It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Finding Out Knee And Neck Oa

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
MAXNJ
(male)

MAXNJ HB User
Exclamation Just Found Out - Knee And Neck OA

Hello from North Jersey. I`m here by my big xmas tree, something I love to put up every year. But its different for me now. On Oct 1, I went to an orthopedist at NYU medical center in Manhattan. He weas referred to me by my regular doctor. I kept feeling pops and clicks in my knees. This doctor spoke to me briefly, took a quick look at one of the x rays, and told me I have loose bodies. So I was so relieved that I didnt have anything more serious, like arthritis or something that would cripple me. The next day I realized that I didnt have enough questions prepared for the appt, so I called him and asked more about it. What causes loose bodies? He said "arthritis", almost treating it as an afterthought. Im 43. Always been pretty healthy except for about 40 extrs lbs on my 6`3 frame. No injuries. He said a few more things on the phone like, theres a micro surguery that you can get,but it wil only address a symptom, not the problem.

As I began to live with this, and start doing some exercises for it, other things began to hurt. My neck. My wrists. Was I imagining all of it?

I found a doctor who was more patient friendly, and he reviewed the x rays from NYU. He explained that theres good cartilage there in my kness, some loose bodies and a bone spur. Really not too bad. My neck is showing some loss of joint space. The facts are that I have "some" arthritis in my kness and my neck. By then I was a ****** expert on all of this. Each day I grapple more with going from being a healthy,able guy to one who has symptoms, and maybe big time pain and disability down the line.

And now the kicker, after I digest all of this news since Oct 1, here it is not even Christmas and my knee is way worse where I feel like its always about to give out or buckle.****! What happed n to stretching out the symptoms, and a gradual course of arthritis? I know that arthroscopic surgery is not a cure for knee arthritis, but Im hoping that one of the loose bodies has floated closer to the joint, and can be removed so that the catching will stop. Im going to see about that first thing in 2008. Im now full of small symptoms, not real pain, but plenty of anxiety, and cant walk too far without considering every step.

That sucks. I thought it would be good for me to hook into a site like this instead of endless googling. I want to hear from people who have arthritis tha only shows up now and again, and that they go about thier lives without constant pain and needing surgery. That would help me feel better!

Max

Max

Last edited by MAXNJ; 12-26-2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
MAXNJ
(male)

MAXNJ HB User
Re: Finding Out Knee And Neck Oa

Well I Guess Ill Just Reply To My Own Post! 4 Days After I Started Having Trouble Walking, The Problem Relented. Now My Walking Is The Way It Was, Fine But Some Pops And Clicks Here And There. Im Going Swimming Almost Daily, Some Weights Too. Its Just Different To Know That Theres Things Going On In My Knees, Neck, And Sometimes The Lower Back And Hips Too. At Least The Depression Of Having To Accept All Of This Is Lessening As I Get Used To The Idea.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
AliusNeo08
(male)

AliusNeo08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXNJ View Post
Well I Guess Ill Just Reply To My Own Post! 4 Days After I Started Having Trouble Walking, The Problem Relented. Now My Walking Is The Way It Was, Fine But Some Pops And Clicks Here And There. Im Going Swimming Almost Daily, Some Weights Too. Its Just Different To Know That Theres Things Going On In My Knees, Neck, And Sometimes The Lower Back And Hips Too. At Least The Depression Of Having To Accept All Of This Is Lessening As I Get Used To The Idea.
Dear Messenger, you know osteoarthritis causes alot of problems especially in my knees. I've had two surgeries and looking at 2 more and still my problems can't by fixed and because of this i can't walk a good distance nor run or jump! I can't work like i'm supposed to or anything and the wife sure is not going well with it. So, i go to my doc's when i need to, although i have to pay for everything. Popping and clicking is only the beginning, pretty soon it'll be popping to a point to where you actually hit the ground, doctor's tell me that this sound and pain feeling you have is called a "Torn Meniscus", a piece of tissue that is stuck between your joints popping in and out of place when pressure is applied. Well my hips are also the same way but I haven't had anything done to them at all just to accept the depression that it won't go away. So, if you think your alone think again, my advice see an orthapedic a.s.a.p.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
AliusNeo08
(male)

AliusNeo08 HB User
Re: Just Found Out - Knee And Neck OA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXNJ View Post
Hello from North Jersey. I`m here by my big xmas tree, something I love to put up every year. But its different for me now. On Oct 1, I went to an orthopedist at NYU medical center in Manhattan. He weas referred to me by my regular doctor. I kept feeling pops and clicks in my knees. This doctor spoke to me briefly, took a quick look at one of the x rays, and told me I have loose bodies. So I was so relieved that I didnt have anything more serious, like arthritis or something that would cripple me. The next day I realized that I didnt have enough questions prepared for the appt, so I called him and asked more about it. What causes loose bodies? He said "arthritis", almost treating it as an afterthought. Im 43. Always been pretty healthy except for about 40 extrs lbs on my 6`3 frame. No injuries. He said a few more things on the phone like, theres a micro surguery that you can get,but it wil only address a symptom, not the problem.

As I began to live with this, and start doing some exercises for it, other things began to hurt. My neck. My wrists. Was I imagining all of it?

I found a doctor who was more patient friendly, and he reviewed the x rays from NYU. He explained that theres good cartilage there in my kness, some loose bodies and a bone spur. Really not too bad. My neck is showing some loss of joint space. The facts are that I have "some" arthritis in my kness and my neck. By then I was a ****** expert on all of this. Each day I grapple more with going from being a healthy,able guy to one who has symptoms, and maybe big time pain and disability down the line.

And now the kicker, after I digest all of this news since Oct 1, here it is not even Christmas and my knee is way worse where I feel like its always about to give out or buckle.****! What happed n to stretching out the symptoms, and a gradual course of arthritis? I know that arthroscopic surgery is not a cure for knee arthritis, but Im hoping that one of the loose bodies has floated closer to the joint, and can be removed so that the catching will stop. Im going to see about that first thing in 2008. Im now full of small symptoms, not real pain, but plenty of anxiety, and cant walk too far without considering every step.

That sucks. I thought it would be good for me to hook into a site like this instead of endless googling. I want to hear from people who have arthritis tha only shows up now and again, and that they go about thier lives without constant pain and needing surgery. That would help me feel better!

Max

Max
That's true Max, but still the same problems exist and will continue to exist, your physician told you the same thing as mine did but, i'm only 27 and he tells me that surgery will fix it but, my knees and hips will remain as the same of an 80 year old man, and nothing will change, he says a knee replacement will fix the problem only for 5 to 10 years and he said luckily you'll need another one before that time...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Rita27
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Hi Max,

Well you have some company because I have all the same stuff. I have arthritis in my cervical spine (neck) from C2 to C7, with 3 herniated discs. I have severe pain in my right knee and moderate pain in my left. I was told it is arthritis and something called ITB tendonitis. My hips and lower back hurt too. I have arthritis in all my fingers and carpal tunnel on both hands. I just had surgery on my right hand, going to PT now for it, then I have to get the left done. It's not fun.

In addition, I have High blood pressure and high cholesterol, for which I have to take medication, and I'm overweight. Because of the hbp I can't take anti-inflammatories for my arthritis, so I have to just take Tylenol, which doesn't do much at all.

So don't feel you're alone. All we can do is keep plugging on. I know how you feel because now I can't walk or stand for any length of time. I can't do any exercises standing up, so I switched to swimming and bike to try to lose weight. It's very hard.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
MAXNJ
(male)

MAXNJ HB User

Hi Rita I think swimming and biking are great. I recently kicked up my exercise program, and although its probably a co- incidence, things are much better. Im back to only feeling a slight knee or neck symptom here and there. My wrists also get that feeling too. It was all hard to adjust to, but I feel a great relief now that it seems like there will be good periods. Maybe even when something starts to hurt again I wont get that "its all over" feeling.
A friend told me that when you have arthrits, its there, but other things get thrown off too that have to do with muscle alignment. Thats the kind of thing that the exercise will help, along with flexibility and stregnth. So keep with the swimming. I also read that if the neck becomes a problem with swimming, get a mask and snorkel so you dont have to turn your head so much! by the way did u get MRIs done on all those areas> How old are you? Im 43 , had only x rays done. I guess Im trying to spread out al of the bad news!But the good newsi s that I think the exercise will help.

Max

Last edited by MAXNJ; 01-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi Max, I know how tough it is to have arthritis as I have it in several joints, including my spine. I've already had surgery in my lumbar spine, not sure if I have anything similiar going on in my cervical spine, but i've had short bouts of symptoms in there as well, though I never went to a doc specifically for my neck. Well actually I've mentioned it to my rheumy, who just seems to give me tons of lidocaine shots everywhere, which doesnt do anything. But anyway...Don't let yourself get too down about it just yet. Arthritis symptoms many times can wax & wane. Yes there are periods that can be very painful & disrupting to your life....but sometimes you can have periods where you feel pretty good. Of course it all depends on the severity and type of arthritis one has and also if one can find a medication (anti inflammatory) that helps when one is flaring up. Unfortunately so many people have to deal w/ arthritis, even children can get different types of arthritis, which is really a shame. THough children seem to be much better troopers than us adults.

I personally started getting some joint problems in my early 20's (which might be possible lupus) and flares come & go. I've had times where I felt normal & could go back to the gym, etc. Then I have times where I can hardly move & really cant do much of anything. Over the years I've just accepted it & learned to deal with it. Most people get down & depressed at first, then they get angry, then eventually they learn to deal with it somehow. It's very similar to what one goes through when they lose some one close. With pain & loss of mobility, it's like one actually mourns the loss of a part of one's self.

I've had hard times dealing with my issues. I never had any spine problems until 2003, suddenly i was getting back pain on & off. A yr later in Dec. 04 I finally had an X-Ray done, which didnt show much except for mild scoliosis & some mild degenerative changes in my lumbar spine. Nothing remarkable. Well my pain only got progressivley worse and I finally had an MRI done in Feb '06. I had so much pain I was nauseus & vomiting, was having trouble walking, etc. I found out I had severe central canal spinal stenosis in 2 levels, and mild to moderate in my other lumbar levels, several disc herniations, one tear, and buckling of a spine ligament into my spinal canal. So....not to scare you or anything, but if your pain does continue or gradually gets worse over some more time, you should try to have an MRI done. X-Rays can pretty much only see bone, breaks, fractures, etc. They cant see the soft tissues, muscles, discs, etc. My x-ray didnt show much and for that matter, I had horrible problems w/ an ankle & that x-ray said it was normal! Turned out my ankle looks like I jumped off a buidling after getting an MRI on that too.

Ok my post is getting a bit long-winded here, so I would say keep up with the exercise (though you might want to see a physcial therapist who can show you the best kinds of strengthening exercises to do). I do know swimmiing is one of the best b/c you have almost no stress on any joints while doing it. Some people swear by glucosamine-chondroitin for mild OA. I've tried taking it for along time, but didnt notice any difference, but everyones different. You might also want to try some moist heating pads over painful areas. Or try those stick on heat patches.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
roses4evver
(female)

roses4evver HB User

Hi Max & welcome,

I havn't been around in awhile, about 3-4 wks. The Holidays have been real hard to deal with this year. I'm 46 & I lost my husband 1 year ago Dec 31 suddenly to pancreatic Cancer. Anyway.....
Arthritis (Osteo & Rheumatoid) is my middle name...LOL, & have been for many years. I just had a TKR (due to Osteo) on my left knee 6 months ago & have to do about another month of PT because a buildup of more scar tissue.

Your pretty new to the whole game of this arthritis thing but you sure seem to have caught on quick. The most important thing is to keep moving with excersize when you can, as you have already figured out, for as long as you can. You will always have good days & bad days, so keep your chin up on the bad days. Don't be afraid to take something for your pain that is prescribed by your Dr if needed. Educate yourself about your arthritis because it is a progressive disease that doesn't dissapear & has the potential of always getting worse at some point. These are things I had wished my Dr's had been open & honest with me about 15 yrs ago so I could have planned & saved. It's all water under the bridge now. Besides knowledge, the second best thing to have is a good frame of mind. Which by reading your last post you are in the right direction with that.

Good Luck

Roses

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Closed Thread