It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

prendi1 HB User
Unhappy any one with gout??

hi i have been having pains in my instep,toes,heels and even in my fingers.my knees are also sore ,although my gp says it is arthritis in the knees,i thought that you only got gout in the big toe.i would be grateful if any one has gout to give me some info on what tests i could have and how they were diagnosed and what treatment there is for it.thanks

Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

Tweet10110 HB User
Re: any one with gout??

I most definitely hope you start feeling a lot better prendi1. My husband has gout in his big toe but one of his friends have gout in his arm. I also thought it was only in the toe. Is it true that alcohol doesn't help their gout?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Hi,
You can have gout in just about any joint in the body. My gout is rarely in the same place as last time, but it is (in my case) always somewhere in my feet. It is also common in the arms and hands. I rarely get it in the big toes, but often in the arch and heel, and sometimes in the ankle.

Gout is due to an excess of uric acid in the bloodstream. Uric acid comes from the breakdown of foods called purines and arthritic gout is caused when the uric acid is not eliminated sufficiently by the kidneys, and is precipitated in and around the joints - the inflammatory reaction of the tissue to the uric acid causes the gout pain. It occurs in the body's extremities where blood circulation is restricted and body temperature is lower.
As far as I know there is no cure for gout - once you have it, you have it for life.
That said some medications are effective against it. Exercise too seems to help.
Most advice is to avoid alcohol since it depletes water from the body. Gout is often referred to as the 'drinker's disease'. (This seems to be because drinkers often have an impaired kidney function.)
The medications are usually (1) allopurinol, which helps lower the production of uric acid, or (2) colchicine (derived from a plant bulb). Allopurinol has to be taken continuously to be effective, but colchicine can be used to reduce the effects of a sudden gout attack. I have never found colchicine to be very effective and it can have serious side effects.

Blood tests for uric acid can be used to check for gout, although the point of onset of painful gout can vary from person to person. The unique feature of gout is that one morning it is there, extremely painful, but a few days later, or even next day, it can be completely gone. Exercise when you have gout must be avioded as it can make it much worse. Resting the affected joint, or keeping your weight of your feet it essential. Use crutches if you must move about.

Many potential sufferers avoid gout by careful attention to diet and avoidance of purine-rich foods.
Research it further and you will find plenty of information available.
Good luck with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beefsteak For This Useful Post:
dhaulagiri (12-27-2011)
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
(male)

RuderRider HB User

i found out i have gout on tuesday afte suffering like a tard the past 5 days. My knee is swolen up bigger than a grapefruit, bordering on honeydew melon. also i have type 2 diabetes, the two reccomended diets of gout and diabetes contradicts each other. So i guess i will have to eat cardboard and carrots seems to be the only thing the two diets agree on. HMMM and wash it down with distilled water.
Any one have any suggestions for a diet plan( meals) to accomodate both afflictions.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
(male)

scooterdude HB User

I can tell you all who suffer with gout, I feel for you. The first time I had a flare up, I had dropped something on my foot a couple of days earlier and blamed it on that, then about a month later, it happened to my big toe on my other foot. Anyways to make a long story short i looked into low purine diets, tried to follow them to a science and still had flare ups. I drank the tart Montmorency cherry juice every day until my stomach couldn't handle it anymore. Finally my wife decided to put me on a very low animal fat restriction, and that has worked great, at least for the gout.
Good Luck !
P.S. I have a friend who also suffers with gout and he swears by taking two tablespoons of baking soda in a glass of water whenever he has a flare up, usually his goes away in a day or two.

Closed Thread