It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

Gnocchi HB User
Does this mean I have arthritis?

I had my first visit with a rheumatologist last week. Our follow-up appointment was originally scheduled for Novermber but the office called this week and moved it up to September 12th.

Today, I received a card in the mail. It's a form for test results -- none of the boxes are checked for "normal." Instead, the doctor wrote, "Elevated inflammatory markers indicating active inflammation."

Does that mean I have arthritis?

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User
Re: Does this mean I have arthritis?

Yes, I would think it means you have arthritis, just what kind of arthritis it is -- they don't know yet. That's probably why they called you back early. Maybe when you go back on the 12th of Sept. you can take a short list of questions that you want answered. They may need to do more tests to fine tune the diagnosis, but inflammation certainly indicates something is going on. Were you referred to this rheumatologist by your family doctor? What symptoms did you have?
Whatever the final diagnosis is, you seem to have found a good rheumie who is up to date and urgently looking into your health. That is good - sometimes it's very hard to find one. So good luck and let us know how you are doing okay?
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

OuchyMichele HB User
Lightbulb Re: Does this mean I have arthritis?

Yes, it seems that they've found something worth looking more into. At your follow-up appointment, they'll probably just send you to lab to get more blood work done and if you have any inflamation, they may take synovial fluid . Depending on the results of your previous tests, they may decide to start you on a new medication. Just be aware that the doctors are there to help you get figured out. They know more than we know, but it's also important to bring up any questions you may have. When I got started in the process of seeing Rheumatology earlier this year, they ran test after test, in order to rule out possible causes for the arthritis such as Lymes Disease, and Hepatits even. Please know that they told me from the start that it may be a long time and many tests need to be done before a conclusive "diagnosis" will be made. Arthritis is such a tricky thing. The diseases that sometimes can cause arthritis also have other random symptoms like sores in your mouth, or dry eyes, you know, stuff us normal people wouldn't be able to see the conneciton to arthritis. If the search begins to progress, be sure to let the doctor know about ANY issues you've been having that are out of the norm, or conditions you have had for a while. Arthritis can be a systemic problem that effects your whole body in different ways, like your eyes. Just be keen to the terms the doctors use and make sure to bring a little notepad & pen with you so if you still feel nervous or unsure, you can just go home and look up the exact words he was using in order to see where he was going with your preliminary diagnosis & other tests that may need to be done. I am on my 9th month of being classified as "seronegative arthritis". All that means is it's not rheumatoid arthritis. So see, we're still plugging along, trying to figure out what is going on in my body now so we can prevent wose things from happening to it. Besy pf luck and welcome to the board. It's my first "response" since I joined 5 minutes ago. See you out there!

Last edited by OuchyMichele; 09-05-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: used a brand or trademark

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ouchy - I'm sero-negative also. A label I've been carrying for about 8 years now in addition to fibro. I am finally getting a referral to a new rheumie (my old one left the city), but that won't be for couple of months, and anxious to get going on clarifying things. I have completed a full medical history from birth, with dates and diagnoses, and a compilation of symptoms over the past 30 years, plus a chart showing symptoms from the top of my head to my toes. That is going to help when I finally get this appointment, and hopefully we can jump right in to do the required tests to move forward. If I didn't prepare this stuff ahead of time, it would take a very long time to document it during regular appointment times.
So, I'm there with you Ouchy, we'll just keep plugging along........
Paddy

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

Gnocchi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy55 View Post
Yes, I would think it means you have arthritis, just what kind of arthritis it is -- they don't know yet. That's probably why they called you back early. Maybe when you go back on the 12th of Sept. you can take a short list of questions that you want answered. They may need to do more tests to fine tune the diagnosis, but inflammation certainly indicates something is going on. Were you referred to this rheumatologist by your family doctor? What symptoms did you have?
Whatever the final diagnosis is, you seem to have found a good rheumie who is up to date and urgently looking into your health. That is good - sometimes it's very hard to find one. So good luck and let us know how you are doing okay?
Paddy
Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I'm brand new to all this so I appreciate your input.

What questions would you bring?

I originally asked to see a rheumatologist to talk about joint hypermobility syndrome. I also had some then annoying, now debilitating foot pain which my podiatrists can't figure out. At the time of the appointment, as ridiculous as it sounds for a 39 year old female vegetarian, I think I was having a gout attack.

Here are my symptoms:
Shoulders slide out of their sockets (I've always been able to dislocate them at will, but now they do it on their own. Ech.)
Bone spurs on my cervical spine, along with herniated discs
Lower back pain
Knee pain

And in the last year I've had problems with my feet/ankles:
- Dec 07: surgery to repair torn peroneal tendon & detached ligament (right)
- February08: got out of orthopedic boot and developed forefoot pain (right)
- May 08: developed posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (both feet)
Docs suspect lots of synovitis
- June 07: surgery to debride tendon (left)
- Now: right foot has gone flatfooted. Pod Surgeon appointment on 9/11.

Luckily my rheumy ordered a contrast MRI for my right foot on 9/4 so hopefully the docs will find something at my various appointments.

QUESTIONS for DOCS?
This week I see my primary doc on Wednesday (to discuss how the gabapentin is working), podiatrist then podiatric surgeon (2 dif docs) on Thursday, and rheumy on Friday to discuss test results.

I don't know what to ask the rheumy about arthritis so if you have ideas, I'd be grateful for them!

Last edited by Gnocchi; 09-06-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having all those physical problems and pain. Yes, like the others stated, something in one or more tests showed inflammation, which could have been an ESR or CRP or some other test. It certainly can mean some sort of arthritis, but that would still need to be figured out.

I have alot of the same symptoms you do, except I do not have hypermobile joints. On and off, I do get bad neck & shoulder pain. I also have pain in my low back, my sacroiliac area, my hips, and it seems in my entire pelvic girdle. I also have bad ankle problems, my right being the worst. I have extensively torn tendons plus PTTD...and over the years my right ankle has collapesed inward also. I get all sorts of pains and achiness in that ankle and actually both heels. I also have spots of bone death on my talar bone. My Podiatrist said it looks like I jumped off a building..however, I have never injured myself. So he said I have severe arthritis. Sometimes I get elbow pain and rashes around my elbows and ankles.

I also see a Rheumatologist but also have had many other symptoms..and have a diagnosis of Lupus and Fibromyalgia, but that doesnt explain why my ankles just fell apart. I know about 19 years ago, I had an elevated ANA titer, but I have no clue what any of my test results have been while seeing my current Rheum. He never tells me that and I've never gotten any test results in the mail.

When you see the doc, make sure you tell him every symptom that you've had, even if you don't think it's connected. You might even want to write it all down so you don't forget and it will be easier for the doc to look at.
Ask the doc to explain to you what an elevated inflammatory is and means and why he thinks you might have this. Also tell him how long you've had all the problems; Describe to him how your different pains feel...such as dull, achy, crampy, sharp, stabbing, pulsating, electric, etc... My whole pelvis area sometimes feel like I am a wishbone that someone is trying to pull apart. So try to think of descriptive things to help him know the kind of pain you are feeling. If possible, try to get your medical records from your other doctors to bring with you...so that the Rheum can look it all over and see the big picture.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Gnocchi - some questions for your rheumie visit.
  • What specific tests indicated "elevated inflammatory markers" were high?
  • Do these results mean that I have arthritis?
  • If I do have arthritis, exactly what kind do I have? (possible answers would be Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteo Arthritis, Lupus, for example)
  • What is the standard treatment for patients with my kind of arthritis?
  • Are the drugs I take now specifically meant for my kind of arthritis?
  • Are there other drug treatments available?
  • What other things can I be doing to help myself? Specific exercises? Physical Therapy? Occupational Therapy? (especially for your feet).
And I agree with Baybreeze. You can help your doctors by listing all of your symptoms, and use specifics to describe the pain. How long you've had the pain. What makes it worse? What makes it better?

Hope this helps, keep us posted okay?
Paddy

Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

Gnocchi HB User

Wow, did I come to the right place!!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help and solidarity.

Baybreeze -- it's scary how much we have in common!

Thanks again everybody. I see both my podiatrists on Thursday and my rheumy on Friday so I'll update then.

you're the best!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Good luck with your appointments. I know you want to know what is wrong and causing all your problems, but I hope the diagnosis or suspected diagnosis is nothing serious!

Closed Thread