It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

Katzpurr HB User
Question Blood test came back slightly elevated RA..false positive?

Hi there all
I had a complete blood panel done. Ruled out Lupus, Cancer and a lot of other diseases. Nuclear anti-antibodies also negative.The only thing that came back semi abnormal was that my Rhumetoid Arthritis factor or whatever its called was slightly elevated. I do not seem to have any other symptoms of arthritis except a bum knee from a soccer injury way back in high school..I am now 37. Could it be a false positive? He said I was healthy and everything looked normal except for a SLIGHTLY ELEVATED RA. He does not seem to think I have RA and wants me to come back in a month. IF not RA what else would make this blood test come back slightly elevated? Something I ate? I had a blood panel done last year and my thyroid was slightly low and now thats normal. Is this something that fluctuates like the thyroid? Please let me know...its bugging me!
Thanks
Stacey

Old 04-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
(male)

yorksguy61 HB User
Re: Blood test came back slightly elevated RA..false positive?

Hi Stacey, it is still possible that you have a form of arthritis. Sero negative arthritis shows normal in blood tests (hence its name serum negative) , there are also other forms of arthritis which don't show up. I had the exact same problem as you two years ago, slightly raised rheumatoid factor but nothing else. Finally turned out many months later that they told me i had fibromyalgia.
Hope you get sorted
Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

creinha HB User

Rheumatoid Factor can be slightly elevated in 1-2% of a healthy population. You say you aren't having any arthritis symptoms. Why did you have the test run? What symptoms are you having?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

ClareD3 HB User

Hi
7 years ago my RA factor was slightly dectectable, then the next test it was normal. However after a year I was diagnosed on symptoms alone which are classic. I have had my ups and downs, been on Enbrel almost 4 years and it has made my life so much better. I wish I had started it right away years ago. But it was new, then you had to be on a waiting list for it. I was on the list for almost a year.

Clare

Closed Thread