It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

old hip injury--new problems HELP!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
mochi*
Veteran
(female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
Exclamation old hip injury--new problems HELP!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this--but I am having a strange, and concerniong problem and I need some input.:

I am posting it here because I think it might be related to a hip injury I had years ago; I broke and dislocated my right hip, and now my other one hurts all the time too, overcompensating, I guess.

Anyways, I was told years ago that i have what is called "post-traumatic arthritis," resulting from the break and dislocation. I should also note that I am only in my 20's and it'spretty unusaul to have that type of injury so young (idf that makes any difference.)

So, here is my new problem/worry:
For the past two weeks, I have been waking up with pretty strong numbness/tingling in my left foot/mostly big toe. It dissapates somewhat throught the day, but my left hip (the one I dodn't break) has also been hurting a lot. I am thibking this must be related--why else would my toe/foot be numb?
It gets betteer thought the day,. but is still dully there. I am worried about what is causign this--and if it is an indication of somthing more serious going on in my hip.
Any one have a similar experience/know what causes this or what I should do?

Thanks for reading this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
ellemae11
(female)

ellemae11 HB User
Re: old hip injury--new problems HELP!

It's hard to say as it could also be a lower back problem.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
rayefaye
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Have you had any MRI's or X-rays lately? It could be a slipped disc or a nerve related problem.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
mochi*
Veteran
(female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
Talking Re: old hip injury--new problems HELP!

No, I plan on going to the doc soon--but I don;t have the best health care plan and my doc. usually writes me off as being neurotic or exaggerating a symptom, so I avoid going at all costs (insult to injury--literally!-ha!)
I like to have an idea of what it might be before I go in, so I can advocate for myself and get the right tests or whatever done.
I used to have MRI's yearly, when I had better insurance, but I haven't had one in years...
I think it could be related to sciatica, which goes through the hip and can cause numbness in the toes...
Anyone else here with hip injures have any advice for me?
It is so frustrating.... Some days I get so down about it--I used to do cross-country, and now a long walk makes me sore....
Ok, sorry to whine--it;s just hard for me to find people my age that can relate to this at all....
Thanks for the advice and for listening--this website really means a lot to me!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
rayefaye
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Sorry to hear your doctor acts this way but I been there before too. I had a bad car accident when I was 19 and suffered from a broken arm, pelvis cracked in two different places up to my spinal cord. Also, the turn signal went through my left hand leaving a hole in the middle of it. I started having problems in my 20's and doctors treated me the same way. I even had an older co-worker tell me one time I didn't know what back problems were because I really didn't have a back. But with the hairline facture I suffered on both sides of my pelvis, I told her right quick like, I knew what it was all about. I asked her had she ever cracked her pelvis and then a few yrs later have a baby which was not easy. Even the doctor told me after X-rays that my pelvis was cracked up to my spinal cord and there was no way I would be able to have the baby without a C-section. But I did even though they had to take her out with forceps, I had her. So I told her to never tell me that again. Arthritis, nerve damage or slipped discs can happen to young people just as well as older people. BTW, I got off the subject, if possible would you be able to find another doctor who could help you. Everyone is entitled to a second opinion, that is if your insurance will allow it.

Last edited by rayefaye; 12-11-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Closed Thread