It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
(male)

Toneman HB User
RA and Finger Numbness

I was diagnosed with RA about 6 months ago, although I've had the symptoms for many years. It is worse in my hands, feet, knees and intercostal joints in my rib cage.

I have developed a new symptom, numbness in my thumb and the first two fingers on each hand, for about two months now. At first it was off an on but it is pretty much all the time now. I told my Rheumatologist during my regular check up this week and he was concerned and told me if the numbness does not go away he will do a EMG on my next visit in 3 months to check for a compressed nerve due to the swelling in my wrists as a result of the RA. If it shows a compressed nerve he wants me to undergo surgery on both wrists to take the pressure off the nerve, something like a carpal tunnel procedure only a little more involved.

Has anyone had any experience with this as part of your RA? Any input on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

Seasha HB User
Re: RA and Finger Numbness

The numbness in my hands, wrists and fingers were my 1st symptoms of RA. I did have carpal tunnel in both wrists and elbow following my nerve conduction test. But it is due to the swelling that comes with RA. I am confused why your RD would say you need to have surgery. If you get the RA under control your symptoms should go away.

Dx'd- RA Sero-Negative 4/14/07
Meds- Pred 10mg, Plaquenil 400mg, Meloxicam 7.5mg, Cymb 60mg, Estradol 1mg

Last edited by Seasha; 05-13-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
(male)

Toneman HB User
Re: RA and Finger Numbness

Unfortunately, I have small wrists to begin with and with the additional pressure from the swelling due to the RA, there just is not enough room for the nerve. He did say that the surgery would be necessary if we are unable to control the swelling medically.

Thanks for your reply.
Tony

Closed Thread