It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Exclamation Arthritis?

I'm worried about my husband! He has had painful hands since about August last year. At the start it was just the joint at the base of the little finger of the right hand. It was very swollen, stiff & painful. The GP put him on anti inflamitary pills & sent him to the Physiotherapist for a course of treatment. This helped a lot but that finger is still a bit swollen & painful, particularly in the morning.

About November the same joint, but in the opposite hand, became very painful & swollen. He went back to the Docs. & had full blood test & X-rays of both hands. The blood tests showed no signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis & the X-ray showed some Osteo arthritis in both hands, but only in the small finger joints- not where he experiences the pain & swelling!

The Doc has told them that it could be referred pain from the Osteo Arthritis & prescribed more anti inflamitaries. He has already had 2 courses (each 6 weeks) of these pills & while they help the pain & swelling quite a lot when he is taking them, he has a shocking time after he comes off them- everthing hurts & the hands are worse than ever! Apparently it isn't advisable to take these particular pills long term- can wreck the stomach in some way.

My husband has had Psorioses for years & I was wondering if this could be Psoriatic Arthritis? Does anyone know if the symptoms fit? We are thinking of changing our GP over this because he seems to have decided not to investigate any further, & my husband is finding it difficult to function.

Sorry this is such a long post- just wondering if anyone knows the symptoms and/or tests for Psoriatic Arthristis. Any feedback would be greatly apprieciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
(female)

dutson1 HB User
Re: Arthritis?

Hiya
I'm surprised that his GP didn't test for PA to be honest, especially if he suffers from Psoriasis (although they don't always go hand in hand if u know wot I mean). I have had joint replacement in all fingers over the years so know how painful they can be so hopefully ur hubby gets this sorted asap. I would personally get back in touch with my Doc and ask them to test for PA and inform them that he is not happy with his treatment so far and if need be refer him to a Rheumatologist. Unfortunately not all Docs are clued up on everything out there as I guess they rn't gods even if some of them think they are.
Be persistent and i'm sure they will sort something out.
Good luck to ur man and you and hope to hear how it goes.
Shell

Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User

Hi,

I went to my rheumatologist 5 years ago with very painful knees and xplained to him that I had psoriasis th e year before, he took blood tests and looked at my bent at the top fingers and told me I had psoriatic arthritis, and started me on a dmard to try to stop it getting any worse. Five years on I have been on all the dmards and have arthritis in my hands wrists fingers knees elbows ankles and toes (toes being the worse as they keep locking and are very painful walking etc) I am now off work (I am 50 now and tried to keep going as long as I could). Psoriatic arthritis seems to affect the fingers and toes a lot and the other joints hurt at different times. I have never had psoriassis again as I was told once my psoriasis abated thats when the arthritis set in. You need to see a rheumatologist that knows about psoriatic arthritis and can help you further. Good luck.

Ronnie

Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegirl View Post
Apparently it isn't advisable to take these particular pills long term- can wreck the stomach in some way.
I'm guessing it's some form of NSAID, which one?

A lot of people take them daily, for years and at somewhat high doses (1000mg-2000mg). I'm sure you're familiar with Advil and Aleve? These are the same type of drugs, with the same side effects. To avoid stomach damage (to an extent), always make sure he eats something before taking them.

Occasionally, I can get away with skipping doses for a day or two before the pain comes back.

...I've wondered for a while now if I should be more concerned about the pitting in my nails - it comes and goes in a few at a time. More recently I've had a couple of odd spots on my skin too, that went away after a few weeks - never mentioned those to my rheumatologist.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Thankyou all for the feedback! The drug my husband has been on is Mobik. It certainly helps his hand joints, but he has been advised to come off it for a while & now seems to be in a worse way than before he went on it! He has always had bad nails- breaking & lifting off. I think we have to get him to a Rheumatologist even if it means changing to another GP! Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

pinlady HB User

for all of you that are having pain in your hands. Have you tried Paraffin Dip...wonderful...Wal Mart has Dr. Scholls containers and the wax refill...heat it up..dip you hands again and again...wrap them up...keep covered until you feel your hand cool and take off the wax...do this everyday...really helps...deep, deep heat for your hands and fingers.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
(male)

injoy HB User

hii al new ova here wud like to share my pain which radiated all thru da day n nit ws nt getin a wa out ...da one n only thing tht help me out ws tramadol n fioricet ....thnks lord somthin ther which help us all u cn go to yourrxforlife wher ul be surely helped fr ur medds regards fr u all

Closed Thread