It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
miztee
(female)

miztee HB User
Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

HI - does anyone out there also have trauma arthritis after an ankle fracture, and the only option seems to be fusion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
happyfoot7
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User
Re: Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

Hi,

I had an ankle replacement, but it does depend where the ankle is, if the bone is dead (depending on where you are - how old you are)

Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
stepbystep89
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I have/had post-traumatic arthritis following an ankle fracture. My experience has been rocky. In 2000 I fell on the ice and broke my ankle leaving work. I had surgery about a week later with hardware placement - plate, 4 pins and 2 large screws. I was working on my feet as a restaurant manager at the time, and returned to work quickly. About a year later the ortho told me I had arthritis. About 16 months after my fracture we scheduled my first of 2 arthoscopies. I had pain relief for about 9 months. I was working about 60 hours a week on my feet at the time. That could have impacted my high pain level. I had it fused last year with an external fixator. I ended up with a staph infection, 12 days hospitalized, 2 additional surgeries and a crooked toe. At this point, I wonder if I should have had it fused. Still taking pain meds one year out. Plan on having Keller procedure to correct my big toe. Hopeful the pain will be relieved once I can walk correctly.
I realize my experience probably doesn't make a fusion sound very promising, but I am not completely through the recovery process yet. Maybe I am just going through a tough time.
Some people have ankle replacements, but my dr told me I was too young (36) and the replacement would not last long enough for me. Best option in my situation was to fuse it.

Last edited by stepbystep89; 09-14-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
tess50
(female)

tess50 HB User
Wink Re: Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

Hi how are you now,i am scheduled for a total ankle replacement this month,and am thinking to get a second opinion, have rheumatoid arthritis but arthritis in the ankle joints and the right foot is very swollen at the side looks like fluid,i have been on antiflamatories and embrel but my foot seems to have collapsed when i look and the movement is limited,i am walk with a limp/would u say surgery was good for you they still m ay change their mind and do a fusion. hope you are getting better hope to hear from you teresa anything that y think may help please tell me.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
happyfoot7
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

I had a replacement, it is fantastic, I am 26 yers old

Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
hootyhoo
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztee View Post
HI - does anyone out there also have trauma arthritis after an ankle fracture, and the only option seems to be fusion?
I broke my ankle when I was about 20,,,am 56 now ,, had no cartilege in my ankle anymore...so needed the surgery.and had an ankle fusion on august 29. complicated by the fact that my talus is porous so the surgeon had to put extra screws thru the ankle into my heal. i should have the cast removed on oct. 25, but now i will start wearing one of the aircast boots..that goes to my knee, but i can remove to shower.

i have pretty much stayed in bed for the past two months,,,no going out,,used a walker, cause i thought it was easier than crutches.

i never thought i'd get thru this, and i'm not totally done, but i can see the tunnel from here!

good luck to you.

let me know what is going on...i havent' found all that much info online from this type of arthritis...(traumatic). i don't have arthritis in any other part of my body...thank goodness.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
hootyhoo
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
I have/had post-traumatic arthritis following an ankle fracture. My experience has been rocky. In 2000 I fell on the ice and broke my ankle leaving work. I had surgery about a week later with hardware placement - plate, 4 pins and 2 large screws. I was working on my feet as a restaurant manager at the time, and returned to work quickly. About a year later the ortho told me I had arthritis. About 16 months after my fracture we scheduled my first of 2 arthoscopies. I had pain relief for about 9 months. I was working about 60 hours a week on my feet at the time. That could have impacted my high pain level. I had it fused last year with an external fixator. I ended up with a staph infection, 12 days hospitalized, 2 additional surgeries and a crooked toe. At this point, I wonder if I should have had it fused. Still taking pain meds one year out. Plan on having Keller procedure to correct my big toe. Hopeful the pain will be relieved once I can walk correctly.
I realize my experience probably doesn't make a fusion sound very promising, but I am not completely through the recovery process yet. Maybe I am just going through a tough time.
Some people have ankle replacements, but my dr told me I was too young (36) and the replacement would not last long enough for me. Best option in my situation was to fuse it.
wow..you have had a difficult time of it! it seems most of the ankle replacements are done outside of the US...FDA is pretty sceptical of them at this point. Evidently, if you are an active person, and it sounds as tho you are,,,they tend to wear out. That's why they recomend the fusion.

i have read about the external fixator, but only that they did it. never talked to anyone who had it. why did you choose that way of fusion?..may i ask?

hope you get thru this. i'm still working on my recovery, and it may take longer than planned but you have had it bad! good luck

Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
tess50
(female)

tess50 HB User
Wink Re: Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

Hi can you tell me what your symptoms was before the operation,i am supposed to have a total ankle replacement end of this month,but really am wondering am i doing the right thing im just 50 and cope with life quite well considering i have arthritis,but did you have pain before your walking was it affected,please can you advise me as i am seeking another opinion.Im sure with a steroid injection or something else i could delay the surgery.As it is a big operation and i read the stories are not great outcome.Thanks Teresa.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
hootyhoo
(female)

hootyhoo HB User

theresa..i'm not good as a second opinion on your ankle, because i am not a doctor. but i have had trauma arthritis for some time in my anke. honestly for over 10 years prior to this surgery. i'm in the usa..and they are not convinced the ankle replacement is the way to go as of yet. they say it doesn't last for more than 10 15 years or so..and if you are active,,,and i am..they said fusion is the way to go.

but i read on these boards, and almost everyone from outside the usa have ankle replacements. and people are up and going two weeks after the surgery,,just like knee replacements! i think that is awesome!

and yes...i was in pain..used copper bracelets, magnets,,and pain meds,,and finally started wearing a leather orthotic on my foot and ankle. for three years...then finally had the surgery to fuse. i'm not quite two months out yet,,still casted.

they didn't want to do it three years ago, as they said i was too young..and yes..my ankle hurt...and it interfered with my lifestyle big time. (i couldn't walk much,,for instance)

if you are not in that much pain...personally, i would hold off as long as i could stand it...and if it is affecting your quality of life,,then go for it.

i think European docs /medicine is ahead of the US. good luck and keep intouch. it's a scarey decision...and i put mine off as long as i could. p

Last edited by hootyhoo; 10-10-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: fix smiley

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
miztee
(female)

miztee HB User

Does anyone know if an ankle replacement can be done if the ankle has been previously fused? I'd think all those screws would weaken the bones so the replacement wouldn't adhere.

I broke my ankle 2 yrs ago, have a plate and screws, and the trauma arthritis followed. I am 66 yrs old and live in California. I am waiting as long as I can for any more surgery - it's painful to walk, I limp badly, and my ankle swells (and sometimes gives way) so I use a cane or ankle-foot orthotic at times. Fusion has been suggested by my orthopaedic surgeon, and he says if I can wait about 2 more years ankle replacements here will be proven enough to consider. Most doctors here are wary of them but I don't know the success rate out of the USA.

Hooty, I'm hoping you are making good progress after your fusion. It's hard to stay "down" for two months so I hope the aircast will help. (I was casted 6 wks following the break, then a boot 6 wks after that).

Teresa, this isn't quite a second opinion, but if you are getting along pretty well, I'd delay the surgery or at least get another opinion from a doctor there. Has your surgeon done a lot of these replacements, and what are the long-term results? At 50 and 66, we've still got a lot of living - and walking- to do!!!
Mary

Last edited by miztee; 10-10-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
hootyhoo
(female)

hootyhoo HB User
Cool Re: Trauma Arthritis in Ankle

You are right, Mary...Theresa should get a second opinion. And as I said earliler...it seems like they are doing replacements in Europe, as they do most medical things way before it is FDA approved in the US....no judgement there,,

I was very anxious to have an ankle replacement, but there are so many intricate little bones in our feet and all our body weight is on it...so the replacements tend to wear out pretty fast.

My surgeon told my hub and I there were NO ankle replacements available at this time in the US...that would last more than 5 years.

But to respond to your inquiry, Mary...he did tell us that after a fusion if a person wanted an ankle replacement it could be done. So I would think that would be the same for you as well.

I'm 56...so right in the 'lotta life' ages you referred to earlier. p

Closed Thread