It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

lchrissy HB User
i've just found out i have osteoarthritis

does anyone else have this, its so painfull some days i can barely walk

ive been living on Voltaren these past months, i think my bodys getting use to it now, does anyone have any other pain relief ideas ~ thanks in advance

Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Re: i've just found out i have osteoarthritis

Hi,

I am no expert on osteoarth as I have psoriatic arthritis, but a family friend has severe osteo in both knees and he takes diclofenac for pain relief. If you ask your gp, it may help you.

Ronnie

Last edited by Ronnied; 02-01-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

How did you get Dx with osteo? Did you see a rheumy? What were the symptoms? Did he do the RA factor blood work? What was the level if elevated? I am curious since I go to a rheumy thurs. Thanks. kw

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have had osteoarthritis for about 40 yrs. now. plus degenerative spine, joint disease, and fibromyalgia. i have had 2 knees and a hip replaced.
i have what i call good pain days, bad pain days, and can't stand it no more flareup days. i only take my pain meds on a really bad pain day, or a flare-up day. if you are taking a pain med daily, then sooner or later it will stop working for you.
heat is also good for arthritis, i have a giant size heat blanket that i can wrap up in! you should call your doc for a different pain med, use heat, make yourself do some stretching exercises even though it will hurt. you don't want your body to not tolerate anything whatsoever, therefore any type of easy excercise, keeps you mobil.

wishing you all the best.......bevann

Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: i've just found out i have osteoarthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
i have had osteoarthritis for about 40 yrs. now. plus degenerative spine, joint disease, and fibromyalgia. i have had 2 knees and a hip replaced.
i have what i call good pain days, bad pain days, and can't stand it no more flareup days. i only take my pain meds on a really bad pain day, or a flare-up day. if you are taking a pain med daily, then sooner or later it will stop working for you.
heat is also good for arthritis, i have a giant size heat blanket that i can wrap up in! you should call your doc for a different pain med, use heat, make yourself do some stretching exercises even though it will hurt. you don't want your body to not tolerate anything whatsoever, therefore any type of easy excercise, keeps you mobil.

wishing you all the best.......bevann
Hi Bevann
Hope you are having a good pain day. How are your knees doing now since your knee replacements surgery? Take care.

Nadine

Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

HI...
I have been told for several years that I have arthritis in my hips and knees. I have been having a lot of problems with my left knee lately, and I saw an ortho doc....through a series of injections and and MRI, he has found that I have osteoarthritis in my knee...the injections have helped, now after 5...
I am on several meds now, I have Fibromyalgia and a Collagen disorder, among other things...My pcp told me that I have bursitis in my whole shoulder girdle, and boy can I tell when it flares up. I have posted on several boards for several things, but maybe someone on here can give me some insight on what my next step would be. I have not been referred to a Rhuemy...I'm sure that would be recommended, my pcp is treating me for all the "stuff". Are there any supplements that would be helpful? I do know that before I got my insurance I was using several herbal supplements, but I look back now and don't really think they helped. I have heard Glucosamine-Chondroitine is good...would that be an option? I have mentioned trying things like that to my doc because he says I am immuno-suppressed..he didn't want me taking anything to boost my immune system. I feel like a have a lot on my plate so to speak and any feedback would be awesome...
tiff-cher

Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: i've just found out i have osteoarthritis

Hi Cher

I was diagnosed about nine years ago with fibro and osteoarthritis. My pain is in all my joints but mainly my shoulders,knees and right ankle. I take Cellebrex every morning and evening for arthritis pain and it helps inflamation. I also take Percocet for my right ankle pain from a fusion several years ago. I don't take Glucosamine but I know others that do and they say that it helps. It's important to find a good Rhuemy. I hope you'll stay in touch and feel free to vent or whatever. Take care
Nadine

Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Ichrissy,

How did you find out you had osteo? I can barely walk some days too. Do you mind telling me what process you went through to get diagnosed? Thank you so much.

Kass

Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Thank you...I take Celebrex 200mg 2 x daily among other things....uuuggghhh today is a BAD day for me all over!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Kass, I was dx with all over osteo with a bone scan. Hope this answers your question!
Mim Gregg

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Hi, I have osteo also really bad in my hips. i take voltaren also but it really isn't doing the job it once did. I have tried others but honestly I get sick when I take most things so I bite the bullet.
I use heat a lot and I sleep on an aero raised bed because it feels so much better on my bones then my bed.
I have an appt finally on the 13th so I am excited about this. I got disability and they took my insurance away so it has been a nightmare with the pain. Now I am not sure what they will cover or not but the pain is just impossible anymore. Good days and bad days.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi ....i have danced all of my life and i am 63 and still taking
jazz classes twice a week. I have osteoarthritis and my fingers are twisted and have large ugly nodes on the joints...
painful yes and ugly....but not cancer. I had to have my right hip resurfaced since i was bone on bone and had no hip joint
left. That was two years ago and i can now dance again. I have arthritis in my feet and toes and spine. diagnosed by
a CAT scan and just looking at the bone structure...you can
not miss a dancers ugly worn out feet....smile...I do not take
pain meds since they really do not help in the long run. I stretch and dance jazz...i try to move and keep active and i
weigh very little....i use acupuncture treatments for pain and
when i really hurt all over....i will take Motrin. That seems
to do the trick...Make sure you eat correctly and keep your
weight down and exercise and stretch so you continue what
you have well lubricated. Doing nothing is the worst
thing you could possibley do and many times pain med just add to your problems....Karen

Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Karen,
I am just amazed at your story and having your hip resurfaced and able to dance again. Would you start a new thread talking about this resurfacing so we don't take away from this thread? Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

I have osteoarthritis in both hips and spine. Standing for any length of time is very painful and so is walking. I had pain for years in the left hip and took many x-rays of it. There is a large bone cyst which goes along with osteoarthritis. I finally did a work up with more recent hip x-rays/CT/MRI and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I have a wonderful Rheumy and have had blood tests to make sure it is not rheum. arth.
Heat does help a lot. I have pain pills, nabumetone but it causes me bruising so i use it only when I can't take the pain any more. I also take glucosamine/chondrotin, and large doses of Vit C.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

SusanG50 HB User
Smile Re: i've just found out i have osteoarthritis

Please don't forget FISH OIL (Omega-3), it's now tauted as the best natural antiflammatory in the world. It has done WONDERS for me and my mood....also helps to lower chloresterol. Hope this helps some.

I take many supplements..........calcium, magnesium, msm, fibro care, fish oil, panthenic acid, folic acid, ALA, Traumeel (homepathic -could live without it), zinc, vit. D, E and A.........and the list goes on. I have found more help in supplements than anything, though I do take my meds when needed.........for sure.

FISH OIL..............if you do just one thing.............take FISH OIL.

Closed Thread