It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Hip bursitis?

Hey Arthritis suffers,i am wondering as i have been told i may have this, can this be detected with having a pelvic MRI done? Because i don't what my Rheumatologist(not that i don't trust him) sticking me in the hip without proof honestly. I am hoping he would at least do an exray!
Love, Monkey

Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User
Re: Hip bursitis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
Hey Arthritis suffers,i am wondering as i have been told i may have this, can this be detected with having a pelvic MRI done? Because i don't what my Rheumatologist(not that i don't trust him) sticking me in the hip without proof honestly. I am hoping he would at least do an exray!
Love, Monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

I have had bursitis several times in my hips and shoulders. My rheumatologist could tell by exam that that was the problem. They could also do an ultrasound to confirm it. I have had several cortisone shots which helped tremendously. An MRI might be helpful if you are having other problems to rule out a back or spinal problem.

Last edited by Ilovetocruise; 02-03-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

So, are you telling me that this will only rule out female stuff, cause i have already have that done by a Gynacologist? This stuff is making me so mad because it makes no sense and the Dr. should already have it is file that i have had this. I know nobody has the answers but i thought i would get somewhere with all this and yet again i am hitting road blocks and it's not fun! And what gets me is that i'm not so sure that when the Orthapedic Dr. told me the lump i have on my tailbone is probably from a previous injury but didn't think it could be the source of pain really gets me,how does he know for sure because hes a dr.? it seems like da they would be investigating it further in my opinion. Sorry to vent. I forgot to add that i started with low back pain and hip pain before hand and even the rhemy said if it was hip burstits then it is limited to the hip area not the SI joint or anything ugh.
Love,Monkey

Last edited by monkey5; 02-03-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: information

Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

I found this saying and wondering if you can have low back pain SI pain with hip bursitis?
As with any medical condition, other problems that can cause similar symptoms should be considered. Hip bursitis is usually a clear diagnosis, and the symptoms can be distinguished from other conditions. However, some cases of hip bursitis can be confused with other medical conditions. These include: Low back pain ect. So this means that it could cause low back pain? This all confuses me but am hopeful that if i do get an injection the pain will subside in the low back and hip,although i have whole leg pain weakness numbness but they think i have bursitis or something of the knee maybe causing this does this make sense at all ugh?
Love,Monkey

Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

I meant that they can do an ultrasound of your hip, and see the bursitis in there to confirm the diagnosis.
Often, it is hard to distinguish lower back pain and hip pain. When I had my hip bursitis, I thought it was my lower back at first. My doctor was correct when he examined me and felt it was bursitis. He gave me an injection, which helped 50%. 3 weeks later I got another injection and it completely resolved.

Last edited by Ilovetocruise; 02-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

ilovetocruis, that is actually good information as he said the pain would only be localized to the hip area hmm,i will be frustuarted if all this time it has been my hip but the only other thing is he did say the he didnt think it would cause the leg weakness ect. who knows! But that shot would maybe put everything right agian maybe, that would be so awesome. Maybe i will search and see if hip pain can cause leg pain ect.! I wouldn't have even got into this dr.if it wasn't for advocating for myself ugh! I am glad to see you have gotten relief!
Take care, Monkey

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User

Hi,
I just went to my rheumy yesterday and told her of my difficulty walking, I have had episodes of being in severe pain and not being able to lift my leg so she asked me where the pain was and it was outside right on the hip joint. She then pressed on it and it hurt a lot and gave me a lidocaine/prednisone injection right in the bursa. It feels great today and I was told to come back if the other hip bothers me. I know what you mean by lower back pain confusing the issue, I have sciatica and a cutting pain in my lower back, she told me that since I get it on exertion with mopping and vacuuming she felt it was mechanical and I will be wearing a back brace when doing these actions. I have RA for almost 20 years so it is very normal for me at least to get synovitis and bursitis in my joints. I was given an MRI for severe hip pain and that is when they found out I had severe effusion (swelling) and synovitis in the hip. It also matters where the pain is, groin hip pain is something different from outside on the hip joint pain. Hope this helps not an expert just a sufferer! take care,
Donna70

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SusanG50 HB User
Smile Re: Hip bursitis?

I have SI JOINT DYSFUNCTION. It refers to the HIP, GROIN, Sciatica and inside the leg (inguinal nerve). Most of the pain is in my HIP so we looked at my hip first. One doc wanted to do surgery hoping to find a hernia because I was hurting in my groin area. NOT........it is all from the SI Joint. My back actually hurts the least.

Sleeping is a nightmare for both the Inguinal and Sciatic nerve are involved and lying on left side hurts and right side hurts.

This has been a miserable thing to DIAGNOSE. WEnt to GYN also. Can't believe I almost had EXPLORATORY SURGERY for a MAYBE HERNIA and it's SI Joint all the time.

The Groin pain of it can be most miserable. So many of these illnesses have the same or similar symptoms unfortuneately.

I'm much better since taking fish oil twice a day (1,000 mg), but not healed by any stretch. Can do exercises now however, so that should help a lot.

Blessings and Health, Susan

Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Susan, that is also useful info in my search to find answers! Yes,my back hurts way less that my leg SI joint but it started with my hip and leg and in the very beggining they did a hip exray and notta nothing,so i'm stumped but not giving up! I know the dr.s dont;t have all the answers so i am trying to be patient! The exray was almost a year ago though when i was having severe pain and maybe the exray didn't pick it up as we all know these can miss important details. In my case i don't have hardly any groin pain so that different. Keep in touch please and i will keep posting on what i find out !
Melissa

Closed Thread