It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

Biyak123 HB User
Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

I am to have basal joint surgery on my left thumb in three weeks.(Osteoarthritis)
I would like to know how effective surgery was for others and the time of recovery. I do have a pamphlet but would like the opinions of others. Thanks.

Biya

The following user gives a hug of support to Biyak123:
Birdman1944 (08-21-2011)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
(female)

JoyNett HB User
Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Hey Biya,

Wow - that's very discouraging that no one replied to your post. I just found this board today. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and am wondering how you are doing? I had the arthroplasty with ligament reconstruction.

I hope you found answers. Did you have surgery? If you did, how has recovery gone?

The following user gives a hug of support to JoyNett:
two2dogs (03-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I had many other surgeries on my bones, but not this one. I just feel so bad people not responding as well as they do on other boards...
I read one post here where person had I believe same surgery, I think post called 5 weeks after surgery - it may be helpful to you to read.

I can imagine your pain... Unfortunatelly takes very long time for bone surgeries to heal. But that light at the end of the tunnel is almost here... do you see it?

Best of luck on your recovery!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
(female)

harrishawk HB User

I'm 66 years of age and have severe arthritis in both thumbs.
Two months ago (Oct 2008) I had my IP joint (tip) fused and the CMC joint (base of thumb) trapezium bone, replaced with a implant cartilage allograft, and tendon from my forearm. I was in a post surgical cast for 2 weeks, then a thumb spica cast for another
6 weeks and now have a removable spica splint for 6 more weeks. After this 6 weeks, I'll go back into surgery to have the hardware (a 1 1/2 inch titanium screw) that was used to fuse the thumb tip, removed. It will take "up to a year" to gain back strength and full function. This surgery wasn't a lot of fun, but it gets better each day, and already feels better than the unoperated thumb. I was willing to have the surgery and go through the recovery for a year, hope to get a good result for the next 15 - 20 years. Good luck to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to harrishawk:
two2dogs (03-28-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrishawk For This Useful Post:
dgarafa1 (11-06-2012), two2dogs (03-28-2011)
Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
(female)

JoyNett HB User

Thanks so much for the replies!

I still have a k wire in my hand that is to come out next Tuesday. This has been most uncomfortable over the past week since all the bandaging and splint from surgery was removed. I'm in a removable splint now - can take off the sock and wear the splint in the shower now. It is getting better every day and less painful!

I am a little concerned about how the wire will be removed.......has anyone experienced this? I hope the dr does something to numb my hand first .

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I do see that light shining bright.

Are there other boards related to arthritis / hand surgery & recovery?

The following user gives a hug of support to JoyNett:
two2dogs (03-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyNett For This Useful Post:
two2dogs (03-28-2011)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
(female)

Carol41 HB User

I had the surgery on my left thumb on Jan 6th. I had a bandage splint for a week and then a cast for five more weeks. I have about 9 days before I get the cast off. This has been the most painful of all the surgeries I have had. The thumb still aches like a tooth ache. I am wondering how the doctor will take the wire out that is in the thumb. He says it's no big deal, but it is to me. He says I have to wait 6 months to a year to get it out. Good luck to all of you who have had this surgery.......Carol

Old 02-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
(female)

harrishawk HB User

Hi.
Hope that Joynett and Carol41 are both continuing to do well after their thumb reconstructions. Both refer to "pins" in their thumbs. My repair was done with a 1 1/2" titanium screw. It was removed 3 months after the surgery, under anesthesia, the same as the initial surgery, sutures out 10 days later. To have left the screw in would have felt very uncomfortable when the thumb tip touched anything, and it would have conducted cold in the winter. I'm working on strength and range of motion exercises daily. Good luck to you both.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
(female)

Carol41 HB User

I had a subtalar fusion of my ankle. The two screws that were put in the heel, had to come out about seven months after, cause the cold made them hurt. Metal in the body is always a problem if it is exposed to cold.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
(female)

pct508 HB User

In two weeks I am scheduled to have surgery on my arthritic thumb. However, the dr. made no mention whatsoever of screws, wires, or any other hardware. She is going to slice off a piece of bone at the base of my thumb, then do some sort of reconstruction with a ligament (tendon?) from my arm. Has anyone had this type of surgery? Also, I'd like to know how a surgical incision heals with a cast over it. Thanks very much.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
(female)

harrishawk HB User
Smile Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pct508 View Post
In two weeks I am scheduled to have surgery on my arthritic thumb. However, the dr. made no mention whatsoever of screws, wires, or any other hardware. She is going to slice off a piece of bone at the base of my thumb, then do some sort of reconstruction with a ligament (tendon?) from my arm. Has anyone had this type of surgery? Also, I'd like to know how a surgical incision heals with a cast over it. Thanks very much.

Yes, I had thumb reconstruction surgery in October 2008 (see post dated 01-06-2009 for details). My incision was sutured and dressed with gauze, the hand was in a surgical cast for 2 weeks. The sutures were removed and steri-strips were placed over the incision, and a solid cast was put on for 6 more weeks. The screw I had wasnt for the base of the thumb. It was for the tip of my thumb which was fused as part of the total thumb reconstruction.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
(female)

marirlpn HB User

I had this surgery two years ago and my thumb still aches, but my gripping strength is better. I had a nail in for about 2 weeks. The pain was horrible when they took it out, no anesthetic. Now my surgeon doesn't even put one in his patients anymore. I had a cast for 6 weeks, sutured area is well-dressed so it heals well.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
(female)

pct508 HB User
Cool Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Quote:
Originally Posted by marirlpn View Post
I had this surgery two years ago and my thumb still aches, but my gripping strength is better. I had a nail in for about 2 weeks. The pain was horrible when they took it out, no anesthetic. Now my surgeon doesn't even put one in his patients anymore. I had a cast for 6 weeks, sutured area is well-dressed so it heals well.

Thanks very much for your response. Did you doctor mention why your thumb still aches??

Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #13
(female)

linweid HB User

I had basal thumb surgery almost one year ago (April 2008). I was in 3 different casts for a total of 10 weeks. I had a pin holding the thumb joint to the index finger joint. I did not feel a thing when the Dr. pulled the pin out with a plyers. I was excited about going back to work, but only lasted 4 days and went home in pain. I had alot of sick time accumulated and am now near the end of my 140 paid sick days. I have to retire now, at age 61. I can lift less than 5 pounds with that hand. I don't know anyone else who had the surgery so I can't compare. Without the surgey the outcome would have been the same way, unable to lift more than 5 pounds. The only way I would ever have the surgery done on my right hand is if I was in severe pain.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
(female)

pct508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linweid View Post
I had basal thumb surgery almost one year ago (April 2008). I was in 3 different casts for a total of 10 weeks. I had a pin holding the thumb joint to the index finger joint. I did not feel a thing when the Dr. pulled the pin out with a plyers. I was excited about going back to work, but only lasted 4 days and went home in pain. I had alot of sick time accumulated and am now near the end of my 140 paid sick days. I have to retire now, at age 61. I can lift less than 5 pounds with that hand. I don't know anyone else who had the surgery so I can't compare. Without the surgey the outcome would have been the same way, unable to lift more than 5 pounds. The only way I would ever have the surgery done on my right hand is if I was in severe pain.
Thanks very much for your response, and I'm sorry to hear you had to use all that sick time but you are lucky it was available for you to use. I had the surgery a week ago and am still in a splint (cast will come next week), but I have no pins or screws. I am hopeful I will have a full recovery (as full as can be expected).

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
(female)

linweid HB User

It sounds like yours won't be so bad. After one week, I would not have been able to use the computer because I had alot of pain. I still had the soft cast on that was on after the surgery.
Oh, by the way, typing on the computer one handed is a real challenge too.

My husband just told me we're going to go turn in my retirement papers in about an hour. I'm excited. I'm fortunate I had a good pension plan or I don't know what I would have done. I won't be 62 til October 31.

Closed Thread