It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

bekfletch HB User
arthritis in the neck

My name is Bek.
I am 35 and since 21 have suffered lower back pain after a diving accident.
With facet joint problems and narrowing dics I have had alot of experience with it.
I have had surgery and pain management etc.....now have a pain patch I change weekly and take a low dose of garbapentim 800mg daily.
I have had alot of pain in my neck for over a year. I put it aside till June then asked the DR about it, he sent me for an xray and it turns out I have arthritis in my neck and he says all I can do is take pain relief, I honestly feel sick and very sad.
I struggle with my back but have come to turns with it, but I am seriously worried too and want to know if anything else can be done.
Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: arthritis in the neck

I'm sorry about your pain and arthritic neck. I have Arthritis in my neck too. It used to crack everytime I moved it and it drove me crazy. Acupuncture is about the only thing that has given me pain relief and I don't have that cracking noise anymore. Hope you find some pain relief. Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi Bek....I have osteoarthritis pretty much all over my body.
I am a dancer and it started in my 30's. I have it my fingers,toes, spine, neck and had my right hip resurfaced last year so i could continue to dance. I agree with the last poster that the only thing that works for pain and the arthritis in the
neck is acupuncture. Also i would find a good pilates instructor or a physical therapist who could help you with the
muscles in the neck and should area to strengthen them and
provide added support to your neck which is holding up our
heads...which are very heavy. Also some one to check out
your posture to make sure your head is over your body and
not sticking out forward which would put even more stress
on the neck....Karen

Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
(female)

Wymom94 HB User

Hi Bek, I'd try to get an MRI of your neck. An x-ray doesn't show as much as an MRI shows and if you have arthritis on x-ray, have neck pain & problems, and have had a host of low back/lumbar problems (esp requiring surgery), I'd just feel safer getting a clearer picture of what may be going on with your neck. My neck x-ray also showed mild arthritis in my neck, but an MRI just 2 yrs later showed extensive damage requiring urgent surgery (NOT saying you might have extensive damage, just trying to illustrate how an MRI can show so much more than an xpray). Also, I had a back x-ray only a month or two before my lumbar MRI was done and the x-ray didn't show much at all, the MRI sure did (I had back surgery, too). Your neck might not have anything further than the x-ray shows, but just in case, I'd get an MRI. With a clearer picture, it may help get the best treatment for your neck.
Good luck, Meghan

Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

Bek,
I also have arthritis in the neck. I would wake up with horrible headaches and I was limited on how far to turn my head.
My doctor suggested physical therapy. The foramina (hole the nerves go through) was narrowing and causing irritation to the nerves.

I did a series of stretches to try to prevent the foramina from closing completely and then needing surgery. It seems to have worked somewhat. I still have a bit of limit on neck rotation but no more headaches.
You might ask your doctor about physical therapy.

Closed Thread