It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

rubyruby03 HB User
Seasonal Arthritis?

Has anyone heard the term "seasonal arthritis"? I came across this today, and it made me curious. I have arthritis-type symptoms in some of my fingers, but only when the weather is cold. My symptoms completely disappear in the summer. A rheumy told me about a year ago that he thought I have an early, mild osteoarthritis.

If anyone has heard of seasonal arthritis, do you know if it is a form of osteoarthritis?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Seasonal Arthritis?

I think it just means that many people with all different kinds of arthritis seem to have more pain with certain weather conditions, such as a low front coming in, some people are affected more by cold weather, some by humidity, rain, snow, etc... I know for myself my joints flare up when any storm comes (rain or snow) and I get alot of pain & stiffness when it's really humid. So I'm thinkin' I need to move to Arizona LOL. I have read about specific studies done on the affects of barometric pressure on people with arthritis, and there seems to be some correlation with more pain. So I dont think that seasonal arthritis is actually a form of arthritis, it just describes when someone may have flare ups of more pain. That can include OA, RA, Lupus arthritis, MS, AS, PA, and many other types of pain and arthritis can flare up with weather changes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Seasonal Arthritis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze View Post
I think it just means that many people with all different kinds of arthritis seem to have more pain with certain weather conditions, such as a low front coming in, some people are affected more by cold weather, some by humidity, rain, snow, etc... I know for myself my joints flare up when any storm comes (rain or snow) and I get alot of pain & stiffness when it's really humid. So I'm thinkin' I need to move to Arizona LOL. I have read about specific studies done on the affects of barometric pressure on people with arthritis, and there seems to be some correlation with more pain. So I dont think that seasonal arthritis is actually a form of arthritis, it just describes when someone may have flare ups of more pain. That can include OA, RA, Lupus arthritis, MS, AS, PA, and many other types of pain and arthritis can flare up with weather changes.
Hi Baybreeze,

I do agree that most arthritis suffers, suffer more during winter time, or when climate changes occur.. Seasonal arithrits is probably a coined name when seasons change, the person can feel more of their symtoms. I know this happens to me ALOT!! Winter is worse than any other season.

Vergie

Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

Venusrose HB User
Re: Seasonal Arthritis?

Well I can say this, im a weather vane lol

My hands, wrists, knees, shoulders hip & back tell me like the day b4 it rains & I notice the worse the pains the day b4 coincides with how much rain we get, so truth i stoped watching weather on tv i let my joints tell me , unless someone tells me a hurricane is out there then i watch to see if i need to evac or what

Closed Thread