It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Possible AS, possible pinched nerve, total confusion

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Adamhi
(male)

Adamhi HB User
Possible AS, possible pinched nerve, total confusion

I was so glad to find this board and discover there are many out there positively coping with similar circumstances as mine and offering each other good feedback I really could use some ideas, recommendations, support as I'm getting very stressed out over my new 2 month old health problem which my rheumatalogist isn't sure what it is. I'm a 40 year old fit and active (except for the last 2 months) male with a job in marketing who just got married this summer. 2 months ago literally over night I got bad lower back pains on my left side, needed to pee frequently and had body aches from shoulders down to thighs. Went to a urologist who prescribed 7 days of antibiotics which knocked my symptoms down by 90% (all tests came back negative??). A week later the symptoms came back so was represcribed 21 days of antibiotics. Well the urinary tract infection symptoms diminished by 85% towards the end of the antibiotics but I developed horrible hip and sharp lower back pain (different from the UTI back pain) that made it hard to walk and sit. Went to a rheumatologist who did blood work that didn't point to anything obvious and put me on celebrex and did x-rays which showed mild OA in hips and sacroiliac joint. But I have very little stiffness in my knees and no other stiffness in my back or hips. Then as hip pain and back pain diminished slightly over the next couple weeks, I developed heel and buttocks pain where the joints meet the floor/chair. This too has diminished only slightly. So 2 months ago I could have popped on roller blades and sprinted down the lakeshore path and now I couldn't jog across the street to save my life and am in daily pain. My doctor has suggested it could be a pinched nerve but on the other hand says it's unusual for a fit 40 year old to have hip OA. I just learned my father had slight AS in the lower back, but I was never aware of it (he passed away at 82yrsold). I am going to physical therapy but again have only been having small improvements...with a big set back since I got back into town yesterday after a business trip...ugh! I'd really appreciate if anyone has any ideas of what I have or definitely don't have such as AS, fibromaglia, sacriolitis, pinched nerve, or how to better work with my doctor or should I get a new doctor, what about getting an MRI?? Thank you very much

Last edited by Adamhi; 02-02-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
rayefaye
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Possible AS, possible pinched nerve, total confusion

Hi Adam, when you have a pinched nerve, you will get real sharp pains everything you move the area that has the pinched nerve. For instance, I have a pinched nerve in my neck and when I turn it a certain way I can tell it. You may be suffering from what is called sciatric nerve pain, I think that is the correct spelling. Maybe you should check with a neurologist if you don't get no answers from the rhuemy doctor.

Last edited by rayefaye; 02-03-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Adamhi
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Thanks for the feedback rayefaye, I'll ask my rhuemy about a possible pinched sciatic nerve and whether I should see a neurologist too. I hope your pinched nerve gets better...how did you diagnose the pinched nerve...with an MRI? How are you treating it? Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
rayefaye
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Basically by the systoms, it possible that is could show up on a MRI. The are also other tests that a neurologist does like EMG's which checks the nerve activity in the muscles. Also there are nerve conduction tests that checks the nerve. I take Neurontin for the nerve pain which works for me. There are also alot of different type of nerve medications on the market. I hope you soon find an answer. But try to see if you have more pain when you move it a certain way that is one way to tell. Another way to tell is if you get like a tingling or numbing feeling that how a pinch nerve feels sometimes. For instance if you're in a certain postion for awhile and then it kind of goes away if you move around.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Adamhi
(male)

Adamhi HB User

That helps a lot...it seems as though I may have a pinched nerve in my lower back that I try and protect a lot but can be very sharp if I flex it too hard...it then sends tingling sensations down throughout the pelvis/leg area. And then I have pain on the boney part of the buttocks, heels/bottoms of my feet and hips which I think is all nerve related pain and possible stimulated from my lower back pain...not sure of anything though, but thanks again

Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
rayefaye
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

I'm glad to help and I hope you schedule yourself an appt. with the neurologist if the rhuemy doctor can't figure it out. I wish you Good Luck

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
irenevsqz5
(female)

irenevsqz5 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Possible AS, possible pinched nerve, total confusion

I also get this pain that goes to my back and down to my buttocks.It gets really tight and can't move my leg and back.it hurts really bad.I am only 33 and have to kids i would like to play with them but can't.then i get this pain in my ankle it hurts,don't know what is going on there.I have arthritis on my wrist and hands.I also have it on my back.I just get these bad back spams

Old 03-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
mb52
(male)

mb52 HB User

Adam hi.

Check out prolotherapy, and try doing it if you know the site of your OA. check out yoga, and please do it. check out active isolated stretching, and please do it (under guidance!).

i have bad OA in my hips, a dicey disc around L% that triggers sciatica that coupled with the hip osteo can really hobble me in bad times. And then when times are good, I am fine for several sets of teeni, golf etc. i stopped playing ultimate frisbee and basketball at 50 when the pain at night from what i thought was a miniscu problem in my knee conveyed that I had hips ready to be cut (according to the orthopedic surgeon). i have found that yoga, AIS, and prolotherapy, along with icing and heat, can, if couled to daily exercise, keep the pain levels very managable. this however is work - no getting around it. but i figure so long as pain is under level 4, and in the 2-3 range in bad times and 0 for as much of the itme as possible, I will avoid the knife. May come some day, but the longer i put it off the better.
hope this helps.
michael

Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Adamhi
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Michael,

Thank you for the good info. I read a little about prolotherapy but was sceptical...I take it it's been a benefit to you, so I'll have to ask my physiatrist about it. Out of sheer panic I've began a lot of exercising including stretching, something I've always skipped in the past unfortunately and just tried a yoga class with my wife last week...it did aggrevate my hips a bit, but I think I'll go back for another try next week. Although it's looking like I have something more systemic at this point, probably in the spondylarthritic area so this has gone beyond the hips and lowerback into the mid and upper back tendons/nerves etc area...ugh! Good luck staying away from the knife happy docs...hey, those joint replacements seem pretty good these days...my 77 year old grandmother-in-law has had both knees and one shoulder replaced over the last 5 years and she's doing great...even went on a trip to Europe that included lots of walking...you'd never know she's had the proceedures. Thanks again.
Adam

Last edited by Adamhi; 03-31-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
maebelle
(female)

maebelle HB User

Are you sure the urinary infection is completely resolved?
Sometimes they can be hard to eliminate.Also certain types of urinary infections can be passed between husband and wife.Certain types of arthritis can be caused by what is known as "reactive arthritis".
I am not saying this what you have by any means...just a thought to ponder.Has your rheumy done a blood test Hlab-27?
Hlab-27 is a genetic marker.When a positive result shows on bloodwork it can help determine AS,and numerous other arthritic diseases.The gene tend to run in families so since you have AS in the family history...it might be worth looking into.I have AS.Your symptoms sound much like mine.MB

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Adamhi
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Maebelle, thanks for the response...well you're right, I was just diagnosised with reactive arthritis a couple weeks ago. The doctor ruled out AS based on a lack of sachriolitis and a lack of family history...as well as my bloodwork and xrays/mri were all negative. My pain seems to be disapating slowly but it's hard to tell since I've been exercising, stretching, changed diet and am on some new good pain meds So for now I just need to keep dealing with the pain that I do have as the rest of us. I think I've had some real success reducing inflamation with diet (removing acidic foods), suppliments and exercise, have you had any success with diet and suppliments?

Adam

Closed Thread