It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

marie221 HB User
Unhappy Can someone help me out?

On my left hand, my pinky finger and my ring finger has been numb and tingly and also my arm and part of the left side of my hand(near my pinky finger) has some tingling in it for about 2 days.
Does anyone know what this might be?
Thanks,
Marie

Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Can someone help me out?

How long has this been going on Marie?
do you work at the computer for many hours or do you have a dx of arthritis?

gosh, it can be a few things I guess, but the best way of knowing is to see a dr. if it doesn't go away and it's really bothering you.

i have arthritis and other things going on in my body and I too get numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands and arms at night in bed. it's horrible. it's as if I had a stroke at times. does your numbness happen at certain times of the day? or when you're laying down or sitting up?

I hope others join in with some ideas for you. as you see I haven't been able to really give you any definitive answers.

I hope you get some help and hope it doesn't get worst for you.

sincerely,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
(female)

dutson1 HB User

Hiya
I too get this in my hands although I have plastic joints in all fingers and pins - but had more tests done and found out the tingling/numbness is due to carpel tunnel as well - which is gonna be operated soon. It feels worse in the morning sometimes but not sure if i have slept funny. Mite be worth getting ur doc to check carpel tunnel out. Unfortunately my nerves have been slightly damaged in past ops which doesn't help - so mite be worth asking ur doc that too.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck hun.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

If I remember correctly, carpal tunnel typically affects thumb to index finger - not the pinky finger.

Since there is some arm numbness/tingling too you may want to have your neck checked. A pinched nerve in your neck can manifest itself all the way down into your hands.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

It could be your ulnar nerve being compressed. numerous things can effect it and cause the numbness in your pinky finger and ring finger to get numb.
It's called " cubital tunnel syndrome". not the same as carpal tunnel syndrome.

What is the cubital tunnel?
The ulnar nerve actually starts at the side of the neck, where the individual nerve roots leave the spine. The nerve roots exit through small openings between the vertebrae. These openings are called foramen.

The nerve roots join together to form three main nerves that travel down the arm to the hand. One of these nerves is the ulnar nerve.

The ulnar nerve passes through the cubital tunnel just behind the inside edge of the elbow. The tunnel is formed by muscle, ligament, and bone. You may be able to feel it if you straighten your arm out and rub the groove on the inside edge of your elbow.

The ulnar nerve passes through the cubital tunnel and winds its way down the forearm and into the hand. It supplies feeling to the little finger and half the ring finger and controls the small muscles of the hand.

Cubital tunnel syndrome has several possible causes. Part of the problem may lie in the way the elbow works. The ulnar nerve actually stretches several millimeters when the elbow is bent. Sometimes the nerve will shift or even snap over the bony medial epicondyle. (The medial epicondyle is the bony point on the inside edge of the elbow.) Over time, this can cause irritation.

One common cause of problems is frequent bending of the elbow--pulling levers, reaching, or lifting. Constant direct pressure on the elbow over time may also lead to cubital tunnel syndrome. The nerve can be irritated from leaning on the elbow while you sit at a desk or from using the elbow rest during a long drive or while running machinery. The ulnar nerve can also be damaged from a blow to the cubital tunnel.

Symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome can feel like numbness on the inside of the hand and in the ring and little fingers. this is an early sign of cubital tunnel syndrome. The numbness may develop into pain. The numbness is often felt when the elbows are bent for long periods, such as when talking on the phone or while sleeping. The hand and thumb may also become clumsy as the muscles become affected.

Tapping or bumping the nerve in the cubital tunnel will cause an electric shock sensation down to the little finger. This is called Tinel's sign.

Doctors will need to tell whether your problem is from golfer's elbow or cubital tunnel syndrome. The main difference is that cubital tunnel syndrome causes symptoms of numbness in the ring and pinky fingers, not just pain in the forearm.

Your doctor will then do a physical exam. The cubital tunnel is only one of several spots where the ulnar nerve may be getting pinched. Your doctor will try to find the exact spot that is causing your symptoms. The prodding may hurt, but it is very important to pinpoint the area that is causing you trouble.

You may need to do special tests to get more information about the nerve. One common test is the nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test. The NCV test measures the speed of the impulses traveling along the nerve. Impulses are slowed when the nerve is compressed or constricted.

Hope this is of some help.

Closed Thread