It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Sudden pain in hip feels like it is slipping???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
donna70
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Sudden pain in hip feels like it is slipping???

Hi,
I have RA and have had hip pain and bursitis and synovitis over the years. My left hip is getting a sudden pain enough that I cry out and then feels like it is slipping and sometimes cannot bear weight on it. My rheumy is not in today and this is happening about 10 more or less times a day, used to be every couple of months. Has anyone out there had this? Last year I had unrelenting pain in both hips and was put on Arava but could not stay on it and also given Lidocaine and pred injections. Just wondering if anyone else has this, it is embarrassing because I cannot tell it is coming on and keep from making a noise. Any input would be appreciated.
Donna70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
shilo 57
(female)

shilo 57 HB User
Re: Sudden pain in hip feels like it is slipping???

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
Hi,
I have RA and have had hip pain and bursitis and synovitis over the years. My left hip is getting a sudden pain enough that I cry out and then feels like it is slipping and sometimes cannot bear weight on it. My rheumy is not in today and this is happening about 10 more or less times a day, used to be every couple of months. Has anyone out there had this? Last year I had unrelenting pain in both hips and was put on Arava but could not stay on it and also given Lidocaine and pred injections. Just wondering if anyone else has this, it is embarrassing because I cannot tell it is coming on and keep from making a noise. Any input would be appreciated.
Donna70
Hi, i have had both hips replaced. My most recent is my left hip, with a metal on metal replacement done 11-31-07. I am two weeks now in recovery. I wonder if you have ever considered hip replacement. I have had so much pain, and now it is virtually gone. Maybe go see a orthopedic dr?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
donna70
(female)

Hi Shilo,
I appreciate your suggestion. My rheumy did get back to me and told me the same advice. I have an ortho appt but it is not till 12/6, hoping they will put me in sooner. The sharp shooting pains have stopped now I just have a lot of soreness and stiffness there. I had an Mri 2 years ago no erosions were seen just effusion and synovitis. did you have slipping and sharp pains before your hips were replaced? I have had RA for almost 20 years and don't have bad bone damage luckily just a lot of inflammation. thanks for your response!!
Donna70

Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
harleekrome
(female)

harleekrome HB User

Donna,
I went through the pain that you're describing for about 5 years. Went from the pain 1-2 times a week, progressing to a couple of times a day, then the last year almost hourly it seemed and i walked with a pronounced limp. My orthopod didn't want to replace because of my age (48) since the prosthetics only last 15-20 years at most. Finally replaced the hip in April of this year. Results have been amazing. Be forewarned, though equal leg length is probably not gonna happen...I have about 1/2 inch difference and have to wear a prosthetic in my non operated leg's shoe, as the new hip extended my leg to it's original length, and my old skeleton has shrunk over the years. But it has been so worth it. Only problem is a backache if I walk way too much because I can't get my leg length just right. Also, can't wear sandals or clogs because of the risers in my shoe...but NO MORE LIMP OR SLIPPAGE. Only occasional arthritis type pain which Alleve takes care of.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
donna70
(female)

Hi Harlee,
Thanks for your input, I am so hoping there is another solution for this. My neighbor just had a hip replaced and she had cardiac arrest twice in post op. So, never even considered that your leg might turn out different lengths. I have a hard time believing my hip could be worn out if no erosions were seen on the MRI 2 yrs ago, but anything is possible. I was on 10 mg of prednisone for about 2 yrs straight, so guess that could be the reason for bone loss. Hope you adjust to the different lengths, that is a good point, hadn't heard that discussed before. thanks again.
Donna70

Closed Thread