It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

Tasia9 HB User
Ms & Ra?

Hi everyone.
I am new to this board but not to he multiple Sclerosis board (MS) I was dx with Ms over a year ago. Along with MS sx I am experiencing other symptoms too. My mom has RA and so does my Aunt. When I was in my early twenties I had a blood test to determine if I was at risk for RA. I was borderline? What does this mean. I am now just forty. I was dx with transverse myletis in 2006 and Relaxing Remitting MS in 2007. As far as MS goes my symptoms are all sensory and I have a very good prognosis. What stumps me is that for as long as I can remember I have had problems in the joints of my fingers, Not every finger mind you. The funny thing is my problem seems to flare up in the summer when it is very hot. Having MS I already have a heat sensitivity however, this does not seem like an MS thing to me.
This is what happens to me
I wake up in the morning and my middle finger on my left hand is tight and painful. It appears that I have a deformity happening. ie. nodule on finger. I have had the same thing happen on the opposite hand...just not at the same time. I have not experienced anyother pain that I can relate to RA except for the pain in my fingers. Does this make any sense to anyone?
Thanks for listening to me.
tasia

Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Ms & Ra?

Was the test you took looking for genetic markers? Or diagnostic tests like rheumatoid factor and SED rate?

Does the deformity in your finger joint look bumpy and is hard to the touch or is your finger bent and the joint red, swollen and spongy?

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 07-24-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

Hi,
My deepest apologies for not responding earlier...was called away for a few days. I believe the test I had was the SED rate because my doctor at the time said that my numbers indicated that I was borderline. It was many years ago when I had this test but the number 22 for my sed keeps popping up in my head?
No I do not have redness or inflamation. My finger has a hard nodule on the joint, very tender to the touch and is the first thing I feel when I wake up in the morning. Its just the one finger. Sometimes its two fingers. Last time I had this pain was last summer and it affected two fingers on my left hand. This summer it is just the one. For years I have been having this kind of pain off and on. Thinking back it seems to hit me in the summer time. At first I thought it was nerve pain..just not the same kind of pain as nerve pain...believe me I know the difference
Thank you for your reply and once again sorry for not responding sooner
Tasia

Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

No worries It's a huge board, I "misplace" my posts all the time.

Heberden's nodes are small, bony knobs may appear on the end joints (near your nails) on your fingers. Bouchard's nodes are the same thing on the middle joints. They're caused by osteoarthritis, which despite it's innocuous 'gramma disease' reputation, can be very painful and debilitating and can strike in early middle age.

In RA the joints are swollen with synovial fluid (mushy to the touch, boggy), pink warm to red hot and first thing in the morning, they may be temporarily contracted (bent). RA often attacks the finger joints closest to the hand, knuckles and middle. It also tends to attack symmetrically.

SED rate, even a high one, can't diagnose RA. The SED rate is just an indication of inflammation in the body - and it varies person to person, day to day, a virus, stress, even exercise can elevate it. A friend of mine with severe MS had a SED rate over 200.

Rheumatoid Factor (RF) is another not-so-accurate test that can change over time. I have severe active RA and I've never tested positive for RF, yet other people can test positive for it and never develop arthritis at all.

C-reactive Protein (CRP) is a newer test for RA. It's another inflammation marker like SED rate with so-so accuracy as other illnesses can cause it to go up.

There's no single test for RA. It's the combination of lab tests with physical findings, carefully taken medical history, and x-rays that make the diagnosis.

See a Rheumatologist if you can - they treat OA too.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 07-28-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

AutieLeela,
Thank you so much for being well informed...you have helped me lots. I do not have the redness and inflamation that you described with RA. Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences between types of arthritis. This will help me on my next Dr. visit
Take care and I wish you all the best
Tasia

Closed Thread