It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

MellyMell HB User
Grinding sound when I move neck

When I turn my head I can hear a grinding noise, could I have arthritis in my neck???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Grinding soundwhen I move neck

It could be possible or you may have some kind of disc problem. The best thing to do is have some X-rays or MRI's taken to find out. I do have grinding noises is my neck due to Degenerate Disc Disease, so please have it check out especially if gets really bothersome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
(male)

MAXNJ HB User

I was recently dx`ed with degenerative disc in my neck. I started noticing the sound and some pain only a month ago. Got it x rayed, and there is loss of joint space in the neck. I find that using the right pillows helps, but at any time during the day I could start to feel stiff, and some pain. I could live with this, but I guess it will get worse (Im 43) and Im wondering how fast.

Last edited by MAXNJ; 12-27-2007 at 02:39 AM.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hey Max,
It CAN worsten quickly. My rheumatolgist who I just started seeing said it is possible for it to get worst quickly. I didn't know that. the reason he told me this was because on my follow up visit with him upon trying a new medication which I thought was helping at first, I only was getting worst. the pain was spreading to other areas of my body and I was feeling physically worst. I asked him if this was possible at that point and his answer was "yes".
how frightening this is.
I too am in my forties. I'm 47 and am dx'd all of sudden out of the blue with degenerative joint disease in my spine, neck, and osteoporosis and now my ankles within two months are starting to get attacked and the joints in my fingers. I feel like it's getting worst quickly and don't know what to do to stop it's progression. I ache all over terribly and feel flu like.
did you get any other blood work performed or any type of xrays or MRI?
I'm seriously thinking of asking my dr to perform more testing because of the fact it's spreading all over now.
what tests have you had done?
sincerely,
Linda

Old 12-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
(male)

MAXNJ HB User

Hi Linda sorry to hear about your situation. I have felt sypmtoms in my kness, which they say are loose bodies, anearly arthritc change, and the ddd in my neck ,both were confirmed by x ray. Im suspicious of other sensations I get occasionally in my lower back and hips. Right now the last two might be paranoia!I havenet had them x rayed, now im not as in a rush any more to find out about other areas, since theres not too much you can do about it.
From what I know, the test that you should get now is a blood test for rhuemetoid arthritis. Mine came back negative hope yours does too. But it the cause sometimes for real quick onset esp in the feet area and fingers. Its all scary for me too, but one thing that might make you feel better, is that people wth OA and RA have periods that are pain free, or not that bad. I think most of the people that post on here are in crisis mode when they do so.
If 30 million people have arthritis, some cant be in such pain or disability.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Grinding sound when I move neck

It's possible or it could be nothing. The only way to find out is to have it checked. Is it just grinding or popping sounds? Or do you also have any kinds of pain along with it?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
(female)

maebelle HB User

I experienced this popping,grinding with my neck for years.When I would rotate my neck and head around it was a terrible sound.At that time I had some stiffness as well.
I was told by a well meaning DR that this was normal.Everybody has this at one time or another.
I am 47 now,andat 40 it was confirmed by x-ray and Mri that I have DDD and all kinds of disk herniations,narrowing,spurs etc...
Also my entire spine is involved and I have Anklosing spondylitis.

For years I went to my DR complaining of popping and severe back pain.It was always treated as pulled muscles.Which was a small portion of the big picture.
Insist on x-rays,cat scans,Mri and blood work.MB

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
(male)

MAXNJ HB User

Hi Im wondering what is it like for you now> Once the DDD got bad enough did u get any surgeries? Did meds or painkillers help out?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

maebelle HB User

Max, one neurosurgeon wanted to do a triple neck fusion.He said I would keep getting worse and although the surgery would help it would not prevent further deterioration.Another said there was only a 50/50 chance it would help.The 3rd one said "no" it would make it worse.
I decided the surgery was not worth the gamble at least for me.

I tried PT which made my pain worse.I took loratab for years.I tried many arthritis meds and found no relief.I will be starting enbrel in a few weeks.
I pray to GOD this will help.I also have fibromyalgia,sleep apnea etc...to name a few.
If surgery is advised get at least 3 opinions.But first get your dr to get xrays.
Then cat scans and possibly an MRI.Get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatoligist.After several drs over the yrs the Rhemy has been a godsend for me.
Keep us posted.MB

Closed Thread