It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

36 yr old w/Hip Osteoarthritis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
staceyb6
(female)

staceyb6 HB User
36 yr old w/Hip Osteoarthritis

Hi to all of you,
I've come to this message board in hopes to hear stories of others who are going through this and wanted to get some opinions. If I can help you in any way by sharing my experience I'd love to do that also.
I'm 36 and have hip osteoarthritis. It's progressively gotten worse with next steps most likely being a the total hip replacement. I feel I'm too young to get this surgery, and honestly, scared as well. I've read many testimonials that it's been so helpful for those who went through with it, but am I too young? Should I work through the pain with supplements, stretching, and losing weight? I feel like I buckle down for a good length of time and then I lag, ultimately not really slowing down the progression.
Any advice or opinions would be great.
Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
nik rag
(female)

nik rag HB User
Re: 36 yr old w/Hip Osteoarthritis

Hi Stacy -

I'm 37 & am on course for the Birminghma Hip Resurfacing (BHS). Being so young, this is a GREAT alternative to total hip - it will save your hip from being totally replaced.

BHS has been performed in England for 10 years & was just FDA approved in Feb 06. Not all orthopedics performing hip surgeries are offering this or have the training. It you see a surgeon that isn't trained in BHS, it's possible that they will tell you that you shouldn't do it - not all orthopedics will advise what's best for their patient. You need to find someone who will help you make the best decision for you. Be ready to interview orthopedics & find the one that you feel most comfortable with. You're the customer & you should spend your money where you want to.

Good luck

Nikki

Last edited by moderator2; 10-12-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I am 38 and early this yr was found to have it mildly in my hips, though more so in my right. I might have a small spur on the right as well. Even though by MRI terms, it says mild, I do get pain in there especially with weather changes and humidity. It hurts and I get very stiff and it's hard to get up from sitting. So mine is not bad yet, thankfully, as I have enough other joints that are. But I do have many family members who've had to have hip replacements. My uncle had bad hip issues as a child and had his replaced in his 40's...my aunt (his sister) just had hers done last year in her 50's. My grandma (their mother) was wheelchair bound by her late 30's. I am not yet in the same position as you, but i've had spine surgery already, though nothing was replaced, it was taken away. SO I do understand your hesitance about surgery. I waited a while before I gave in with my spine. But really, only you can decide for yourself. You will know when it's time to go for it. Maybe you never will...I may depend on how you feel it's affecting the quality of your life. I know several people who've had hip replacements and are doing remarkably well. Just do your research, try to find a good doc with lots of experience and ask them LOTS of questions!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
legallyblondied
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Stacey.....My name is Karen and i had a hip resurface surgery
last year and it turned out great. I am back dancing and can
do the splits and i am 62. You are much too young to even
consider a THR. There is a bone conserving technique that is
called hip resurfacing that would give you so much more longevity than a total hip replacement. Please look this up.
There are docs all over the country that perform this,and if
you would give meyour location i could help you find one that
could help you,,,,,,type in hip resurfacing docs in the US and
hip resurfacing an alternative to a THR and see the info you
get.....it is the way to go since with a Thr you are looking at
many revisions down the road unless you find a doc who will do a BFH metal on metal hip replacement, karen

Old 10-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
staceyb6
(female)

staceyb6 HB User

Thank you all for your comments. I'm glad to hear that you are both doing well. I will continue to research this and hip resurfacing. I had a recent dr. appt where my doctor also concluded that I was too young and he also did not want to administer a steroid shot. We're trying the Tylenol w/Codeine to help with the pain. I'm hopeful this will help.
Thanks again!
Stacey

Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
deni14
(female)

deni14 HB User

Do you want something effective, safe and a lot less problematic than the steroid or codeine drugs? You don't want to be taking those endlessly, since you are still young! You need to know how to prevent further deterioration and gain some pain free days... I can suggest more if you are interested...

Old 10-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
2hiptobetrue
(female)

2hiptobetrue HB User

Hello Staceyb6 - I am 52 and suffered much pain for over 5 years. It all probably began at your age, when I began to push, push, push and ignore all the warning signs. Both hips were degenerated per an exam the summer of 06I've now had both hips replaced this year, one in Aug and one in March. I am recovering, and can WALK AND STAND without PAIN for the first time in many years and my main problem is sitting; as the bursa swell and ache, and I have some nerve damage in my right "knee to thigh area" as a result of the second surgery on the left hip that took longer than was anticipated. But, I am one happy camper, as I can do many many things that I just could not do before. Of course, there are limations and I very well know them.

I encourage you to see several doctors; get several opinions and not wait too long. I waited and lost much quality of life. I realize that you are young, but you have to think about what you can and cannot do. Pain can really mess with you and affect more than you know. I agree with deni14 about you not taking too much of the codeine products. You'll get to where they do not help you. I say that if natural supplements of Glucosomine and other joint helps, along with ibuprofen do not keep you from pain, that surgery is a very valuable option, but be prepared to take some time off of life and recover and remember that it won't make you perfect. Only God can do that.

Last edited by 2hiptobetrue; 10-18-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
shilo 57
(female)

shilo 57 HB User

Hi, I am 57 and having my left hip replaced Oct. 31st. I had the right replaced nine years ago. In between i have had two back surgeries, one in May for spinal stenosis. I am still having some numbness in left leg, and am hoping for improvement after surgery. I am having a metal on metal replacement this time. I should be able to put full weight on it the second day. What type did you have?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
shilo 57
(female)

shilo 57 HB User

I hope to be home from surgery on the fourth day.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
mfhz68
(female)

mfhz68 HB User

Hi!
Sorry to hear you're going through so much pain. I first started to have hip pain in my early 40's. I ignored the pain until it was truly impeding my lifestyle. At 51 I received the porous Stryker hip replacement. That was five months ago and unfortunately my recovery has not gone so well. I'm still on a cane and have pain where the prothesis goes into the bone. I'm taking more pain meds and have less mobility in some ways and more in others the pre-surgery. The week before surgery, I push mowed my lawn and hand spaded my garden. I couldn't dream of doing that now. But last night, I walked four miles with the cane. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. The quality of my life has really not improved. I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I wish I'd known pre-surgery that what I'm dealing with now was a possilbility. My surgeon warned me of dying on the table or having the hip come out of socket if I didn't heed the precautions but there was no talk of being on a cane five months out. The last time I was in, he said all was well but then he's not trying to teach high school students on a cane either.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
shilo 57
(female)

shilo 57 HB User

Hi, I am in Trimble Mo. Just noticed you are from Smithville? I used to teach at Smithville HS as a sped teacher. I noticed in your post you are teaching. Are you still doing that along with the pain?

Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #12
RebeccaG
(female)

RebeccaG HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyb6 View Post
Hi to all of you,
I've come to this message board in hopes to hear stories of others who are going through this and wanted to get some opinions. If I can help you in any way by sharing my experience I'd love to do that also.
I'm 36 and have hip osteoarthritis. It's progressively gotten worse with next steps most likely being a the total hip replacement. I feel I'm too young to get this surgery, and honestly, scared as well. I've read many testimonials that it's been so helpful for those who went through with it, but am I too young? Should I work through the pain with supplements, stretching, and losing weight? I feel like I buckle down for a good length of time and then I lag, ultimately not really slowing down the progression.
Any advice or opinions would be great.
Thank you!
Stacey,

I just had RTHR at the age of 38 after about 9 years of pain, the last 5 years walking with a profound limp and a major lack of range of motion. For me, it all boiled down to my quality of life and the fact that I'd gained weight due to the hip problem. There is heart disease and cancer in my family history and I knew that if I didn't fix this hip so that I could work out and get fit, I might not be able to fight those diseases if they hit me down the road. I also had married for the first time in February 2006 and I couldn't do simple things such as walk through the mall or Wal-Mart with my husband without being in extreme pain.

I've had 2 major complications with my RTHR, foot drop and a staph infection, but I still don't regret the surgery. My hip feels great, I can stand tall once again and my range of motion is getting better and better each day. I have a ceramic-on-ceramic device and it's my understanding that it has a very high longevity rate. I chose it mainly because it is supposed to be safest if a woman gets pregnant, which we're hoping to do once I'm fully recovered.

I never seriously considered hip resurfacing simply because all of my research showed that it is a very difficult surgery for a surgeon to perform and quite frankly, I didn't feel as if there had been enough of them performed to provide accurate data. I wasn't willing to take the chance on it. I'd also read that fixing a surgery that didn't go well was extremely difficult and again, I wasn't willing to chance that.

My best advice for you is to talk with as many surgeons as you need to in order to feel comfortable making this decision for yourself. I wish that I'd gotten help with my hip problem earlier so that maybe I could've gotten more life out of my joint but all in all, I don't regret having it replaced.

I wish you well!!! Talk with professionals and take care!
Rebecca in Texas

Closed Thread