It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #16
(female)

SunnyR HB User
Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

I had the basal thumb joint surgery almost 2 years ago. I never had a pin in my thumb! They cut the joint out, took a tendon from my arm and fashioned a joint connection out of the tendon. When I woke up from surgery, I had a temporary cast on which stayed on for a week. Then they removed the temporary cast and gave me a hard cast which stayed on for 6 weeks. After that I had a removable cast and immediately started physical therapy. I wore the removable cast for a couple of months to protect my thumb but I used my hand a lot. I am 51 years old and a busy grandmother, wife and artist etc so I wasn't really thrilled about being out of commission but I didn't miss a beat. After a couple of days of pretty intense pain, I was back to life! I could use my hand in the cast, or I should say fingers. I haven't really had much strength in my hand but the last few months the strength even has been better. But I am glad I had the surgery. I couldn't use my hand at all before surgery the pain was so intense. The surgery was very effective for me and I would recommend it if you have a very good surgeon that has done this surgery a lot! My surgeon is considered the best in Franklin, TN. But also if the pain keeps you from life get it done!

Take care,
Sunny

The following user gives a hug of support to SunnyR:
Haydena (03-29-2011)
Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #17
(female)

pct508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyR View Post
I had the basal thumb joint surgery almost 2 years ago. I never had a pin in my thumb! They cut the joint out, took a tendon from my arm and fashioned a joint connection out of the tendon. When I woke up from surgery, I had a temporary cast on which stayed on for a week. Then they removed the temporary cast and gave me a hard cast which stayed on for 6 weeks. After that I had a removable cast and immediately started physical therapy. I wore the removable cast for a couple of months to protect my thumb but I used my hand a lot. I am 51 years old and a busy grandmother, wife and artist etc so I wasn't really thrilled about being out of commission but I didn't miss a beat. After a couple of days of pretty intense pain, I was back to life! I could use my hand in the cast, or I should say fingers. I haven't really had much strength in my hand but the last few months the strength even has been better. But I am glad I had the surgery. I couldn't use my hand at all before surgery the pain was so intense. The surgery was very effective for me and I would recommend it if you have a very good surgeon that has done this surgery a lot! My surgeon is considered the best in Franklin, TN. But also if the pain keeps you from life get it done!

Take care,
Sunny
Thank you for your very comprehensive and encouraging response! I did decide to have the surgery, which I had March 5. My surgery sounds identical to what you had--no pins, no screws, a tendon removed from my arm, etc. As I type this message, I am still in the hard cast, which is coming off Friday (April 3, 2009). After that, I will probably be in a removable one, like yours, and I will start PT. My surgeon said I will most likely be pain free after approx. 3 months of PT, but that I may not regain 100% of my strength back in that thumb. Pain-free was so much more important to me, 100% strength in my left thumb is secondary to that. I am 50 years old and was unwilling to continue the rest of my life in that kind of pain. I am happy to hear yours was successful!

The Following User Says Thank You to pct508 For This Useful Post:
positiveP (07-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
(female)

emeryld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pct508 View Post
Thank you for your very comprehensive and encouraging response! I did decide to have the surgery, which I had March 5. My surgery sounds identical to what you had--no pins, no screws, a tendon removed from my arm, etc. As I type this message, I am still in the hard cast, which is coming off Friday (April 3, 2009). After that, I will probably be in a removable one, like yours, and I will start PT. My surgeon said I will most likely be pain free after approx. 3 months of PT, but that I may not regain 100% of my strength back in that thumb. Pain-free was so much more important to me, 100% strength in my left thumb is secondary to that. I am 50 years old and was unwilling to continue the rest of my life in that kind of pain. I am happy to hear yours was successful!
hi I had the same surgery 3 weeks ago and am now in the hard cast. I was wondering....did you have the sensation of numbness, pins and needles and a fat feeling in your thumb? I am still getting pain and that feeling I described. Is that normal?

Thanks
Em

Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #19
(female)

pct508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryld View Post
hi I had the same surgery 3 weeks ago and am now in the hard cast. I was wondering....did you have the sensation of numbness, pins and needles and a fat feeling in your thumb? I am still getting pain and that feeling I described. Is that normal?

Thanks
Em
Gosh, I don't remember having any of that and I have no idea if it is normal or not. I would talk to your doctor. "Pins and needles" and numbness doesn't sound normal, but who knows? To me, it sounds like your cast may be too tight--maybe you still have a lot of swelling? I would definitely call your doctor to see what he/she has to say. If it's nothing, you will feel better knowing that it's nothing. If it's something, your doctor should know about it.

As an aside, I had my surgery 3/5/09. Today is 10/2/09 and I am SO grateful I had this surgery. I do not have 100% strength, maybe 95%, and I'm happy with that. Also, I am not 100% pain free, but I would say 97% pain free, and I hope this info. makes you feel better. I was diligent about doing the physical therapy, and I think that makes a difference.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
(female)

SunnyR HB User

I don't remember pins and needles but that doesn't mean that I didn't have that problem because it has been a couple years since my surgery. There is swelling in the tissues and since the wrist is area is prone to nerve compression when there is swelling, it makes sense that you have a feeling of pins and needles. I would ask your doctor to be sure. I had odd feelings and some painful moments for several months the surgery but it was usually when I wasn't careful. My doctor said not to worry though that I couldn't do damage to the "new joint".

The strength in my hand is getting better and better. Sometimes I can tell when I have over exerted my hand but I am so very glad I had the surgery! For a long time, I couldn't open a new jar but now I can. Since my surgery was on my left hand, I would grip the jar lid in my right hand upside down and twist with my left hand to pop the seal and loosen it and then quickly turn the jar right side up then I could open the jar the rest of the way. You come up with little tricks to compensate until you get full strength back. I don't have to do that any more.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
(female)

emeryld HB User

Thanks for the respones and I have called the doctors office and the nurse answering the phone says its normal and that everyone is different as to how long it will last. I just would feel better knowing if anyone else has had this....just worry I guess that nerves have been damaged. The cast I can tell isn't too tight so thats ruled out. Thanks for the encouragement am looking forward to using it pain free.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I had the tendon removed and partial tendon taken out of my forearm and reworked into my thumb..this was done April 15th 2009..

My hand is so STIFF..I did the PT and I exercise my hand every day.

I have just gotten to the point of being able to hold a glass of water and can lift maybe 10-12 lbs but I rarely lift anything heavy due to other health issues.

I think myabe I'm not recovering as fast due to Fibromyalgia and having AO in my hands to begin with.

I hope everything comes out 100% for you and that you do great

Take Care.

~Belle~

Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
(female)

yoga woman HB User

does anyone who has had the surgery practice yoga? I need to have the basal joint surgery-- but am wondering how long after before I can practice yoga again as it requires a lot of weight bearing on my hands, anyone have any experience with that?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #24
(female)

pct508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga woman View Post
does anyone who has had the surgery practice yoga? I need to have the basal joint surgery-- but am wondering how long after before I can practice yoga again as it requires a lot of weight bearing on my hands, anyone have any experience with that?

First, I cannot believe you are practicing yoga. Ouch!! You will be in PT after you have the surgery and once the cast comes off. Everyone's recovery schedule is different, and your physical therapist will be able to tell you when you are ready for yoga again. For me, I was unable to practice yoga before the surgery (too painful), and now that I've had it, I've found other ways to stay fit.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #25
(female)

yoga woman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pct508 View Post
First, I cannot believe you are practicing yoga. Ouch!! You will be in PT after you have the surgery and once the cast comes off. Everyone's recovery schedule is different, and your physical therapist will be able to tell you when you are ready for yoga again. For me, I was unable to practice yoga before the surgery (too painful), and now that I've had it, I've found other ways to stay fit.

The yoga is not too painful ( sometimes not at all) as my hands are flat-- and I can redistribute much of the weight to other parts of my hands than those darn thmb joints! What hurts is anything that is a pinching motion-- like sewing, weeding the garden, writing with pen or pencil, using my computer mouse. AND the worst thing is when the bones seem to catch on each other and send those sharp shooting pains up my arm

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #26
(female)

SunnyR HB User

I am guessing that you haven't had the surgery yet by what you have said. I would get the same sharp pain run up my arm when the malformed bone would get caught. You will be able to do yoga after surgery just not right away. You will be in a cast for several weeks and then a cast that you can remove for a while but you will be doing physical therapy during that time. You will know and your physical therapist will know when you can return to yoga full out. I know there are some yoga positions that you don't need to put pressure on your hand. I am very grateful that I did it. It has been 3 years since I did it and my strength has slowly come back in my hand.

Good luck and take care.
Sunny R

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
(female)

velcro3 HB User
Question Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Hi,
I also have to have this surgery in about 6 weeks. I am really afraid of the pain and recovery, but my arthritis is stage 3 and I have almost continuous low level pain and sometimes pretty bad pain. My thumb is weak, and I know I don't have much of a choice if I want to maintain use of my thumb. I'm 51 and had a cortisone shot that lasted about 3 months.

How bad is the pain? I plan on taking only a few days off, but after reading other posts, I'm going to call my doctor to see if this is realistic. I don't completely need my left hand for work, but I don't want to be in agony at work either!

Thanks all--forums are great for real info. My doctor says the first two days will be bad, but then it will be better

Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #28
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Hi Velcro,

The first couple of days is pretty painful but you get through it. I am sure everyone has different pain tolerances. I don't like pain medication and only took if for a few days but I HAD to take it . My surgery was on my left hand too and I was back at work about 3 days after surgery. As soon as I could, I used my four fingers on my left hand sticking out of my cast. You will know when you can go back to work. I would take a few days with the understanding that if you need one or two more days that your work has a heads up about that. My job didn't require me to use my left hand and I wasn't on pain medication when I went back to work(except for Tylenol or Motrin here and there).

I was almost 50 when I had the surgery. I hear the basal thumb joint is a very common place to have arthritis but not everyone has continual pain due. I heard it is how the bone is malformed that makes a difference. Mine was shaped like a shark tooth with a floating bone fragment that broke off in the joint. It had to be done and now I am so very glad that I did it!!!! No regrets!!!! It has been a couple years now and it is just getting stronger

Take care and let us know how it goes!

Blessings,
Sunny R

Last edited by SunnyR; 11-04-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: I misspelled a word and needed to clarify something.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #29
(female)

pct508 HB User
Smile Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcro3 View Post
Hi,
I also have to have this surgery in about 6 weeks. I am really afraid of the pain and recovery, but my arthritis is stage 3 and I have almost continuous low level pain and sometimes pretty bad pain. My thumb is weak, and I know I don't have much of a choice if I want to maintain use of my thumb. I'm 51 and had a cortisone shot that lasted about 3 months.

How bad is the pain? I plan on taking only a few days off, but after reading other posts, I'm going to call my doctor to see if this is realistic. I don't completely need my left hand for work, but I don't want to be in agony at work either!

Thanks all--forums are great for real info. My doctor says the first two days will be bad, but then it will be better

Dear Velcro3:

I had the surgery on a Thursday afternoon, and was back to work on Tuesday. I could have gone back to work on Monday, but I had already planned to take that day off. After the surgery my doctor had written me a prescription for 50 Vicodin which frightened me--I wondered why on earth I would need so many, and just exactly what kind of pain did she expect me to be in?? Turned out, I didn't need that many at all. I didn't even use half of the 50. With that, my experience was that it was not nearly as painful as I had thought it would be.

Good luck and best wishes with yours. If you're like me, you'll be SO glad you made the decision to have it!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #30
(female)

velcro3 HB User

Thanks pct!

I called today to ask. My surgery will be on Wed., and the nurse said I should be able to return to work the following Monday. I hope they give me enough decent meds to take the edge off the first few days. Thanks for your encouragement. It has to be done--I know, but it's not like heart surgery or something where you have no choice or you might not live.

Thanks again!

Gayle

Closed Thread