It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Question Polymyalgia rheumatica?

I'm curious to know if anybody "young" has been diagnosed with this?

My drs can't seem to figure out what's wrong with me, but I guess for insurance purposes, they need a diagnosis when prescribing meds, doing billing, etc..? After my visit today, the CNP suggested it was possible I have Polymyalgia rheumatica. I've never heard of it before. And while in a lot of ways it sounds like my experience, every website I've looked at so far said it's almost always seen in adults over age 50. I'm 32. Also, according to the another site, it suggests that with treatment, polymyalgia rheumatica usually disappears in a day or two. W/out treatment, it usually goes away after a year or more. My pains have been going on for like 10 times that. So.. this really isn't making sense?

Is there anyone else here under 50 that's been diagnosed with this? And are you sort of in diagnosis limbo like I've been for the last several years? (And what are you taking for your pain? I just stopped Topamax because I started having odd reactions to it. Now I'll be going on Elavil).

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
(male)

neilpk HB User
Re: Polymyalgia rheumatica?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 40, but the symptoms have been going on for three years or so. I went to the doctor a couple of months ago, for a sinus infection, and he prescribed prednisone. Within a few hours of taking a 50 mg dose, I felt like a new man. The doctor said that whenever prednisone works that quickly, it's probably polymyalgia. He had me tapering off, and I finished my last pill yesterday morning. I can feel my muscles in my neck, shoulders and hips getting more sore and tense by the hour, so I think I'll see about a longer run on the prednisone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

lucy415 HB User

I am 39 yr old & after seeing the neuro today advised I may have polymyalgia rheumatica. I have been in pain for almost a year. At first my pain was isolated to my hips and after several months of my family doctor dismissing my complaints I visited an orthopedist. He said I had bilateral bursitis & gave me cortisone injections along with 6 weeks of physical therapy. After 3 weeks of PT, the therapist said he thought I should see a rheumatologist since I wasn't improving, and that my issues didn't seem mechanical in nature. Long story short- got a new internist who referred me to the present neurologist. Labs for lupus, RA, B12, Iron, etc. are normal. ESR & C Reactive Protein both elevated. Neuro not concerned with ESR since it is only slightly elevated, but concerned with CRP since it is 34 times higher than it should be.Also had nerve conduction study which was normal. At first she thought I probably had Fibromyalgia, but since subsequent labwork, doesn't think so. Waiting on more labs. Plans to put me on prednisone for PMR if labs are ok.
I am scared to death. I have been in pain for so long. It seems everytime I go to the doctor I get more questions than answers. I just turned 39, but I feel every bit of 69! I have a husband of 15 yrs and 2 children, and at this point I feel like my health is keeping me from being the mom & wife I want/need to be. Sorry for the rant...I am so exasperated!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I can see why the doc is concerned. PMR usually has a very high ESR....possibly over 100...but not a high CRP.

Both the ESR and CRP are tests for inflammation but they don't tell you where or why. You just have inflammation. But a high CRP is often associated with heart disease and other medical problems.

The good news is that PMR is usually self-limiting and it goes away with time. Predinsone is the treatment.

Glad the neuro is treating you but if it doesn't resolve pretty quickly, get to a rheumy.

good luck..............Jenny

Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
(female)

CaroleHa HB User

My body did not immediately respond to prednisone--it took a week. Maybe because my mother died that week and I was under some stress. At any rate, I am approaching 3 yrs with PMR and have tapered the prednisone to 1/2 mg. I found that I had to pace myself according to what my body told me, not what the doc suggested. He thought I could reduce every month. For me, it sometimes took 2 1/2 months to feel as though my body's ability to deal with the inflammation had recovered from the change in dosage. I do have some pain, but I can now stand for longer periods (an hour--a big improvement over 10 minutes!) and I am less tired. The prednisone apparently causes fatigue. There were days when I sat down on the couch and was asleep 2 min later. At any rate, I feel that each patient has to listen carefully to the signals from his/her body and then you can eventually get off the steroids--I hope! Good luck to all.

The following user gives a hug of support to CaroleHa:
trouble222 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

trouble222 HB User
Angry Re: Polymyalgia rheumatica?

Hi fellow sufferers
I have had pmr for about 3 yrs. I finally got off the prednisone. That wonderful little pill caused enough damage. I would like to know does pmr go into remission? Can it come back. Lord, I hope not, but i am in a lot of pain now and it feels like pmr. Oh i also have fibro. Lucky me. Has anyone had it go away then come back? Any info would be great.
thanks
Anna

Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I have not personally had this experience, but it is possible for PR to return, particularly if prednisone is stopped too soon. If symptoms return, the doctor usually puts the patient back on prednisone.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
(female)

trouble222 HB User

Hi, thanks for the answer. That is one pill I will never go back on. This is a very bad pill. I contacted diabeties from the prednisone. By the time I was dx my glucose was 528. and my a1c was 12. It has been since January that I have not taken pred. I imagine that probably why i'm in so much pain. I guess I will have to suffer with it. I so hate this dumb disease.lol
thanks again
Anna

Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
(female)

caro_lyn HB User

My dotor told me 10 years ago that PMR lasted any where from 1 to 4 yrs. Mine lasted 4. I was on pred. But now the pains in my hips shoulders and neck are back. My doctor now tells me that I can always have flare ups.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
(female)

Edinkellie HB User

Well, I have to agree that prednisone does have some serious side effects. I have recently been diagnosed with PMR and thought about giving up the prednisone, but read that PMR can lead to permanent disabilities if not treated and to another disease - giant cell arteritis which can cause aneurysm, stroke or heart attack. So, holy crow if I have to choose being dead or taking prednisone, I guess I will take the prednisone. I am up to 17.5 mg a day as the inflammation keeps coming back. It is very frustrating - but I guess we do what we have to. I would love to know if anyone else with this disease has found another way to deal with it. Edinkellie

Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
(female)

trouble222 HB User

HI, You have to take the pred. because that is the only way the pain goes away. Just be aware of the side effects of this little pill. I never knew that it could give me Diabeties'. Would I have taken the pred if I had known, probably. I just wanted to get rid of the pain and would probably hoped I would never get diabeties. I am handling both diseases. The pain is in my butt and hips and legs. I don't know if it is fibro rearing its ugly head or pmr or the diabeties. There was an old saying I used to hear when I was young "Can't kill a good frenchman, but you make him wish he was dead" and on some days that is ever so true.lol
take care of yourself and the pain does subside.
Anna

Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
(female)

Edinkellie HB User

Thank you Anna - I just needed to hear that from someone else who has to put up with this awful condition. So far I haven't developed any of the other conditions, but I will be very aware of the side affects. Blessings

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
(female)

mjg17 HB User

Hi. Just wondering how you made out with your treatment. I have been chasing this thing down for four years (started at 48) I too felt completely better within hours of steroids! But when I go off, It comes back. Doc just put me on 12 mgs of Medrol a day for 3 months, then 2.5 for a month, then I will taper off. 1/2 pill or 2 milligrams gets rid of the symptoms but when I stop, they come right back. Doc is trying higher doses to try to end it for good. Sounds like Polymyalgia Rheumatica on paper... but I am still not exactly sure, especially because I am young for it. Hope you are feeling better.

mj

Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
(female)

Edinkellie HB User

Well, it seems that everytime they increase the steroids (now up to 20mg a day) they work fine for a couple of weeks and then it comes back. The only thing different is that although I get inflammation pain, I do not get the stiffness. My hands are now painful which is a new symptom so I may have another type of arthritis going on. I am just putting off going to the doctor. I try to stay positive, but sometimes that is difficult when there is a life to be lived and it is hard to move around. I am sorry that you are having this so young - as we age I think we expect something, but not at your age. Sorry I have no other info at this point, when I get back to the dr if there is anything new I will post.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
(female)

mygreenhouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleHa View Post
My body did not immediately respond to prednisone--it took a week. Maybe because my mother died that week and I was under some stress. At any rate, I am approaching 3 yrs with PMR and have tapered the prednisone to 1/2 mg. I found that I had to pace myself according to what my body told me, not what the doc suggested. He thought I could reduce every month. For me, it sometimes took 2 1/2 months to feel as though my body's ability to deal with the inflammation had recovered from the change in dosage. I do have some pain, but I can now stand for longer periods (an hour--a big improvement over 10 minutes!) and I am less tired. The prednisone apparently causes fatigue. There were days when I sat down on the couch and was asleep 2 min later. At any rate, I feel that each patient has to listen carefully to the signals from his/her body and then you can eventually get off the steroids--I hope! Good luck to all.
hi - my mum has been diagnosed with PMR 3 months ago, after 3 years of pain. Started in the sole of her foot (bursitis) and gradually moved up her calf muscle, thigh and buttock. Muscles intensely stiff / hard and one side of buttock lost muscle mass completely! Just recently, the pain has gone further up to her shoulders (both) and headaches started. Normally, PMR sufferers lose weight. She has put on a lot. Maybe cos she could not move. She is on Prednisone 10mg/day. Doc started her on 20mg but she could not take it.
How long have you been taking Prednisone and how much? Did you put on weight? Swelling around the face / headaches? Clumsyness? Slight loss of orientation? Sorry - Im extremely worried for her and Australian physicians don't seem to know much or have the time for patients! We haven't had much luck anyway! Thanks!

Closed Thread