It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

jenilee70 HB User
Arthritis or? Help with interpreting blood tests

I got the blood test results from the new rheumy this week. Some of the results were similar from before, and some were different. I would really appreciate it if someone here could help me interpreting the tests, as my rheumatologist is not very communicative at all...

Anyway, here it is:

RF Rheumaton was positive
RF RAPA was a low positive (1:40)
RF Elisa was positive (26)
RF IgM was positive (32)

ANA was a low positive
ENA was positive (6,24)
Anti SSA was positive (4,09)

Sed rate was slightly elevated (32)
B Hct (hematocrit) was slightly low (3,339)
HDL cholesterol was low (0,9)

OK, I understand that the cholersterol is just a general health indicator and has little to do with arthritis or other diseases. I've had positive ANA and SSA tests before, but then the numbers were a lot higher. So I guess that's good.

Is Hct the same as the number of red blood cells? Cause I've had a low blood count before, but then it was also a lot lower. I'm taking Plaquenil and I wonder if that is helping with the blood count and ANA or not.

Also, RF is positive which it hasn't been before. Yet, both rheumatologists I've seen say that I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, although both have noticed sore/swollen joints in my fingers. Is that because the numbers are too low? Does anyone know?

All I'm diagnosed with is fibromyalgia, but typical fibro means NORMAL blood tests and my tests have not been normal for over two years. It's not that I want to have RA or anything, but I want my hands to get better and it will not get better if I'm not getting the right diagnosis or treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
(female)

wen10 HB User
Re: Arthritis or? Help with interpreting blood tests

Hello jenilee
Im afaraid i am not really able to help you with understanding your results, perhpas you could ask them to check your ESR levels and C-reactive protein which measures amount of inflammation in your body through blood tests. Im not sure what the ANA positive represents but i do know that is a test for Lupus aswell as RA but again im certainly no expert on all these tests. Perhaps you could go back to doctor for more reassurance. Takecare.What part of UK are you from?
wenXXX.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen10 View Post
Hello jenilee
Im afaraid i am not really able to help you with understanding your results, perhpas you could ask them to check your ESR levels and C-reactive protein which measures amount of inflammation in your body through blood tests. Im not sure what the ANA positive represents but i do know that is a test for Lupus aswell as RA but again im certainly no expert on all these tests. Perhaps you could go back to doctor for more reassurance.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my doctor isn't really the type that reassures.

ESR is the same as sedimentation (sed) rate, and that has always been elevated in the blood tests I have taken in the last two years. For women under 50 the normal rate is 20. Mine is currently 32 and hasn't been under 30 in two years.

The thing is, high sed rate can mean many things, including lupus, RA, infection, cancer and more. Now, I don't think I've had an infection for two years and I don't have cancer, but beyond that nobody seems to know.

A positive ANA may suggest autoimmune disease like lupus, Sjögren's and RA, but then again it may not mean anything, since there is a certain number of healthy people that also have a positive ANA.

I don't fulfill the diagnostic criteria for lupus or Sjögren's, but my blood tests DO have all the symptoms most common in RA, so I don't really understand why my rheumatologist is so adamant that I don't have RA.

Maybe I need a second (third) opinion.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
(female)

wen10 HB User

Hi Jenillee
I think a second opinion would be a good idea. I went for a second opinion as my consultant actually said that as all is not yet known about auto-immune diseases he even agreed that to have a second opinion would be advantageous. I actually paid and saw a professor in rheumatology. It was money certainly well spent! Wahat we have to remember is that the doctors dont know everything about these diseases as there are sooo many of them! Keep us posted of progress and takecare.
wenXXX.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
(female)

kfunk HB User

Help, I am a 44 year old and feeling older. I had a Brain Stem Stroke in May. Now I am having shoulder muscle pain, severe fatigue and occasional severe headaches. My ESR was 80 and my CRP test showed 3.7 I dont have a clue what this all means. The doctor keeps insisting that I am depressed. I feel like something more is going on.

Closed Thread