It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

reanna29 HB User
Knee arthritis

Hi everyone! I am new to the board and in need of some help/advice. I am a 29 year old woman, very athletic, recently began having knee troubles. I had an MRI which showed grade IV chondromalacia/arthritic changes but my doc said surgery is not an option for me. I am used to doing a lot of activity and now can barely climb the stairs. I am desperate for any advice/experience that anyone might have with this......any help would be much appreciated. Thank you again!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

77pip77 HB User
Re: Knee arthritis

I was very sporty too, I was fitter than I could ever be. I had a great body for my age and I jogged in the mornings and did a light workout every other day. I was into most sports and rowed for charity none stop for four hours at 40. A year later my knees started to play up and I could,nt do stairs without being in excrushiating pain. I had an MRI on both knees. I had a calcium build up on the out side of my bones joining the knee joint and they scraped it off. I was also told it was osteoarthiritis and I had plenty of physio. I eventually lost my job through not being 100% fit and you had to be fit on the job I did. I was still in great pain and decided not to have an op on the other knee until my left one got better. I was told by my then doctor that it was caused by wear and tear and that its a part of life. I was only 43 at the time and wanted help to find out why it happened and how I can make it better or at least stop it from getting worse. But I just got painkillers. I was very disalussioned and alone. I decided to take glucosamine for my joints and to keep up the physio which also helped. I studied what foods to avoid and what foods help. I went to hot countries to ease the pain because the sun does wonders. The doctors say its not proven that the sun helps and that its related to stress. But the sun does help. I am improving everyday. It helps to have a positive mind and never give up looking after your knees.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

reanna29 HB User

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that. I just think it stinks that both your and my doctor told us it's just a part of life when there is a huge difference between being very sporty and having a hard time climbing the stairs!! I think you are so right about having a positive attitude, I need to be reminded of that. I will look into glucosamine and have been trying to adjust my diet (I am putting on the pounds already just from being inactive). Thanks again for writing back.
Reanna

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I was diagnosed with Chondromalcia in both knees. Because my right knee was out of alignment too, I had arthroscopic surgery on it several years ago. The Dr. did a lateral release and it took awhile, but I don't have much pain in it anymore. I have osteoarthritis in several other joints. Did the Dr. explain why surgery is not an option for you? It's worked for lots of people. Btw, I'm jealous that you live in San Francisco, but it must hurt so badly when you have to walk up or down the hills there.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
(female)

77pip77 HB User

I bet because you guys have had knee troubles that you have looked into knee problems quite a lot like me. Well help me out here. Most findings of bones say that all our bones in our bodies regenerate. Im not sure if its two years or longer for our bones to regenerate to completeley new bones. So if this is the case why can,t our conditions be helped to be cured. Its nice to able to have a conversation with people who are in the same boat. To the lady who asked why can,t I have an op on the other knee. I can but its like this. I had severe pain in both knees equally. I had an endocostopy op on my left knee over a year ago and to my standards the left knee is now the weakest. So Im afraid to have the same op on my right knee just in case. I also have a lot of pain in my neck and it gives me terrible headaches most of the time. But I believe pain killers or to many can make it worse. I try to deal with this off my own steam and feel fustrated that no one can see the pain therefore I fell they feel it does,nt exist. Although I lost the best job in the world I never sat back and felt sorry for my self. I have travelled and done a lot of voluntary work. When I,ve been in groups to work I might do the work slower and some times on my bum but I get the job done and everyone is pleased. BUT !! when I apply for the voluntary work I never let on to them that I have arthiritis in case they don,t except me. But once Im there I explain and they see and know I do as good as the next person but just differently. Thankfully when I was in Australia a lot of my voluntary work was with looking after tiny baby kangeroos and feeding them with special formular baby milk. Doing my voluntary work helped me mentally to realise Im not useless and gave me confidence. I must stress I don,t look in pain and Im not doubled over but thats because of my own excercises and physio and I was so ultra fit that now Im adjusting. I do get down from time to time but will get through this. It just would of been nice if some one in the medical profession would have gone all out to help instead of me feeling like Im a peace of meat on a production line and me not hearing the words NEXT !! when I walk out the door.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
(female)

hickey HB User

Sorry about your trouble. It does stink but there is so much more out there to do.
I was extremely active, athletic, running and doing my stuff. My knees quit before I did. My physical therapist told me that running is really not a great thing to do for the knees. Especially if you run on the hard surface.
Now, my knees make a lot of noise and I definitely can't run. Stairs are painful.
I do take cortisone injections for the overall pain relief and I changed my ideas about being athletic.
I started swimming, lots of laps. Great for the pain and muscles. With my injection, the pain relief is huge. So I can walk my stairs, can get out of my bed and get to the gym. I also do weight circuit training, slow and no weight on the knees.
There are many ways to be athletic and active.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
(female)

reanna29 HB User

Thank you guys for lifting my spirits!! I am definitely feeling a lot less helpless than before. Sunshine123, I am really not sure why surgery isn't an option. The doc told me that sometimes when cartilage is gone in spots they can regrow it, but mine is completely gone so there is nothing they can do. I just don't get it! I should have asked more questions but I felt like I was being rushed and was so in shock from the MRI results that I did nothing. I love San Francisco I came out here for college from the East Coast and never went back because I fell in love with the city, but the hills are bad!! Thanks Hickey for your swimming suggestion. I have always enjoyed swimming and it makes sense that it isn't too tough on your joints. I have to ask about that one! And 77Pip77, I so admire the fact that you have been through so much but don't stop and let it get you down or feel sorry for yourself. I have been eating ice cream straight from the carton and feeling upset since my doc appointment on Tuesday so obviously I need a little help in that department!!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pip77 View Post
. Well help me out here. Most findings of bones say that all our bones in our bodies regenerate. Im not sure if its two years or longer for our bones to regenerate to completeley new bones. So if this is the case why can,t our conditions be helped to be cured. .
I'm sorry to hear you have so much pain.
I would guess arthritis may also be why your neck hurts so may want an X-ray of that.

That's true, bone cells do keep replaceing themselves.
However arthritis has nothing what so ever to do with your bones growing or not growing.
Arthritis is NOT a bone disease.
There are over 100 types of arthritis.

Osteoarthritis is a disease of the cartilidge that cushions the bone at the joints. Without this cushion our bones at that joint clink very painfully together and even get misalign.
In an accident involving a young person this cartilidge can get broken. The surgen will actually operate to remove the broken cartilidge, knowing the body will grow new cartilidge AS LONG AS THE PERSON DOES NOT YET HAVE OSTEOARTHRITIS.
Cartilidge actually does replace itself as it wears over time, but it stops replacing itself when the disease called osteoarthritis hits.

I know because I actually had that cartilidge removal surgery in 1979 and all the cartilidge did grow back. Knee worked fine again. Even had proof in the form of X-rays to show the cartilidge all replaced.

20 years later my osteoarthritis vaugely began to appeared in many of my joints and so now the cartlidge no longer replaces itself as wears itself down from the daily movement of the joints. ( My osteoarthritis has progressed as we added add another 10 years on top of that 20 years. I'm 61½ and now my arthritis is problematic most days)

No one really knows why we get this disease called arthritis but is most definataly a genetic based disease. Scientist are currently studying Stem Cell's in hopes of figureing out how to encourage our bodies keep replacing this cartlidige.

(I believe it's British scientists I read about that are very enthused about stem cells curing this after studies are complete.. in maybe as little as only 5 years from now. I'm not sure where I read that, but I did read about it.)

But that is for osteoarthritis, which is only one form of the disease referred to as arthritis.

I think you've confused osteoarthritis with osteoporosis.
Short and very condensed explaination...
As a child ..bone form plates and grow.. as height is added certain bone cells add new bone fast and other cells tear down old bone. As a result our bones get longer and we get taller.

For the average human the tallest they will ever become is reached at aprox age 30. At that point the body automatically slows down the builder cells, since only replacement is needed instead of more height. However it does not slow down the cells that tear down old bone, since they were working slower in the first place.

Osteoporosis occurs when the cells that build bone work a LOT slower than the cells that tear down old bone. As a result bone DENSITY is lost. That is osteoporosis..not arthritis.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-11-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I've experienced discomfort in both knees. I did tests. A doctor told me that I have minor arthritus in one knee. She doesn't suggest me do anything but drink water and walk. She said it will develp during the time. What can I expect to happen. Will I be in pain walking? I am 43 now. What should I do. Any response will be appreciated. My mother has rheumatoid arthritus. She was about same age as I when she got sick. It made me very scared.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
(male)

rjvantastic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanna29 View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to the board and in need of some help/advice. I am a 29 year old woman, very athletic, recently began having knee troubles. I had an MRI which showed grade IV chondromalacia/arthritic changes but my doc said surgery is not an option for me. I am used to doing a lot of activity and now can barely climb the stairs. I am desperate for any advice/experience that anyone might have with this......any help would be much appreciated. Thank you again!
Hi my name is Rick and i too am new here, my story is sad but i just want to give u a word or 2 . Try all options of reaching out to all authorities I.E. SSI,the library and your local rehabilitation services. If you stuggle with things like i have u can receive free couseling through the state. the sad part about my situation is that i hav 2 fight 4 everything because of my background in other employment prohibits me to work all day on my bad knee. I have O.A. in my right knee and to old to have the body replace thee old cartilalige regenerate. If u can go to therapy or try to exercise it with out over straining fo course. Pain killers r nice but can be KILLERS to your body & to your appetite. glucosimine is good and i here that fish oil vitamins are good 4 u to help with keeping your joints lubricated. I hope that i've been a help to u, and remember never giv up, i truely feel your pain but by all means stay focused and try to keep a positive attitude.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
(male)

rjvantastic HB User

Was really crazy is agencies give you a hard time like S.S.D. and D.H.S. I get frustrated with the way they handle cases. I have to retrain cause my right knee prohibits me from doing the jobs i done before. My knee has O.A. osteo arthritis which is a degenerive descease on the cartilidge. But I keep fighting and try to stay focused and positive .

Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
(female)

reanna29 HB User

Thanks Rick! I really appreciate you writing that and I'm sorry that you are dealing with all of that pain. Your advice is helpful and I know it is important to stay positive. Thanks again for writing back, Reanna

Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
(female)

77pip77 HB User

I,ve read everyones comments and though I wish I could help all of you. I have to admit its nice to know Im not alone. Each one of you has given an account of how you feel, what your conditon is and I can relate to these and feel not so alone. I will tell you what helps my condition and hopefully it will help. Now both my knees are in pain and I get O.A. in other areas of my body. I was 43 when it started and now Im 46 nearly 47. I take 1000mg of glucosamine.,Omega three,multivitamin B supplements,Vit D in the winter as there is not much sun light and a multivitamine everyday I do light physio on my knees and I do light weights for my arms and back every other day. But I do these weights laying on my back, very light and very slow. Im supposed to take 1 thousand and forty four tablets a year but only take them when the pain is unbearable. I buy ginger from the veg shop and slice it up and drink it with hot water sipping it. I avoid acidic drinks like pinneapple juice, orange juice etc. Going to a hot country does help even though doctors disagree. But I believe thats because pharmasuetical commanies can,t make money if you take that option. Heres the proof that hot weather helps. Doctors tell us here that stress is a major factor of our condition. But when I went to Australia my condition was suprisingly better. When I came back I thought well I was,nt stressed in Australia so maybe the doctors are right. But then I decided to test the theory. I went to house sit in New mexico in the mountains to look after two dogs. It was very hot there and it was 8,200 feet above sea level. The owner was in the film industry and was never there. So I was alone in the middle of nowhere with snakes, Bears, Kiotees and stray dogs (13) in all. I was scared being a female alone for three weeks at a time and guess what !! Not hardly any pain. Believe me I was stressed. Why did I stay you might ask. Well, The lack of pain,the beauty of the mountains, the dogs,the peace and quiet,the solitude and the free food and free accomadation out one the fear of bumping into a bear etc. I could,nt of ran anyway so I was very alert wherever I went. I did,nt have a lot of money for either of my adventures and I never told anyone that I had arthitis until I got there for fear of rejection. Please don,t give up and will always be here to give hope to whom ever needs it.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

There is an "old wives tale" about arthritis feeling worse in the cold and being able to predict storms via increased pain during barameter changes. I considered that a fairy tale since I have had bad OA in my knees and entire spine for a decade and the weather NEVER effected it.

Then along came the OA in my feet.
Sure changed my mind and made a believer out of me
My foot OA gets more painful in the cold. I did not expect that to happen.
There is no diff in my back or knee OA when the weather changes but Oh, yeah my foot OA sends me rather sharp pain signals when a monster storm is approaching.

Perhaps how the weather effects are felt by your arthritis depends on which joints the arthritis is in? Seems to be that way for me. BTW I do live in NW Indiana where we just had an ice storm and outdoor temps are heading toward zero this weekend. My feets are staying the house this week in nice thick warm slippers! That works for me.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
(female)

gknee HB User
Talking Re: Knee arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts View Post
There is an "old wives tale" about arthritis feeling worse in the cold and being able to predict storms via increased pain during barameter changes. I considered that a fairy tale since I have had bad OA in my knees and entire spine for a decade and the weather NEVER effected it.

Then along came the OA in my feet.
Sure changed my mind and made a believer out of me
My foot OA gets more painful in the cold. I did not expect that to happen....
Girl, girl, girl welcome to the world of meteorologists. I live in So. California and can tell whenever high and low pressure zones change. I couldn't imagine living in a climate that gets more extreme weather.

Last edited by gknee; 01-02-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Closed Thread