It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Feeling the cold more?

Hi everyone, I know that I have arthritis but am still in the middle of finding out what kind. I have very painful joints with swelling, and arthritis of the spine. Now I know from experience that the cold weather makes the pain worse however, I was wondering if anyone else FEELS the cold more? Like if I'm outside and it's cool say 50(f) I am shivering! No one else is and I am dressed much warmer than they are. Even now as I sit in my house I am freezing and dressed for winter. I can tell it's not that cold but I am freezing!
Does anyone understand this? I'm beginning to feel crazy on top of everything else plus my husband thinks it's ridiculous and gets annoyed. (why I have no idea!)

Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Re: Feeling the cold more?

Hello,

As I write to you it is sunny outside and quite warm, people are walking about in t shirts, I have put the heating on and my feet are ice cold. I have arthritis and have had for 4 years. I have loads of flushes with the arthritis and drugs, but on the whole I am cold most of the year!!!! My hubby sits in shorts while I sit in trousers, socks, slippers and the heating on. I think people with arthritis do feel the cold. Also, like you say, the cold gets right through and makes my bones hurt more. We went to Spain this year, 40 degrees and I soaked the warmth up into my bones. Swelled up badly, but it was lovely to feel warm!!!

Ronnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Yes, same here. My bones feel cold as well. It's a feeling that is very difficult to explain to others, it feels literally like the cold just goes right through me and it takes forever to get warm. It's only September and I am feeling the need for gloves. I am wearing 2 pair of socks and slippers-doesn't matter, my feet are freezing. My hands are freezing, I'm freezing! I also went on vacation recently and it was very hot and humid-not good either though it was nice to not be freezing.
What are we supposed to do? Have you found any way to keep warm without looking like your dressed for winter when it's 60 degrees outside?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I have given up worrying about whether I look silly outside. I always have socks and shoes on, for me to put sandals on it has to be really hot, and living in Britain that doesnt happen very often!! I try not to put the heating on until I really need to, so wrap up in jumpers and socks. I have even put socks on in bed. The other thing you have to watch is socks that are too tight round the top as this makes my feet freezing if my ankles are swollen. What kind of arthritis did you say you have? I have found hot baths just before bed saves me laying awake half the night trying to warm my feet up! My hands are always cold, I have to rub them quite a lot, I always wear gloves in the winter. The only thing that seems to warm me up is alcohol and thats a no no with the drugs I am on (mind you just sometimes when I am frozen a small rum and coke does wonders!!) it warms me right down to my toes. lol. Too tight shoes makes my feet cold as well. Love my furry boots in the winter with thick socks. lol

Ronnie

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi again kdel,

Sorry in my last thread asked you what arthritis you have, you already said you didnt know. Let me know when you find out. What tablets do you take? When will you find out.

Ronnie

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi again, I have not been prescribed anything yet specifically for arthritis, this diagnosis is very new and I have to go to the rheumy to find out just how bad, what kind and where. Mri of c-spine was done and we know it's there but I suffer with all joints also-whole spine, knees (they swell also) I have even had my lower back swell which was scary and wrists, fingers, hips. I also have fibromyalgia so just thought it was that for a while but bloodwork says differently. I have a positive ana with a speckled pattern, VERY high inflammation markers and some other weird stuff going on in bloodwork so really I just have to get to the rheumy. Also yesterday I said the heck with this and put the heat on just to get the chill out of the house!
As for meds, I do take some pain meds but they were prescribed for the fibro, and also anxiety meds.

Last edited by kdel; 09-18-2007 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

I always freeze even at room temperature, especially my hands and feet. My bf laughs at me at times cause I'll have on socks and slippers when it's 90 degrees outside LOL. I always wondered if there was a connection with arthritis (RA for me) and cold hands/feet.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
(female)

wen10 HB User

Recently i was also dx with raynaurds syndrome which is often associated with RA, this could be why you are always feeling the cold! Even on a hot day i find myself with bed socks or slippers on!
wenXXX.

Closed Thread