowmelts! I appreciate it!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Snowmelts

I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful information. You have helped me more than you will ever know... and not just about the arthritis!

Today, I am going to my PCP because I am breaking out in spontaneous black and blue marks. Because of YOU, I now know that the chrondroitin is a natural blood thinner ( I also am taking gloucosomine/Chrondroitin with MSM)and one of my goals today is going to be to ask the doctor to take me OFF Plavix prescribed after a heart attack.

Also am going to print your posts here and use them as a reference in treating my Osteoarthritis.

Snowmelts, you are doing fabulous work here sharing your knowledge and experience.

thank you so much
reachout

Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I am not a medical professonial I'm just speaking from personal experience.
But it's true about those blood thinners. You CAN buy gloucosomine with MSM yet without the Chrondroitin. That might be an answer if bruses are appearing. Those bruses appearing DO mean your blood is being overly thinned.
Let us know what yoiur Dr says.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
(female)

Unhappy Re: Osteoarthritis and Inflamation

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis several years ago. All my joints are now affected I have nodules/lumps on both thumbs, four fingers and three toes. I have muscle inflammation several places starting from my shoulders down to my lower back. I am beginning to wonder if it's just Osteoarthritis or another form of arthritis and something else. I had a muscle biopsy it showed Myopathy which my doctor said is not specific enough. I saw Neurologist I had a EMG test nerve damage was very minor, but it did show muscle weakness. Somedays I can hardly walk or lift my arms. I am doing Physical Therapy in hopes they can relieve some of my pain. They used a Tens machine and heat packs on me last night it took away about 30% of my pain. I have been through many blood tests and see a Rheumatologist regularly. Does anyone have these type of symptoms and have they been helped by doctors?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

No, I have no lumps in my fingers or toes.
I hope your's gets relief soon.

Since I last posted my osteoarthritis has spread and attacked my feet.
Started fast and painfully with heel bone spurs.
Got a cortisone injection and that helped wonderfully.

But just a couple weeks later the entire left foot became swollen, red and too painful to step on. I thought I'd actually broken it but no, it seems to be osteoarthritis the bones in the top over my arch.
( I'm learning the hard way that each foot has 33 joints in it! )
This arch/ankle foot pain was just too much to take.
I even have taken to useing a cane some evenings just to take the pressure off the foot.

I happily accepted a perscription. I'm allergic to aspirn and it's realatives so the Dr gave me Tramadol. Low dose and only one pill a day for pain only.
Merciful relief.
I now only take the Tramadol on horribly bad days.
It is only for pain and cures nothing but there are days when it's just necessary to control that pain.
There are side effects but I am careful and rarely take one and never take it when I'm gonna drive.

Other days I just take Tylenol Arthritis which helps me a lot.

The Dr also told me to get soft floor rugs (less impact on my feet)
Also told me to get some over the counter shoe inserts for my heels.
So I'm "gelling" with Dr Scholl's.

My chiro is now also working on my feet as well as my spine.
He used that little popper thingy he has to subjegate (sp) a few of the little bones on the side of my arch. Hopefully we can slow down the progression of the deforming effcts of osteoarthritis in the feet.

Fighting arthritis is a full time job for me this year.
It's a war I will lose (untill a cure is discovered) but I can win some of the battles.
I do all I can to at least I slow down the effects of it.

I'm having a hand held shower installed today along with a grab bar.
I have a shower bench with a back.
I can still stand in the shower but it's painful so I'm getting this arranged now for safty.

Sure makes me appear "old" to be installing "old people" things like a hand held shower, shower bench and grab bar.

However, I think we all must think in terms of physical safety and grant that arthritis is not curable and is progressive but we can gain some control by acknowledging that man-made tools, such as hand held showers, are out there to help us safty-wise.
After we need to consider that all falling causes injuries we don't need.
So tonight I'll be setting taking my first ever hand-held shower.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks Snowmelts for your reply again. I think you are being smart having those things installed. My husband and I had to move to ranch house because he and I could no longer master the stairs. We made sure the new house had a bar in the shower and seats in the shower. For healthy people this seem unimportant but for people with auto immune diseases, Arthritis or other disabilities find these items very helpful in our day to day lives of pain. I have had several cortisone shots no help. I work a full time job and finding it very difficult. I have been reviewing my options, can I continue to work or do I retire early. I am only in my 50's.

Closed Thread