It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
(female)

Pepper08 HB User
OA in my hips and right knee

I've had OA for several years now. My doctor gives me muscle relaxers. They don't help.
Just had my second set of x-rays done but he didn't really go into detail if I'm worse or not. I have a few good days but for the most part I ache and hurt most of the time. I'm only 52 and the quality of my life isn't pleasant.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Such as seeing another doctor, a medication I could take for pain relief? I at the point to where I have to use a wheelchair if I go to places like Wal-Mart.

Any advice would sure be appreciate,

Thank you,
Pepper

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: OA in my hips and right knee

I have no idea why he's giving you muscle relaxers!?! Do you have Fibro? If you're seeing a GP - go see a rheumatologist instead. (and if you are seeing a rheumy, go see a different one!)

Rheumatologists don't just treat rheumatic diseases, they treat osteoarthritis and osteoporosis too.

I take Rx Clinoril for my rheumatoid. It's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). You should probably be on one too, like Clinoril or Mobic, or at the very least prescription strength Ibuprofen! How's your stomach? NSAIDs can be tough on the tummy. I take 40mg Pepcid everyday too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

Hi Pepper,
I can relate. I worked on my feet for years like that. I am now retired. I agree the muscle relaxents do not work. They do help me sleep through the night though. I suggest you see a good rheumatologist. They do see people with OA as well as other types of arthritis.
I was on 750mg nabumetome twice a day and how wonderful that was. No pain at all but I had problems with bruising and gums bleeding. So he cut it back to 500 mg 2X a day. The results are not as good. I still have some pain but I can live with it unlike before.

I have OA in both hips, and spine.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by ellemae11; 08-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

Pepper08 HB User

Thank you both for responding. No, I don't have fibro but do have a problem with my mid back.
I called a few rheumies here but can't get in to see one for about 4 months! I also have to have a referral from my doctor. I'm going to see him in the morning with the drugs you two suggested and see if he will work with me.

Thanks again!

Pepper

Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
(female)

hobalong HB User

Hi Pepper
I have OA both knees and left shoulder and hips, I did not have much joy as others do with physio's etc, I found out what helped me myself, everyone is individual and you may need to see what works, I take tablets only if needed and with food, you need to watch your weight, keep moving, perhaps trying Ibuprofen gel to rub in, magnetic therapy, swimming, cold packs for inflammation, and read up what others do to help them, the doctors are keen to put you on medication but I found most did not agree with me so only use when I have over done things, building up muscle tone is important, I have now had a partial knee and it has now helped the pain in the knee's I am 48years old and intend to do most things and even though I am stiff in the mornings, I will not let OA beat me.
Regards
Lesley

Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

cissy1964 HB User

Have you tried massage?

I am a massage therapist and have quite a few clients with osteoarthritis. They've been getting great results with regular deep tissue massage.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

Pepper, what works the best for me when I am in pain is to take a hot bath. Cold make my joints hurt but the hot bath (and soaking) relaxes the muscles and helps lessen the pain.
Good luck, I hope you find help soon.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
(female)

Pepper08 HB User

I can't tell you each, how much I appreciate your advice, and, caring. My doctor put me on Indomethacin 50mg. This seems to help some but I don't take it unless I have too due to the side effects.

I haven't tried massage therapy. I'm going to check into it. ellemae11, hot baths help me sometimes also. If nothing else it relieves stress with a bit of Calgon in it!

Finding this forum and all of you who unfortunately share my pain is great in that we can help each other and understand. People look at me and say, "Nothing looks wrong with you to me." If only they knew!!

I wish you all a low pain week. Gentle hugs.....Pepper

Last edited by Pepper08; 08-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Closed Thread