It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

Susie63 HB User
tests were normal but I'm hurting

Does anyone know if you can have normal tests results and still have arthritis. My gp tested ANA and Sed rate and they came back normal. Im not sure if he did RH factor. It was not ordered but lab tech said they would call him to see if he wanted it done, I just got a call that said your test were normal so I dont know if he did the rh but I will find ot. Can you have normal results and still have arthritis? My finger,wrists and toes are swollen and hurt and its hard to do everyday things sometimes.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: tests were normal but I'm hurting

Osteoarthritis won't show anything on blood tests, and several of the autoimmune arthritis may not either - it can often take several tests to catch you at the right time in or directly after a flare.
Blood tests are just one tool, hopefully your doctor isn't fully dependent on them to diagnose you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi susie...i feel bad for you with no diagnosis, it can be maddening. there are alot of tests for arthritis, you really need to go to a rheumotologist to get more testing done. i would continue until he can dx me.....hoping you can get an appt. soon.......bevann

Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Susie, I was almost posting the same question just prior to yours. I too have arthritic pain, although in different areas, and also have all normal bloodwork...run twice, once back in December and again just last week. My doctor thinks I have Reactive Arthritis, "thinks" being the key word here, although it does seem to fit. This could be your diagnosis too, but you would have had to have a urinary or bowel related infection at some point just before your arthritis pain began. Reactive Arthritis happens as a result of infection. Either way it would probably interest you to do some reading on line regarding it...it is also called Reiter's Syndrome, and the good news is it's a temporary condition for most people lasting 3 - 12 months. Let us know if you think this diagnosis fits your symptoms...good luck.

Last edited by Adamhi; 03-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

I was having the same issue for well over a year. Horrific pain, swelling and a slew of other problems since Jan 31st...very debillitating. I finally got a good Rheumy and she ran some tests I never had before. FINALLY I was diagnosed with Streptococcal Arthritis, Low DHEA (Adrenal Fatigue), high C-Reactive protein and low vitamin. Research for a good Rheumy. Teaching hospitals are a good bet since they are continually doing research. I wish you luck I know how frustrating it can be. Every doctor seemed to think it was "in my head" or I just "needed more exercise"....Hell I couldn't even walk, bath, drive etc...some days. My thoughts are with you!

I am going for a bone scan and I guess it sees "hot spots" which can indicate different types of arthritis and other issues.

What tests have you had done? I would suggest getting a copy of the blood work so you have it when you go to he Rheumy. Good luck!

Bella

Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

Susie63 HB User

Hi Bella nd Adamhi I had sed rate,ANA,CBCand TSh tests. As for having an infection the only thing I have had was a infected tooth in November My pain hasnt been debilitating but my fingers and feet seem tobe the worst. They sometimes hurt too much to tie shoes. I am a fitness instructor so some days I just tell the class I wont be doing everything with them. Thanks for your input--Susie

Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Susie, I haven't heard of a tooth infection leading to reactive arthritis but who knows...I'm glad to hear you're still able to teach your class and aren't debilitated by it.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Bella/tattoos, thanks for the feedback and advice, I'm glad you finally were diagnosed and that it is a form of arthritis that is temporary and you can work on a treatment plan now. I just got a new doctor and she is affiliated with a teaching hospital and has already had her assistants/students with her on our first appointment...glad to hear I'm at least going down the right path with my doctor All my bloodwork came back normal both in december and last week across ana, sed rate, rheum factor, crp, prolactin, ccp, lyme disease and hla-b27, and x-rays/mri only showed mild OA in hips, si joint and L5...I'm 40 so that's actually normal. The pain is in my hips, buttocks/sit bone, sharp lower back, pressure sensitive mid back, achy dull across upper back and shoulders, and bottom of right foot. It all came on literally within days /week or two while coming off of a urinary tract infection...I was out rollerblading at a good clip for 4 miles just weeks before...ugh! I have almost no stiffness or pain in the morning...actually feel great in the morning...go figure This whole thing has me really uncomfortable and scared so I hope my new doc can confirm what this is soon...well, and that it is treatable.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey Adamhi-
Actually this type of Arthritis has flares anytime I come in contact with the Strept. bacteria, even if I don't get a throat infection etc... It can go into a remission with proper care. I started to do a symptom book. The doctor said maybe eventually in time I can learn to figure out when I am in the active stage and they hit it with high doses antibiotics. For now I got a steroid injections and will most likely start the pills and maybe DHEA replacement. It has really sucked, my daily temperature goes from around 97 to 102. It's like a wave. I wish it would go away but I guess it doesn't. So sos/so days, some really horrible but I take it 1 day at a time. I waonder what's going on with the original poster, hopefully she will update us. It is definitely good to get DX, being in limbo really is frustrating!

Bella

Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
(male)

Adamhi HB User

Bella, it sounds like you have a good clear plan of attack at least. And you're not alone with the one day at a time thing...for about 2 months I had a hard time driving my car and even walking to the bathroom. Lyrica nerve pain killer, daily exercise/stretching and a low acidic diet has helped significantly. In the past I would have never bought into the diet and exercise thing, but it's working great. Do you think you may have a strep. bacteria environmental source in your home that could be causing the frequent reoccurence (if that is even possible)...air vents, bathroom, sinks etc? I only mention it because I still don't know how my original UTI began that kicked off this arthritic pain, especially considering my wife wasn't infected, so I'm slightly paranoid that there's an environmental source in my home such as the central humidifier, air vents, sink (actually found a strand of bacteria growth coming out of my facet a few weeks ago...ugh!), shower...that bacteria can land on anything-under clothes, towels, sheets, toilet etc. It's probably unlikely but I still worry about it. Well good luck with your treatment, I'm sure you'll get a handle on this in the not too distant future.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Adahmi-

Well the doctor said I have the perfect source a 7-year-old. Even if he isn't sick or others around me aren't the strept. bacteria can be present. It's amazing the weird things that can cause Arthritis...like a UTI. Were they able to pinpoint the type of bacteria? My arthritis is a septic form since it runs through my veins and affects my joints and fluid leaks from my veins causing the horrible swelling (angiodema). It can also cause inflammation of my heart and kidney issues. It is kinda clumped with Rheumatic Fever and Scarlet Fever which they believe is caused by an unknown bacteria/virus.

So did they find some markers in your blood for the DX? It was a result of a UTI? Well UTI's aren't contagious, I don't think, so maybe that is why your wife didn't get it. I guess we were the lucky ones. It's kinda like my issue where I have it but I can't infect someone with it. Our bodies can really go haywire.

So are you on any meds? I am hoping to start an exercise program...perhaps aquatics. I eat pretty healthy. What type of food do you eat? Is it helpful?
I am totally there with you about the driving and walking thing. It has gotten better but for a one time ANY activity was EXCRUCIATING!

Hope all goes well with you too. Let me know if you come up with any helpful tips.

Bella

Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
(male)

Adamhi HB User

They haven't found anything yet and I still remain undiagnosed but have an appointment this Thursday and hope the doctor has some answers or at least a direction to move forward...I'm still praying for a reactive form of arthritis that just kinda goes away over a few months...please lord!!!!!! In the meantime I feel about 50% better than a month or so ago and can't tell whether the disease is slowly going away or if my diet/exercise program is just kicking in. I've read that acid in your diet is the lead cause of inflammation outside of infection so I removed(greatly reduced) acidic foods from my diet (ie removed: wheat, grains, dairy such as milk and cheese, and carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, candy, sodapop, and also cut down on raw protein such as red-meat, pork and chicken) and then added inflammation fighting foods and suppliments such as Omega 3's found in fish, particularly salmon (if buying a suppliment look for fish oil with at least an EPA of 400mgs and DHA of 250mgs) and yogurt that includes active cultures and a lot of grapes and bananas and veggies (non-spicy) as well as glucosamine, chondroitin, MSN and Hyaluronic Acid, DHEA and vitK. As far as exercising goes I had to start very slowly as I was decrepid when begining, but now I do 25 minutes on the elipse machine, situps, lower back machine, shoulders, lateral stomach turning machine and a LOT OF STRETCHING...I'm actually rebuilding my posture by doing a lot of back exercises to pull my upper back into better position, doing a lot of lower back and situps to hold my core together and am stretching my hamstrings like crazy to allow my pelvis to tilt more forward so that my lower back can maintain the proper forward curve...yep, it's a lot but my symptoms are spondylitic (is that a word?) so I'm focusing on posture releated benefits and I am totally panicked over this disease so am going to give it my all!!!!!

If they know you have septic arthritis can't they just give you an antibiotic to kill the infection or are you having post-infection arthritis? If your infection is gone maybe the arthritis will go away too over time, such as reactive arthritis?

Last edited by Adamhi; 03-31-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Closed Thread