It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Chronic Synovitis anyone?

Going through my old records I see that my 2005 MRI of my left shoulder showed "chronic synovitis and synovial cysts" (along with tendonitis, bursitis, and avulsed glenoid labrum). This was when I was having major pain that progressed to no ROM of the joint. I also developed right shoulder pain at the same time but it was not as bad (I remember having to sleep flat on my back since I couldn't roll on either side). I never had it followed up by an ortho since I was moving at the time and then the symptoms went completely away.

Now I've got joint pain back in both shoulders (started up when I began swimming 3 times a week), and significant pain in my bilateral hips (worsens when walking or climbing or decending stairs or inclines) and some in my knees. I've read that chronic synovitis is common with RA but since I'm seronegative I'm having a hard time getting a rheum to see me. My PCP is ordering up MRIs of my most affected joints now (hips, pelvic girdle).

I am curious about how others with chronic synovitis have experienced this condition. Did your symptoms come and go? Did they migrate to other joints? Did they get worse with use of the joint? Do you also have an RA diagnosis?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Re: Chronic Synovitis anyone?

Hi,
I am so sorry to hear of your problems with synovitis. I have had seronegative RA for almost 20 yrs and have been seeing a rheumy all that time. You need to be seen for this, the way my rheumy explains it to me is that this is a part of the disease. My MRI of my hips showed cysts etc and a lot of swelling which my dr could not tell till she did the MRI. I also have fluid in my major joints. You need a rheumy to get you on DMARDs, long acting meds. I take Arava, Dolobid, Azulfidine, oral pred as needed and my rheumy injects my hips with a mix of prednisone and lidocaine when I have a lot of pain and difficulty walking. Great that your PCP is doing the tests but with an ESR of 100+ you need a rheumy!!!!! Mine at my worse was 76 and I got immediate attention. Sometimes they keep thinking it will be a virus but you have had years of this, so no go. Also if needed they will prescribe pain meds for you to take. Hope you get some help!!!!
Donna70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. It was encouraging to hear your story, which sounds a lot like mine.

I've had normal sed rates so that's another reason the Rheumy didn't see me-- they place great stock on blood tests, even ones that are not sensitive to the disease I'm afraid.

Did your hip pain worsen with exercise (prior to your treatment)? And did your symptoms ever resolve on their own and then come back (perhaps early in your disease?).

The confusing part of this for me is that I don't exactly fit into the usual RA syndrome; i.e. more pain/stiffness in the am that gets better with exercise (mine seems to improve with rest and worsen with exercise), hot swollen joints (my hands swell in the morning but minimally-- now I have some kind of involvement with my right wrist like tenosynovitis but no swelling-- but I do have heat in my right inguinal area when I am in pain-- no swelling), and of course, seronegative for RF. The only REAL thing I have to point to is my old shoulder MRI that shows chronic synovitis. This and the fact that I've got multiple joints affected and many of them bilateral is all I've got to go on
right now.

So I'll await the upcoming MRIs to see what they show. Thanks again for your helpful response.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User

Hi,
Hope I helped but my hip pain when it is bad makes it very difficult to walk or exercise except leg lifts in water. My sed rate now is low but when I have inflammation my CRP c-reactive protein has been up to 25 it should be 4 or less.But all these years I have been seronegative but have been treated for inflammatory arthritis, polyarthritis and osteoarthritis but always by my rheumy, which is what you need, it can jump around from one joint to another and does not have to be symmetrical. You need the proper meds and evaluation by a rheumatologist. Hope your PCP sends you to one after the MRI.
take care,
Donna70

Closed Thread