It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

kyeezie HB User
Treating a flare up

I am a 26 year old female and have been diagnosed with RA for a few years now. I have been lucky so far as to get it under control the last year or so but lately I have been having a flare up and was wondering what you guys take for the pain? I've tried to take aleve but it doesn't sit with my stomach very well. Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
Re: Treating a flare up

if your stomach bothers you with aleve, i really think you should contact your doc for a prescription pain pill. just make sure you tell him about your stomach problems.
take care.......bevann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Kye...
I am new to RA world as an adult. But I want to share with you what my wonderful Rheumotologist told me.
First of all, I will always be on some type medication due to severity of my condition.
Right now I just started Meth. and go progressively higher every week. Than Prednisone from very high dose to a lower and than I will stay on that low levels for a while. But she said that I have to have always in my draw Prednisone and if I get worse day or flare up - I must start this treatment again.
As I understood I can't do any treatments on my own; I always have to be in contact with her and if I get flare up she has to know about it and we go back to Prednisone for higher doses and than lower it down as things get better.

How come that your condition worsened and you are on your own? Did you contact your DR? You are only 28, you don't want your joints, ligaments, etc. get worse from inflammation?

I am not sure if you can take Alive and expect any help in a long run from it. This is a temp solution, you need more than that.

Best of luck to you, honey

Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Yes, contact your doctor and get a script for an NSAID. It'll be easier on your stomach and more effective too.

Right now I take Clinoril but I've been on tons of different NSAIDs. Clinoril is actually a pretty old drug. You might want to take something newer like Celebrex or Mobic.

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/painrelievers.html[/url]

And make sure you're getting enough Omega-3 in your diet. It's a natural anti-inflammatory.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

mindyp HB User

My rheumatologist prescribed tramadol for pain management of my RA. I have had no problems with stomach upset. It also helps me to sleep through the night, as I would otherwise toss and turn.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

May I ask you all something important to me:

I am reading about meds you are taking from pain due to RA. How about real treatments? RA is the auto immine desease and if not properly treated causing joints and soft tissue damages and even organs!
I got a lots of problems due this situation and even inlarged nodules in my lungs are due to RA! So this is not matter of taking care of pain due to RA, but treating it...
Are you on any treatments? Like Meth, Prednisone, etc?

Please advice, I am new here so I try to learn as much as I can...
Best wishes to all of you!

Closed Thread