It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
(female)

studey HB User
bone scan for arthritis

My docter wants me to have a bone scan for my pain I have in my back ( basically all my spine, but it hurts worse in the middle ) and my hips, both,,My hands also hurt,,other parts hurt also but these are the worse...I take morphine 30mgs 3 times a day for it...I can not take the standard arthritis meds due to a inoperable brain aneurysm, I have had for 7 years,,And these meds could possibly make it grow or bleed, both no no's..I was wondering if anyone had a bone scan for there arthritis and what it showed...He said, if it showed anything then we could order a MRI..I am thinking it must be a medicare thing..Have that done before you get a MRI...??? I have allready had 4 x-rays, all with steady getting worse..in the last 4 years...Thanks for any replys, Cindy (Studey )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: bone scan for arthritis

Hi Cindy, I read your post. I'm sorry I don't really know about bone scans for arthritis. I need to go to my doctor since I've been having pain all over, hands, feet, joints, bones, etc.! I believe it's osteoarthritis since I was dx'ed years ago. I just never experienced much pain until I got older - now in other words.

God-bless, Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

carrara HB User

Studey
I am very sorry to here about your condition. I have seen my stepchildren suffer through the very sudden death of their mother from an aneurysm. She was fine one minete and brain dead in the hospital 10 minetes latter. It must be terrible for you and your familly to live with the constant feer of losing you. The only thing that gave my stepkids any good feelings was that their mother Leighann had wanted to be an organ donner. 4 of her organ were sucessfuly transplanted and 4 people had a second chance in life. She was only 36 when she died.
You are both lucky and unlucky I suppose , you are still alive but you are dependant on mind altering narcotics just to funtion. I can't begin to understand how hard it must be for you and your loved ones. Plus you have arthritis in so many joints! Life can be cruel.
Most of the people on the addiction and RECOVERY boards have hope for the future and many of us (me included) are now living pain free and drug free now, and do not want to be that other person they were when the withdrawl was giving us pain that we thought was real. This is why we want people to be sure of their actual pain level is. The only way to do that is to tapper of the drugs and get trough the withdrawl and find out. Not everyone has a life sentance of dependance to extreamly strong narcotics. Please keep this in mind when you come to the addiction and recovery boards. We all just want whats best for everyone and when some posts about chronic pain we just want to be sure there is no hope for them before we sugest they go to your boards.
I hope you take this the right way is written with the best of intentions. sincerly carrara

Last edited by carrara; 03-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

studey HB User

i am sorry if I did something wrong ? It just sounded like that person had a dependency problem..I asked her her if she ever craved etc..and she never responded back to that.only that she thought she had (she thought chronic pain ) , The line can sometimes be so very thin..and I did not mean trouble..I just want a chromic painer to know the difference between addiction and dependence..Alot of Docters to this very day , Still Have no clue, Which is so very sad. But they are teaching them in school now. And they did not 10 years ago..So things have changed for the good..But I meant no harm..I'm a nurse( I guess you can say retired ) But I sure did love my job, and do miss it,,This aneurysm robbed me of my life at 38,,and I am 47 now..So I have many years to live with God awful pain Unless....IT gets me first...But I meant no harm,,So sorry if anyone took it that way, Hugs, Studey

Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

carrara HB User

studey
This is the first time I have been to the crinic pain boards. I didn't want to say anything onthe other Thread because the ADMINISTRATOR would have been mad. He calls it highjacking Their thread. So I came over here to look for you and found one of your threads to talk to you. I hope I didn't hurt your feeling or anything. If I did I'm sorry. I was surprised by how little seem to be posted over here compared to "my" board I wonder why that is?? There must be a lot of people out there who could get some comfort here by talking to people in similar circomstances. I was taking percocet for a back injury for 3 years and I had to take more as my body got used to it. My stepdaughter had a baby today. All is well with the baby, but the baby was puting presure on the tube from her 1 kidney to her blatter. She was in so much pain they gave her morphine injections inspite of her being about to have a baby. Then sent her home for the night and told her to come back in the morning to get induced. She had the baby at 3pm They had to treat the baby for the exposure to the drug and say she is fine. But my stepdaughter was compleattly out of it and high on the morphine. I dom't think they should have done it. They said the hospital was to busy to induce her right away so thats why they gave her the morphine. It really makes me mad. Dr. just push the drugs on us to much.Anyway if you want to talk to me please do and if not thats ok too!
It's your call. Best wishes carrara

Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
(female)

studey HB User

my daughter had the same problem but at a very early time in her last pregnancy..She was in her 5th month..The baby cut off the tube and she had to have a stent placed..(surgery ) It caused her Left kidney to almost die..And problems with her other..It was horrible time for her, As she progressed on with her time..The baby was pressing on the stent, the stent was gathering 100's of stones..They had to give her pain meds during her last 3 months..Said the pain could cause her to go into labour ..I beleive ,they gave her percocets and phenergans..But after the baby was born, she had to have her tubes tided because if she got pregnant again, they said it could be her life....She is/was 22 at the time..Both are doing great now,,she had some problems with withdraw after the baby was born, he had no problems (we could see he and daughter stayed with us for 6 weeks after her discharge ) She still gets kidney stones all the time..but he is a healthy 18 month..smart as can be..We think he is a little genoius. Cause he is so smart..Alot more smarter than the other grandchildren when they were 18 months..But at the time, I was so very worried about my daughter..I just wanted her to get through this pregnacy alive and well..She is my only daughter. and very close..But just so lucky it went as well as it did..god is good..Hugs, Studey

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
(female)

carrara HB User

Wow that must have been realy hard on your daughter. Thank god she didn't lose the baby. I've heard so many stories about complications during precnancy and labour/delivery , there must have been so many women and babies that didn't make it back before the modern medicine we have now.
It's late and I should be sleeping but I can't fall asleep for some reason. I have to work in the morning so I can't sleep in, unless I get called off again. I live in a tourst town and everything is slow in the winter. It's the start of march break but we aren't even full at the hotel. What we do have rented is hockey teams. They are the worst groups to clean up after. Should be a good test for my back, hopfully it won't be to bad. I will only take Advil now so I don't rush and kill myself at work anymore. That is how I got hurt in the first place.It's 12:21am now so I'm going to try to fall asleep again. By the way I suck at spelling and haven't typed since grade 10 when I took it in school, who knew all this computer stuff would take over the world! At least I'm not just using 2 fingers now, I guess it's like riding a bike, it comes back to you. Sooooooooooo.Good morning I hope you have a good day....carrara

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

studey HB User

ya know, back in the day..The death of child birth was very high..I beleive it was as high as 40%..Mostly related to sepsis or they called it child birth fever. Which at the time it was a infection..That eventaually went through the whole body/ blood..But they did not have simple anti-biotics that would save there lives..and I beleive it was worst off for the infants..They would get there babies babtised very early..because of the death rate was so high..And there was no way they wanted there children to go to you know where..So baptism at 3 days old..
I just do not know how you can take Ibuprofen and be able to live and work..Gosh, that would be heaven if I could EVER even hope for a life like that..But I know..My fate..Unless things changes and a miracle happens..But who know stranger things have happened,,I have been disabled since 2001. and it totatly sucks..But my husband owns and operates a propane buisness and a cuople other small buisnesses..So life is not hard with money..Just hard, to bear at times..But it comes with acceptance I geuss..Hey, Have a great day at work..and don't forget to play..(when I worked, My saying, Work hard, play hard, : ) ..Hugs, Cindy

Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Studey, I see a whole different conversation going on here other than what was originally asked about the bone scan back in May. Did you get an answer?

I had a whole body MDP bone scan (scintigraphy) done which showed "Mild degenerative changes in the cervical spine. Mild to moderate degenerative changes identified in the lower lumbar spine. Mild to moderate arthritis or osteoarthritis identified within the bilateral shoulders, bilateral elbows, bilateral wrists, bilateral hips, bilateral knees, bilateral ankles and 1st and 2nd left MTP joint". I just had an appointment with a Rheumatologist this week and she said her exam did not show as much damage as what the bone scan indicated. I feel like there is a lot of damage already to many of my joints. She gave me Diclofenac Sodium 75mg to take twice daily to see if it helps.

Did you ever have a whole body MDP bone scan done? This is different from the bone scan used to detect osteoporosis!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

studey HB User

Yes, I got the bone scan done and my pain Docter din't go into detail with me..Just said that it showed that what X-rays showed..I haved moderated OA in all levels in my spine and in my hip, hands, and just found out I have L-4-L5 moderate herniation..I really don't thank he wanted to go into detail cause he knows how upset I get with new thangs that comes up with my body..So he just But he increased my morphine at the time and did some other things that should have told me.that things were not Great and Cheery. When my aneurysm started growing in 2004, I went to him in a nervous breakdown (my husband had to take me, I just could not stop crying ) He probly remeember this..He had to give me shots to settle me down,,See at the time (Still Is ) If my aneurysm grows it is like a death sentence..But We did find a NS to put in a stent (no coils ) the stent itself allmost killed me..But So far , ( crossing fingers ) it hasn't grown since 2005..Still hoping and doing alot of praying on that one..But just seems like if I there is bad thang out there, I am sure to get it..Not really, But I have had my fair share of them..So now I got a new pain docter,,Saw him Twice, Poor Guy Doesn't Know me Yet,,LOL..I was With my First Pain Guy for allmost 7 years..He was awsome..He comes to house to Fish and Mushroom hunt Etc..But he retired..But my pain is terrible from my arthur. It goes down my right leg stops at my knee..and when I bend to much..I feel like my back is broke in half,,Pluss My hips just hurt all the time..It is just awfull, i have been fighting this now for 3 years constantly..Besides my head pain..I am on topamax 300 a day, ativan, for my nerves,, LOL, Was on morphine and new pain doc,took me off of it cause he did not like that I was on 2 long acting pain drugs,,So he took me off morphine (took 9 days No problem ) was on 90 mgs a day,,then he increased my methadone from 60 mgs to 90 mgs..and he put me on a Zana flex..Seems to work pretty good so far..I can not take aspirin,,except a baby aspirin to keep the stent open..other wise it is just to dangerous, if I have a small leak in my aneurysm,,it could bleed out and kill me..So I have been on large doses of narcotics for some time, but it is the only thiong that works for this horrific pain (head mostly )..I also have blood pressure problems and take meds for that..I had the scan for oseto done and I do not have osteo (weak bones). Hope your pain is not bad and hugs, Cindy

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Most likely your DR needs to check you first for osteoporosis - bone scan is usually ordered to check level of your bone mass. Back/hips pain may be related to osteoporosis, which comes with "territory".
MRI is the test ordered to check damages arthritis done to your joints or soft tissues (with RA for example). Both of those tests are absolutely painless and very helpful to determent your condition.

Best of luck to you!

Closed Thread