It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

Stepper HB UserStepper HB User
Ear Arthritis?

This may sound crazy, but I have ear-cartilage pain (sometimes very severe), and it is like my cartilage is deteriorating in my ear (they are changing shape, if that makes since). Isn't arthritis deteriation of the cartilage (to keep it simple)? I creak and crack in many places - knees, etc. and do have diagnosed arthritis in my knee, so obvious that an x-ray was not even necessary because it makes so much of a grinding sound. Anyway, trying to keep this short. Have any of you been diagnosed with ear arthritis?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Ear Arthritis?

I answer just to keep your post in an air.
Unfortunately I can't help you with your question. I have Ostheo and RA, but I never heard of ear artritis.
Did you check this with your ENT? Yes, arthritis is a problem with a joints, muscles, tendence, ligaments, cartlidge (all depends on a type of your Arthritis).

I would definitely check this out. I wonder if you had any tests done on that area, like CT or MRI? Both of them are great in dx problems.

Best of luck to you and I hope you will start feeling better; sounds so painful what you have!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

Moldova,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been considering an MRI. I talked to a radiologist some time ago, and he said an MRI would be better than a CT as far as the head goes, but he also said it is hard to get info of the head compared to the rest of the body (or something like that... can't remember his exact wording). But, without insurance, it is a major decision. I have spent a small fortune on lab in the last couple of years with ENT and rheumatologist - all negative. I saw a post that B6 is responsibe for cartilage loss, and saw my doc a couple of months ago for my annual and asked for a B6 level, which she tried to do, but there was some problem with the sample, so I have to go in to have it redrawn and plan to do that in the next couple of months with my next lab draw. So, I guess that is my next step, then maybe have a rheumatoid panel done again since maybe things have gotten worse in the last couple of years and maybe something will show up then, then, of course, the MRI (maybe) if all else fails.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
(female)

mimi423 HB User

Hello, my son (21) was diagnosed as having the markers for AIED, autoimmune inner ear disease, I have RA. If the markers ever "turn on" he will have to start taking mtx for the rest of his life, hopefully they never will. If his hearing starts to go down, he has to have tests immediately as this will indicate that they have "turned on". However, this will effect his inner ear, not his outer cartiledge. The tests that showed this were intricate blood tests, not CATs or MRIs.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
(female)

mimi423,

Thank you for your post and the information. I've done a little research online, and it does not really sound like what I have... I hope not, and I sure hope you son will never have to deal with that.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

ear pain 101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper View Post
This may sound crazy, but I have ear-cartilage pain (sometimes very severe), and it is like my cartilage is deteriorating in my ear (they are changing shape, if that makes since). Isn't arthritis deteriation of the cartilage (to keep it simple)? I creak and crack in many places - knees, etc. and do have diagnosed arthritis in my knee, so obvious that an x-ray was not even necessary because it makes so much of a grinding sound. Anyway, trying to keep this short. Have any of you been diagnosed with ear arthritis?
What kind of shape are your ears forming? Just wondering. Mine are changing shape too, and I don't know why. The cartilage is going away, also. I can actually start to see the shape of the bones in my outer ear. It's really weird. I'm wondering if it's just an aging process or if there is something really wrong.......... Let me know what you found out about yours, ok? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
(female)

Hi ear pain 101,

I just found your post... why I'm late in replying. The best way I can describe the shape of my ears changing is that the cartilage is less defined, where it once was somewhat of a sharp definition it is now more of a rounded definition or lack of definition. I hope that makes sense. I haven't found out anything other than what I have researched and posted here. Sigh... very frustrating

Closed Thread