It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Tomatoes making arthritis worse?

Have any of you all heard about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
(male)

John 777 HB User
Re: Tomatoes making arthritis worse?

Yes all members of the Nightshade family can increase Arthritis pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
(female)

roses4evver HB User

John 777....what exactly do you mean by the nightshade family?

I just recently heard that potassium causes more arthritis pain. I take 1 potassium supplement pill daily specifically for tendonitis & past stress fractures in my feet for the last 12 yrs. I have always had so much feet pain in the past except for the last 3 years...no problems (maybe a bit of tendonitis here & there). I do have bad osteo (just had a knee replacement & I'm 46), Rheumatoid, & connective tissue arthritis as well.

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I have arthritis from a variety of causes & discovered that eliminating nightshades from my diet reduced my day to day pain by about 50%, and my flare level pain is equally reduced in intensity. I've been on the diet for over 6 mos. now & intend to continue as the improvement has def. been worth the small sacrifices.

Nightshade family foods are: potato, tomato, eggplant, and peppers of the spicy and bell varieties. Black ground pepper is not a nightshade. In addition to avoiding the whole foods, you must avoid most convenience & prepared foods, which frequently contain paprika or chili or other nightshade peppers in the "spices." Most condiments & salad dressings,commercially prepared, contain nightshades unless verified by the manufacturer as NF (nightshade free).

In the USA, most nonorganic soy has been GMO'd with petunia (a nightshade) genes spliced in, so a true NF diet will use only organic soy. And perhaps the biggest offender, tobacco, is not a food, but nevertheless, it is a strong nightshade. Avoidance of tobacco products, even 2nd hand smoke, is an important part of the NF diet.

Not everyone who has arthritis finds benefit from a trial of NF diet. But there are thousands of converts to this lifelong way of eating, who leave behind a life of pain for one of greater ease & activity.

HTH. Best wishes.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
(female)

andie11 HB User

Yes my husband has tried this and it works well. He was very reluctant to give up potatoes, but we tried all nightshade free for about 2 weeks then reintroduced the potatoes and so far so good. he avoids tomatoes, green peppers and wouldn't think of eating egg plant!
You must also be aware of the spices. Cayenne pepper, paprika are made with bell peppers. Avoid anything with peppers in the title, other that black.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCC View Post
Have any of you all heard about this?

Closed Thread