It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

GramaD4Deb HB User
newby/looking for info OA (post cervical & pre-lumbar fusion)

Hello from the Michigan. I am looking for info about Osteoarthritis/Spinal Stenosis/Degenerative Disk Disease and nerve damage. I am 51 yrs old. In short I fired my PCP (primary care physician) after yrs of telling me the pains I had were from aging and the dx:fibromyalgya. I have always worked in the medical field and I knew this was more than "the aging process". Last Sept I switch my PCP and since then it has been a whirlwind of MRI's,CT Scans,Emg's and X-rays. From PCP to Pain clinic to Neurosurgeon and in April I had a cervical fusion of C3-C4C4-C5/C5-C6/C6-C7. He said he could "fix it" but my PCP said with the damage the best I could pray for was less pain and more function. Now I have numbness and tingling in the last 3 fingers of each hand and very little strength and it has not improved since surgery:surgeon says it will take time...up to 1 yr. Got fired on my 11th anniversary of working as phlebotomist at speciality Physicans office because I was unable to perform my job dutues and when I asked about other positions was told by HR "they have no jobs for anyone with a bad back". I have limited my going anywhere except the store because they have shopping carts I can hold on to.My first love is to go and and babysit grandchildren (1-girl 5 yr & 1 boy 2 ys old.) and in 1 week I managed to fall "up"the stairs once and down the stairs once. Tattletale granddaughter told my Son. Then coming home I stopped for pop and when I went to get in my truck (hubby had side steps put on so I could get in the truck)and R hip gave out...Great I am 50 miles from home and my cell phone battery is dead and I can not walk...waited and tried til I got in after about 20 minutes. Went to go fishing Sat and my hubby has redone things on pontoon boat to make it easier for me to go. I went to go to restroom and fell face first on the concrete walkway. And my Dr is sending me to talk to someone about Depression and anxiety.......no ---- Dick Tracey. Surgeon is sitting up another MRI/CT Scan/X-ray to get ready for Lumbar surgery next month. Orthopedic is sitting up surgery on R shoulder to remove 2 cm calcification pushing on tendon. I am so scared because of what happen after cervical fusion. I have searched the web but I would like to be able to chat with someone who has HAD OA/cervical fusion/lumbar fusion. Any advice? Any suggestions? I am trying to stay positive and count my blessing. But it gets harder with each new dx. I am so tired of all of it. I have not told any of the drs abut the hip going out I was praying it would quit doing it and so far it had only been in the house but today I am going to call PCP and tell him:he will know something is wrong when he sees me with a blackeye/skinned cheek/skinned knuckles/skinned knees and the bruises on my legs and arms. Any one have any advice???? Thank you for taking the time to read this "book" LOL. Deb in MI

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: newby/looking for info OA (post cervical & pre-lumbar fusion)

Hi Deb. I'm in GR also. You might want to try the back pain board on this site. They deal mainly with lower back pain but can be helpful with the whole mess. Isn't it great to deal with our doctors? If I could find just one with chronic back pain it would be fantastic. I'm at the point where I think most of them see us as nothing more than a boat payment. Good luck, Fred

Closed Thread