It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

questions on ankylosing spondylitis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
julie2424
(female)

julie2424 HB User
questions on ankylosing spondylitis

i have a few question about this i was dignosed 3 months ago im on celebrex and amitryline but for the past week my shoulders and arms hurt so bad and in my left side of my chest and it goes down my arm and in my shoulder blades any answer please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Norene Maher
(female)

Norene Maher HB User
Re: questions on ankylosing spondylitis

Hi Julie2424, I have the same problem. Because of the swelling in the ribs and shoulder into the chest it caused me to have Asthma. I take celebrex for the Ankylosing spondylitis and will start to take Remecade in November. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and find my food with alot of exercise helps me function. I go through the bad periods and try to do too much in the good periods. I sleep with ice, its cold but it works. I hope this helps.
Norene

Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
LAK
(female)

LAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie2424 View Post
i have a few question about this i was dignosed 3 months ago im on celebrex and amitryline but for the past week my shoulders and arms hurt so bad and in my left side of my chest and it goes down my arm and in my shoulder blades any answer please help
hi julie:

i'm sorry you're feeling so much pain. unfortunately those are pretty common AS symptoms. i use icy hot patches (large size) for the shoulder blades and the sternum area. it helps relax the stiffness and pain.

you should call your doctor to tell him that the celebrex isn't working and you need something else for your flare. i was on remicade for 6 years. it helped so much, i felt like a normal person at times.

please get better. leslie

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Norene Maher
(female)

Norene Maher HB User

Hi Leslie,
Can you give me some advice and knowledge about your experience on Remecade. I am suppose to start on November 13. I am a little nervous about the drug.
Norene

Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
LAK
(female)

LAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norene Maher View Post
Hi Leslie,
Can you give me some advice and knowledge about your experience on Remecade. I am suppose to start on November 13. I am a little nervous about the drug.
Norene

hi:

remicade was a miracle drug! the infusions take about 3 hours but they don't hurt at all. once nurse slips the needle in your vein, you just rest, read a book or watch tv. they will give you benadryl and tylenol before hand befort they start the drug.

they will keep a blood pressure cuff on your arm to take your blood pressure every 15 minutes. for some, remicade lowers the blood pressure but i have never had any reactions to this drug.

after the first infusion, i started to feel better. pain and stiffness was lessened incredibly. after the next several infusions, i would even forget to take vioxx pill because i was feeling so good.

congratulations. i know you're going to feel better soon.

leslie

Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Norene Maher
(female)

Norene Maher HB User

Hi Leslie,
Thank you so much for the response. I hope you are well.
Norene

Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
LAK
(female)

LAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norene Maher View Post
Hi Leslie,
Thank you so much for the response. I hope you are well.
Norene
hi norene:

thanks for asking.

unfortunately after 6 years, remicade stopped working. i began taking humira in early 2007. it does not work as well as remicade. right now i'm having trouble with crohn's disease flare. do you suffer from crohn's as well?

leslie

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Norene Maher
(female)

Norene Maher HB User

Leslie,
That is so funny that you say that. My husband has crohn's and I definately have something wrong in that area. I think it is food sensitivity or allergies that I have developed with this disease. My husband takes sulfasalazine. He loves it, no side effects. It is supposed to be for colitis or ankylosing. He was 9 when he started getting sick, so he knows all meds. He has to have a colonoscopy every 6 months to check for pollops. He feels great now. He starts his day juicing orange,apple, strawberries and sometimes with pineapple if we have it in the fridge. He works out everyday at the gym in his office. We both eat really well. When he has a flare up it is usually because he went off the diet.
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from this disease. If we could all have our very own compact porta potty, life would be better. Hee hee!!!
Norene

Closed Thread