It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

arthritis doctor will not refer me to reumatologist

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
lisajeremy123
(male)

lisajeremy123 HB User
Angry arthritis doctor will not refer me to reumatologist

i have been suffering with sever pain for about 12 months i am 28 when i first went to see her i had stiff fingers and back she said i could not have arthritis as i was not old enough she just said i had to lose some wait as it was affecting my back now i cant shut 3 of my fingers my back is that bad some times i cant get up my neck wont turn i have trouble getting up and down the stairs i saw a doctor last week in ireland he said without a doubt it was ra and i needed to sea a rheumatologist my doctor is now refusing to refer me does any one now what i should do thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
ellemae11
(female)

ellemae11 HB User
Re: arthritis doctor will not refer me to reumatologist

Do you have to be referred? I made my own appointment with my rheumatologist.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
aether4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Not old enough, that's ridiculous and proves how much that "doctor" is worth. I know the healthcare system works a little differently there, but is there any way at all you can threaten to go over this doctor's head - to a local health board or something? and report that you are not being treated and are in severe pain because of it.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
lisajeremy123
(male)

lisajeremy123 HB User

i have contacted the reumatologist and i do have to be referd i have tried to go privet and i still have to be referd

Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Picoroja
(female)

Picoroja HB User

My daughter was diagnosed with juvenile rhematoid arthritis when she was just 3 or 4 years old. She is your age now and still has it. Something is wrong with your doctor because juvenile rhematoid (a different animal from the type adults normally get) as well as regular rhematoid arthritis can both strike children.

See if you can get into a different primary physcian who is more knowledgeable and will refer you. If you have trouble, talk to the nurse and tell her your symptoms and what the other doctor said. Mention that you know that RA has nothing to do with arthritis brought on by old age, so you don't understand why the other doctor would not refer you.

Good luck. Let us know what happens. We are looking at nationalized health care in the US, but these are the kinds of problems we are afraid of (and don't get publicized). Here, you can make your own appt. with a rheumatologist, you just have to wait longer unless your symptoms are severe.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Picoroja
(female)

Picoroja HB User

Another thought: if you cannot get into another doctor because you are assigned only to this one (how does it work with nationalized medicine in the UK?), perhaps you could take the report of the doctor who saw you in Ireland. With a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis in your hand you have ammunition to complain to the health board or whoever decides whether your doctor is competent. At the very least they should offer you the option of getting a second opinion. Surely there is a way to complain and/or an appeal process of some kind?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
lisajeremy123
(male)

lisajeremy123 HB User

h have booked in to another gp i will be going to see them tomorow i will update tomorow

Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
blues310
(female)

blues310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajeremy123 View Post
i have been suffering with sever pain for about 12 months i am 28 when i first went to see her i had stiff fingers and back she said i could not have arthritis as i was not old enough she just said i had to lose some wait as it was affecting my back now i cant shut 3 of my fingers my back is that bad some times i cant get up my neck wont turn i have trouble getting up and down the stairs i saw a doctor last week in ireland he said without a doubt it was ra and i needed to sea a rheumatologist my doctor is now refusing to refer me does any one now what i should do thanks
If you are in any HMO there is a patient adovacate,see them as RA gets much worse without treatment. Dont give up,Hang in there and maybe change Doctors!!

Closed Thread